Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

?ctober ?dyssey 2008

Hi again, I was looking for a preop site when I came upon this site. You all seem pretty young so this wouldn't apply to you but I had to stop my hormones for 30 days prior to surgery. I also had a really intense event at work this week that family came up for and are still visiting and I am a mess. I am all weepy sitting here typing. For those younguns - hormones help with mood swings and hot flashes. I read all the past posts in this thread and many of you are just days away. I am two weeks out -tomorrow is my preop, Tuesday I see the food therapist (gotta get my head fixed too) Friday is the PCP for medical clearance and Monday is the final weighin and then the next Monday is S Day. I am a bundle of nerves! I am diabetic on januvia and insulin. When I had to loose the original 5% for qualification I was put on South Beach and did tremendous and my blood sugars were great, in fact a little low so I stopped the insulin. I think I made a mistake and stopped it to soon as I haven't been eating perfect for the last two months and sugars are higher than I want. Now I am having numbing in my feet gets worse everyday and it is also in many parts of my body so my mind it working overtime.

I had a dream a week ago that I woke up in the hospital screaming what did I do putting this thing in me for life! I want it, my husband wants it for me. We both want me to be healthier.

At our hospital the surgeon started a walking group and a few of us meet on Saturday mornings and walk in a park which is 3 1/2 miles. I enjoy the comraderie.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks for listening. I love this site. There are people who understand. Now if I could just get that ticker on..............

October 1-

October 2-Vidahlia; NEWLIFE4BEV

October 3-Miss Undastood; SaraJaneQ; LoneStarLoser; Cyndi2464

October 4-

October 6-Odawa; DeeH; sim78; bandedCG

October 7-nighttart6; melboyd; EllindaGreek; NFaith; PandorasMom; Betelnut; mimilou

October 8-austex; LoveIslovely

October 9-Izzyd; Mamacj

October 10-Swalesfcc

October 11-

October 13-myturn0421; lindatatu

October 14-MyTurn; cstauble; bimbabe; BobbieND

October 15-rulooknatme; gritar

October 16-SickNTired; SanMateoDae; Bino

October 17-Lshelley21

October 18-

October 20-nazzy

October 21-SnowWhite760

October 22-annecolorgreen

October 23-

October 24-illinoishusker

October 25-

October 27-

October 28-

October 29-knickerbocker; ~Bridgette~; SCTexasGirl; julie.ann

October 30-NFaith

October 31-

Just wanted to move the list to this page and correct a couple of mistakes I saw that I had made.

Linda--why did you have to stop your hormones? I am 40 but feel like I am getting "close" as I've had a couple of nights of night sweats. I figure my wellbutrin (anti-depressant) helps with any possible mood swings...but maybe it won't? I know it helps keep me calm when I'm upset now. Hope you feel better! I would talk to your doctor.

Happy Sunday!

~~anne

Isn't it funny how different meds work for different people? I was on wellbutrin briefly and it was awful for me! I was on zoloft for years until I built up a tolerance last summer. My PCP switched me to Effexor which I really like. It is a capsule so I'm a little bit worried about breaking it apart to take once I'm banded but I'm sure I'll be fine! :-)

Amen! I called a pharmacist to make sure that I could take them apart. I don't know that I've ever taken apart a capsule before!

Question - do you ever get lightheaded in the afternoon (presuming you take yours in the morning)? Just wondered!

Isn't it funny how we are all so different yet so alike! You have to go off hormones because they put you at risk for blood clots. I did switch from Prozac after almost 20 years, to Cymbalta last year when I couldn't stop crying and it is probably making me a tolerable person these days but the hormones target specific areas.

I took all of my pills to the surgeons visit and showed them to him and he said everyone of them should be okay to take as it including Prilosec and Cymbalta capsules.

The crying is exactly the reason I got off Zoloft last year! I was miserable and there was no reason for me to be that way. When I went on Wellbutrin briefly, I had major rage; it was awful.

