Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It hurts to eat/drink

I had my surgery 2 weeks ago today. I was told I could have soft food such as cottage cheese and soft foods od that consistency. Everytime I eat it hurts, it goes down fine, but I feel a pain in my side which I assume is my band and in the center of my chest. I was wondering if anyone esle is experiencing this as well. It was very painful for me to burp at first, but that has gotten better and better, but this pain is very similar. I'm not sure if I am just pushing it and I need more healing time or if I should be calling my doctor. Any advice is very much appreciated

Angie

Does it hurt when you drink something like a Protein drink? Maybe you aren't ready for mushie foods yet.

My doctor had us on liquids for 4 weeks. I know all doctors have different post op diets, but if you try liquids and you still feel pain, then yes, I would call the doctor.

also: how well are you chewing? how small of a bite are you taking?

i find i still need to chew the heck out of cottage cheese for it to go down. and take bites half the size of what i previously thought was a small bite.

(i'm two weeks post surgery as well).

eggs, applesauce, pudding and refried Beans go down without a problem. so do belended Soups.

i've tried tuna salad (with a good dollop of non-fat yogurt) and i had to stop after 3 bites b/c it hurt.

I had been feeling pretty good until Wednseday I had about 1/2 a cup of cottage cheese. I was pretty busy at work and I think I ate too fast. I felt pretty uncomfortable after that and it really hasn't went away. I have always had some discomfort with cold liquids, I was hoping to have a nice warm cup of tea and that would help, but it didn't. I'm just worried about the complications that can occur. I'm gonna drink a bunch of Water and see how it goes. Also I have heard people say that they swell during their cycle which I am coming up on, so maybe I'm just overly worried. Thanks for the reply. I go back to the doc on the 3rd, so I will be able to talk to him then.

Its normal for it to feel painful. Like a tight feeling right? Your body will get used to this and than you should have no problem. Just chill out and don't stress so much about it. As long as you are paying attention to what you are eating and chewing well, you will be fine. Usually women are tighter in the morning as well. My nutritionist suggested having warm things like oatmeal. Once your stomach is irritated you should wait until you feel normal again until you start putting more things in it. If you don't, it could cause you to have more problems.

But just breathe. you won't die, i promise :]

It was the third week before we could go to even a mushie. Try applesauce, puddings, thin cream potatoes, thin your cream Soups, yogurts. Give yourself a little more healing time. Small amounts. Cottage, like yogurt id great for your Protein intake. But cottage cheese is still a little heavy while you are healing. Just back off a little for 4-6 days and I think you will see a big difference. If not, call your doctor for saftey. Overall meal portion should be really small. Hang in there. Another month all this will be much much better. Good luck.

Thank you guys so much, I feel so better, Hope everyone has a nice long weekend.

Angie