Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sept. Samurai Surgery Check-in

I am a first-timer. I was banded on Monday, Sept. 8th. I’m not really in pain anymore except for me back. Every time I think I am past the “gassing” stage it comes back. Thank god for Gas-x thin strips. I don’t think I have been having enough Protein. I hadn’t been able to drink the slim fast until today. I have been feeling a little shaky. Has anyway else felt shaky?:lol:

yeah I was in the same boat until I went in today for my post op when the surgeon said I could progress to pureed Progresso. That felt better than soy Protein or egg white protein shakes! Looking forward to pureeing things from the Eating Well cookbook.. I'm still a little sore near the port but that's about it. Back to work Wednesday!

I am a first-timer. I was banded on Monday, Sept. 8th. I’m not really in pain anymore except for me back. Every time I think I am past the “gassing” stage it comes back. Thank god for Gas-x thin strips. I don’t think I have been having enough Protein. I hadn’t been able to drink the slim fast until today. I have been feeling a little shaky. Has anyway else felt shaky?:)

You will come good once you can get some Protein into you.

I was banded 4 days before you and I took a couple of days to get it together regarding protein.

Best wishes in your recovery!

Hi y'all I was banded on Thursday and I also had a tumor removed at the same time, was in a hella lot of pain yesterday, but I am doing well now. I wish all of you the best I am off to take my first shower.

Hi Everyone, I am having my surgery on the 24th of September and I am soooo excited!

Is there anything you didn't know going in to surgery that you can share with me so I won't be surprised or so that I can plan for it? Just wondering...

My Surgery Story....September 11, 2008

My DH & DS took me to the surgery center at 8am and we got all checked in. The nurse had me pee in a cup (for a PG test) and fill out lots of paperwork. We then went over the financials (meaning, she took the giant check that I had in my purse) and made post-op appointments...one for 3 weeks, one for 6 weeks and one for 6 months.

I waited around for a bit and then it was my turn to go back. The pre-op nurse had me change into a gown/socks/hat and then she weighed me (down 33lbs since first appointment in March!). As she was doing the IV, the patient advocate came by to talk to me and show me her "before" picture. I feel pretty well read on the subject of lap-band so I didn't have too many questions for them. The anesteseolotist came and gave me a shot of versed in my IV and then they wisked me away to the OR. I recall scooting onto the table and commenting on how bright the room was....

and then I was waking up and being told that it was over and I was officially banded! :thumbup:

I'm generally slow to wake from anestesea, but I woke up quickly this time. I was quite nauseated so they gave me a shot of Zofran...then phenergan, and phenergan again...then the patch behind my ear. BTW, I was still dry heaving like crazy and getting penergan as soon as they could re-dose me. I got up and walked around the post op holding area and into my cubible. It had a giant recliner chair for me....so I sat down and my family was brought back.

I needed a barium swallow, so my family left to have lunch (it was past lunch time and they were starving...poor guys) and I waited my turn. I did the 5 second swallow...and it went down just fine.

After that I was allowed some cold Water and ice chips....aaahhh!

I had to wait around for the surgeon to finish another patient and then he worked his way through the cubicles in the holding area (I was in the last one). After I spoke to him and he teased my DH a bit about when he was coming in for his band....I was released to go home.

I slept quite a bit that first afternoon and evening as I was on the phenergan plus pain meds. I walked around my house when I could and took sips of Water. I did my sleeping in the recliner as the bed was far too painful (felt like I was suffocating).

Friday was rather painful as the gas was still with me......

Saturday I went to my cake decorating class for 2 hours and the walking was good. I definately felt a bit better after that, but I was tired.

Most of the gas pain is gone today, though I am still having some belches that seem to get stuck in the band :smile: and some intestinal gas. I have terrible allergies and Ike has definately irritated them, so I have some excess phlegm that's getting stuck in my band as well. I'm trying some hot tea to "melt" it this morning...and also some mucinex to thin it a bit.

I've not had anything significant to "eat" yet. Just water/tea and one bottle of Isopure (yesterday). I have another Isopure for today and hopefully I'll feel up to the regular shakes tomorrow. My tummy is definatley growling this morning...

I was banded on the 9th and I am just wondering what other people are doing about food. I am limited to cream Soup, cream of wheat, sugar free Jello, pudding and Water. This goes on for 2-3 weeks. Where is the protien? Can you survive on 100 cal a day? I havent been hungry until today and I dont think 1/4 cup of the above 3 times a day is going to cut it, and ideas?

I printed out a list a few weeks ago of everything that I need to buy before surgery and some how I miss placed it! Does anyone have a copy of this? I found it on one of the posts but I cant seem to locate it now! Thanks!!!

How is everyone doing???

I was banded on the 8th, and my surgeon said I can eat anything as long as it's pureed consistency. Nothing tastes as good as pureed Progresso, honestly.

Different surgeons and dietcians make different recommendations, so I don't know if there's something your surgeon has a specific concern about. If you're starving, call the doctor (or the on-call doctor, I guess, since it's Sunday ...) -- don't suffer needlessly.

