Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting 6 month diet

Well, I have been to my consultation with my surgeon. It was my first meeting with him. I had the meeting about 3 weeks ago, and I have started on my 6 month 1200 calorie diet. The first 2 weeks went really well. This last week I have struggled some. I have only eaten 2 meals on a couple of days and not had my Snacks and have been hungry. I have gotten frustrated and cried. A couple of times I have wanted to just say the heck with it and give up. I know that I can't give up but it is so frustrating. This has been the first time in a month or so that I have been back to the blogs. I have needed the support of this forum, so I have come back. As I write this I realize what a journey this weight loss program is going to be. I am going to make mistakes, I am human. However, in the same breath, I down myself for not being perfect. I am wanting to have lap band, and my surgeon is suggesting gastric by-pass because of the amount of weight I have to lose. He has told me to think about it, that I have 6 months to do that. I have also, just got thru watching a program on TV about a guy who weighed over 1,000 pounds and went on a diet and lost down to just over 800 pounds and took him about 1 year to lose it. There was also, a lady that was over 500 pounds and decieded on gastric bypass. In 6 weeks she lost 75 pounds. I have a lot to think about. I appreciate everyone listening to me blow off some steam!!!!!

Lisa

I don't know what you started out at but I weighed 405 and gastric bypass was never ever an option for me. Actually, there are GBS patients who come back to get the band because although they start out with malabsorption and restriction, eventually their pouch stretches and they just have malabsorption. That' s how so many gain it back. The band can always be tightened as we lose and it loosens. Furthermore, although USA figures aren't as good, studies in Australia show that 3 years out, people with the band lose as much as those with bypass....it just takes us longer because the loss is slower (and healthier) over time. GBS patients are more prone to ulcers and GI issues as well. My surgeon covered both surgeries and does both.

Take time to educate yourself on both procedures. Fortunately neither my surgeon nor my internest tried to steer me to one or the other.

Lisa, that is so wierd I was watching that same show last night. I didn't catch how he went from 1000 down to the 800 but I did see when they were coming to weigh him after being on a diet alone for a year and he only lost like 22 pounds or something. The woman lost like 75 pounds very quickly.

As far as which surgery to go with, it has to be a personal, educated choice on your part. Like restless said, lap-banders lose at a slower rate but at the 3 year mark the two surgeries are fairly equal with pounds lost. From what I've learned the GPS patients tend to start gaining weight back around the two-three year mark if they have not changed their eating habits. When surgery is performed the intestine that absorbs is re-routed and the patient no longer absorbs the calories/fat, etc hence the rapid weight loss. At around the two-three year mark the "working" intestine learns to absorb the way the one that was rerouted used to and if your eating habits have not changed then weight will start adding back on.

I'm scheduled for the lap-bad surgery in November. For me, the GBS was not an option. I look forward to the tool which will help me with my weight loss struggle. Good luck to you with whatever choice you make :smile:

Lisa, I'm in month 4 of my 6 mo diet and it has been "Difficult" to say the least. There are so many factors from cook outs , to work functions to my first born leaving for college. I have relied on these boards alot for support and within the last 2 weeks with everyones advice I'm down 5 lbs!! I struggled day after day with smart choices only to go to my next appt and be up two lbs or to only be down 8oz. I like you and many others have shed many tears and kicked ourselves many times. The one thing that has truly helped me is the advice from many here and that is if you have a moment of weakness, leave it as a moment and correct yourself for the next meal don't just toss the day or week away. I drink tons of Water as advised by fellow banders and I make it a point to exercise everyday. One day at a time and one meal at a time. You can do anything you set your mind to :tt2:

Thanks Heather!!! I am their with you. It is a struggle. I have not realized until the last week how I have used food as a crutch and an emotional healer. I have gone to food for comfort instead of family and friends. I come from a family that you do not show tears in front of people, you shead your tears in private and suck it up and move on.

This has really been a learning experience for me. I appreciate everyone listening to me! THANKS!

It is weird that we both saw the same show!!!! I appreciate the advice. I never knew that by talking to people like I have been doing thru this thread could help sooo much. But it really does help. It is like everyone here is really in touch with the emotions and are having the same struggles that I am. It has shown me that I am not the only one going thru this. Thanks for listening.