I'm glad you got off the hormones for the surgery. I'm sure it's been yuk but my mom was on a huge dosage of hormones to avoid getting hot (she's not overweight) and got a clot that ran from her groin to her knee! Of course, it terrified us but after a week in the hospital, she was back home and has been fine for 6+ years. She's still on hormones; it's just a lower dose now.

I read and I start to wonder if the many that are in our pumpkin patch that are currently on hormone treatments and antidepressants will need those after weight loss. Of course some will, and there is nothing wrong with that, but I know medications can be metabolized differently with a significant weight loss....and then there is the freedom we can gain from loosing half of ourselfs.

I hope and pray that I don't have to be on antidepressants for the rest of my life! That would ROCK to get off of them! I've read somewhere within a post a theory that there is a link b/w obesity and antidepressants. Interesting thought nonetheless.

As a Social Worker, I can tell you that if your depressed(clinically depressed) due to a chemical imbalance then losing weight is not going to make the depression go away. However, if its situational depression(as in, you are depressed due to the fact that your over weight and feel miserable about it) then the depression may vanish(forever, temporarily??, that varies with each person) but of course it takes time. I have had clients who were experiencing depression due to weight concerns, some were on medications and were post-op patients. A few of them were still depressed even after weight loss which to me signifies that they either have a chemical imbalance or another form of situational depression(many of my clients are domestic violence/rape victims).

I have situational depression due to molestation and weight issues and I know for a fact that my depression will not go away just because I am thinner. When I was thinner and dealing with the molestation issues, I gained a whole lot of weight on and off meds. I am off medication, its been almost ten years and I guess my social work background has helped me heal a whole lot..

Edited by LoveIslovely

I'm blanking - what is SB Phase 1? I only have to do liquids 2 days before my surgery. For me, it's been 7 months since I went to the surgeon's seminar. I'm a little skeered but mostly I am excited!!!!!

Oh and Linda - your quote is great!

Bimbabe - remind me to pop you in the head about your continued "Libras rule" comments when we're in the hospital!!!!!!! ;-)

Okay SNT! How about this??

OCTOBER ROCKS

LIBRAS RULE!!! LOL:thumbup:

Ha! A weeeeee bit betta!

Hey!

We are getting closer! I have 15 days and you have 17!!

October 1- shanna234; salome000; wvprisonrn; 9pdmnm5; linro123; Meschultz

October 2-Vidahlia; NEWLIFE4BEV; mrsrdh; mamac; kdraves; emialiabri; markfarnsworth;

October 3-Miss Undastood; SaraJaneQ; LoneStarLoser; Cyndi2464; purplerose; brandie; garysmithey

October 4-

October 6-Odawa; DeeH; sim78; bandedCG; sweetgothic; daydreamer1; artistapril; roxann;

October 7-nighttart6; melboyd; EllindaGreek; NFaith; PandorasMom; Betelnut; mimilou; mark2842; lula23; harleyc; odawa ; short n' sassy; longhorn girl; cellis82

October 8-austex; LoveIslovely; karebare714; birchmoon; tiaj; lisalef; goosefraba; renita; socalcass;

October 9-Izzyd; Mamacj; triciat; karenk;

October 10-Swalesfcc; morkiecoco

October 11-

October 13-myturn0421; lindatatu; vandih; fabnatsdiva; msk1968; travelinsorkel; missundastood;

October 14-MyTurn; cstauble; bimbabe; BobbieND; crimsondawn; leannmorton; mamary5; sexievilyellow; myturn

October 15-rulooknatme; gritar; cheryl1952; alteration

October 16-SickNTired; SanMateoDae; Bino; angelx5; tracie30;

October 17-Lshelley21; josiegurl; shadowland; newgrama0904; swalesfcc

October 18-

October 20-nazzy

October 21-SnowWhite760; Vickie; gottabthin; cyndyg;

October 22-annecolorgreen; jogirl

October 23- blueangelkc80;

October 24-illinoishusker; bradley18; tyme2getrite;

October 25-

October 27- ebonie1015

October 28-