Good luck!

I was banded on the 9th and I am just wondering what other people are doing about food. I am limited to cream Soup, cream of wheat, sugar free Jello, pudding and Water. This goes on for 2-3 weeks. Where is the protien? Can you survive on 100 cal a day? I havent been hungry until today and I dont think 1/4 cup of the above 3 times a day is going to cut it, and ideas?

I was bannded on the 2nd and today is the first day my back hasn't hurt. I think I have finally moved all the gas. But, every time I think it has moved, it seems to come back. Lets hope this time it's for real. :smile: I am still having some pain at my port site and I can't sleep on my left side yet. The hardest part of this whole thing has been sleep. This weekend has been the best sleep I have gotten in the last 2 weeks. I guess because I can finally move to my belly in the middle of the night. (for short periods of time) I started to move to the mushy foods this weekend, just because I couldn't stand it anymore. I have had it with the liquid diet. Last thursday was almost my breaking point. I thought I was going to loose it all together. All I wanted was someting to chew and I didn't care what it was. Yesterday I some mashed potatoes, who knew they would make me so happy.

I am on full liquids until day 15. I can't have pudding or cream of wheat but I can have yogurt which has been my saving grace. I eat Tomato Soup, creamed Soups like broccoli and cheese. Cream of chicken and herb is delicious. It kinda tastes like thanksgiving turkey and dressing/stuffing. I also have to get my Protein in by drinking shakes. I can have Jello and sugar free ices and Popsicles. I have a realize band so its installed with no fill. I don't have restriction but if I drink too fast it hits me a few minutes later. I start burping and feeling tight in the chest. I am also learning to listen to by body to know the difference between real hunger and head hunger. During this post op phase I am allowed to sip all day and not eat on a set schedule. But I don't want to get in the habit of constantly putting something up to my mouth.

Hi everyone, just checking in...I'm glad to hear everyone is doing well...for those who don't remember my surgery was Thursday. I'm doing ok so far. Off of pain meds all together, the gas is subsiding but not totally gone. I'm having that pressure in my chest that I have heard some people talk about but it doesn't seem to happen at any certain time. That makes me nervous. I was on Clear Liquids until earlier when I had to get something with some substance. I started clear liquids Tuesday so it makes today day 5...It has been a nightmare. Yesterday my dad hosted a Dove Hunt for friends and family at their house(which is a yearly thing) and I almost lost it. Really I think the dove hunt is just an excuse to eat and get drunk and shoot guns lol. Anyway the only reason I went was because they were getting the Alabama football game on PPV and I wanted to see it so bad. Oh btw Roll Tide...But they had so much barbecue and all the sides and Desserts and all I could do was sit and watch everyone eat and ask me about my surgery. I was so upset. :cursing: I know why I am doing this and it was the only thing that kept me hanging on. I think that is the worst torture that anyone could ever go through. To be STARVING and have to watch people eat all your favorite foods. Needless to say I made it through without caving in and I started my full liquids today so maybe I won't be as hungry. :lol: Good news though, I have already lost 12 pounds in a little over a week so I am on the right track. I just hope this little pain or pressure or whatever it is in my chest subsides pretty soon....

Hi, I had my surgery September 8th (Monday) and coming around okay now. I live in Wisconsin and had the surgery at my workplace so it was nice to have people that I know and work with helping me. I was on a pre-op full liquid diet for 10 days prior, 5 days of clear liquids. Last night I could start with 1 cup of Slim Fast but I drank my Slim-Fast too fast and boy was I sorry. Fortunately, I had Zofran crushed up and took it with minimal Water, felt better. One tip that I never knew and thought worked great! If you get nauseated, take cool washcloth (wrung out of course) and place it on the back of your neck or put on the bottom of your feet. My daughter did this to me last night and she said doing this takes attention off of your stomach and puts it to the cold spots. Definitely helped curb that special feeling!

Watch out too for that portal site. Yikes! One wrong reach and BURNING pain! This is the only place giving me grief after almost 1 week.

Have good week and good luck with your surgeries and recoveries! Penguin

hi, I feel for you with the watching of people eating! Our son is getting married the end of October and I went to my future DIL's bridal shower yesterday. Delicious food, etc.... I didn't want to draw attention to myself so I got right in line and took tiny amounts of food but just got so busy talking that I never had a chance to eat it. Also, dessert was offered and I spoke right up and said, Yes! I would love the apple crisp and Yes! to ice cream on it. Also, too busy to eat it. I also had a reliable person take the plate into the kitchen and dispose of the food. That is why I asked for small servings if I couldn't serve myself, so I didn't just look like I was wasting food. It was hard cuz there was a lot of my FAVORITE foods there but why go through this pain, challenge to cave in the first time!?

Also, I am number 5 of 6 people in my office having this procedure. Experience has told me that the other people in the office are watching them and have made comments like..."Should you be eating that?" I am ready if any of them say that to me....and hopefully will say to them if opportunity presents itself,...."Should you be worrying about it?"

I hope the people you were with yesterday were kind to you with questions about your surgery!