Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What should I expect in the coming months???

I am beginning my journey on Monday, September 15 for the initial seminar. My insurance covers the surgery so I'm not too worried about that aspect...but I am concerned about denial. What are some of the reasons dr's deny patients??

Also, how long does the process usually take from seminar to surgery day? I'm going to be using a doctor that is 1 1/2 - 2 hours away from where I live and with a 10 month old, my husband and I both in school...and no reliable sitter...and then the cost of gas (ugh!)...how many visits and what kind of visits will I need to attend pre-op.

I just need some reassurance...getting kind of worried now:scared2: And I haven't even started yet! :smile:

It really depends on your surgeon and your insurance.

I went to a seminar on 7/10. On 7/18 I had my first appt with the surgeon and decided to proceed (well I knew I wanted to before the seminar, but that meeting was where I told the surgeon I was going forward etc) 7/25 I had an upper GI series, met with the psych and nutrition consultants, and met with the surgeon again. After that, once the hospitals insurance coordinator got all my test results (I had to ask the psych person to speed it up and she graciously accommodated me) I was approved for surgery on 8/11. I went to hospital for HOURS of preop tests (chest x-ray, ecg, blood draw, abdominal ultra sound) plus a nutrition class on what to eat week 1 post op. I had surgery on 8/11. They didn't place my band but had the doc done so, then I would've gone back 8/19 for 1 week post op appt and more nutrition class, plus an exercise class.

Furthermore my doc asks people who live in outlying areas to remain in town for a few days post op.

Your surgeon will have his or her own requirements. Can you find one closer to home? We are expected to go in at present intervals for follow up, fills, etc. Plus what if an incision gets infected etc? You need to be able to go to your surgeons office frequently (once a month or more maybe) at least during the 1st few months.

I wish there was a closer option. I'm in Marinette, WI which is an hour north of Green Bay, WI...which is where the closet surgeon is to me...but he doesn't accept my insurance, so further south I have to go. Uhhh...to live in Northern WI... :smile:)

If it helps, I'm going to be using Theda Clark in Neenah, WI...so if anyone has been there can help me out, I would very much appreciate it!!!

I went to my first doc appointment on sep 4th the doc is abount an hour away they scheduled me for a scope to look for hernia on sep 6th I did my psyc evaluation through the email she said I didnt set off any red flags so I never had to see her I did the nutritionalist over the phone and through email they let me go to a lab by my house for the lab work and now I have my pre-op on the 18th and surgery on October 3rd !!!!!!!!!!! it all happend within a month

Keep in mind you are the customer. Yes, this is medicine, but it is still a business. Let them know you need to put as many appts as possible on the same day. Some of your pre-op tests can often be done by your primary or at a lab closer to your home. Ask what your options are. When they offer you an appt time if it does not fit your schedule, do not be afraid to speak up and ask them to look for something more convient to you. They should not mind, your office should want to support you, so you can have the best outcome. Good luck! :smile:

Go For it !! Are you, alone, seeing the surgeon at an appt. ? Or is this a general seminar open to others ?

Either way, this is a good question to bring up and ask plenty of them....:smile:

i went to a general Seminar, after i had a meeting with the surgeon. The general seminar was what i really needed, 1st, before seeing the surgeon. (I tried to wait to save for the insurance copay but my health started getting complicated and decided not to wait any longer) . Start a list- NOW I didn't till after the seminar. Jot down the concerns and questions you have as you think about them. it helps a lot. Every one is different but before the surgery, ask about typical experiences: what kind of work and lifting can you do right after surgery;how much can you lift (like your toddler); How soon until you can drive; go back to school.

Others may have problems with child care or be from out of town. so ask. Usually, one of the speakers/consultants can answer or direct you to someone who can. Sometimes the person only has to remain in town for a day or 2, rather than in the hospital and specific nearby hotels are used for 'aftercare'.

Time - If it is a general meeting. it can be a few weeks to up to 3 months for an appt with the surgeon. If your family doctor refers you, it can be faster.

At the initial visit with the surgeon and their consultants, they will tell you which tests/evaluations will be needed. How soon these can be arranged and results sent to the insurance co. will affect how soon it is approved. Every insurance co. is different. I lucked out and had the initial evals scheduled within in 3 weeks of seeing the surgeon. If everything had gone smoothly, these could have been submitted in 6-8 weeks after the initial appt. The surgeon had dealt with my insurance co already, said about 3-4 months from his appt to surgery. (but then i developed some health problems affecting surgery so that's delayed, to more like 5-6 months):thumbup:

I to have to travel to my surgen. I asked my surgen if I could do my preops in my home city. I was able to do my upper gi and my psyc eval in my own city. I am all about my kids so I think I could have easily taken my own child to my first visit. The first visit was quick and to the point. I think that the post op appt. would probably be ok also except you are not suppose to lift more than like 10lbs so you have to think about that. Talk to your surgens office and find out what to expect.

Also as far as your insurance goes find out what there pre qualifications are. Many require a 6 supervised diet and other hoops to jump through. I would call your insurance and ask specificly what you need to qualify. See if they can send you a list of the qualifications because I hear they sometimes forget to tell you something and when you don't have it they will denie you. Having your qualifications in front of you can also help you get the information together for your surgen to send in. Also get to know your insurance advocate well. They will be the ones that will send your paper work in to the insurance for you. They will also request the info they need from your PCP. My surgens office was taking to long to request the info from my PCP so I requested it my self to be sent to them, it probably saved me two weeks.

The more you know the more you can advocate for yourself. Also look on LBT and find people in your area that have been banded by your Dr. you may even find someone who can help out with child care for a few hours while you are at the dr. Good luck........