Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is the deal with the scale!

I was banded tuesday, and I know I still have bloating and blah blah, but gosh my scale hasn't moved a bit! I was down a pound one day but back up the next. I'm barely able to sip enough juice and broth to stay hydrated, yet I'm not losing, what is going on!

I weighed more after the operation for a couple of days, I think it was all the I.V. I got. I could tell my face and hands were puffier. It eventually starting going down though.

Its entirely normal, everyone here has gone through it (and wondered why). They were pumping IV fluids into you and your body is healing, give it 2 - 3 weeks. From personal experience and everything I've read on these message boards I wouldn't even bother with the scale until 3 weeks have passed.

If you eat too few calories (which I assume is the case -- I couldn't get over 600 calories in 1 day for over a week after the surgery) then your body goes into starvation mode and you stop losing, believe it or not you need to eat in order to lose weight, when I got up to about 1000 calories a day I started losing.

Edited by mnn2501

i didnt even weigh for the first week and when i went to the dr a week after and i was 16 lbs lighter.. i coldnt tell either.... so no worries u will weigh and poof it will be gone.

Put your scale away for a few weeks. Your body is going to do strange things right now, and I found it was better if I focused on letting my body heal and making the behavior changes that come with the band. When I did that, I stayed in the right mindset.

I'm so discouraged, tuesday will be 3 weeks and I'm wavering between 1 and 2 pounds lost. I'm eating about 1100 calories per day, no focused exercise yet but I'm moving around normally, it's really upsetting me to have gone through all this and not have any results yet. The doctor said not to worry about it but I can't help it, I wanted a really good jump start to get my motivation up.

I totally understand your frustration. I was banded on July 31st. I lost 6 lbs after surgery and probably have gained one or two pounds since that first week out. They tell me that this is time for our body to be healing. I am a self pay gal and the amount of frustration I feel is HUGE BUT I see that this can be very common. I also lost 17 lbs before surgery so I am sure that my body reached a plateau. I am getting my first fill on the 11th and I am hoping that will change something. I am feeling way too normal in the hunger department right now. My Doc told me to keep the calories under 1000 and get in all the Protein first. I will be on the office every two weeks (that is how often I can get a new fill) until I reach a level of restriction that will help me to lose weight. I am with ya in the frustration but just remember that there are so many people that had it EVENTUALLY come off. Good luck to you~! You are not alone.

Thanks for the support Cami, I sure hope it kicks in for both of us soon, it's so discouraging. My first fill is the 11th too, and I'm also self pay, we have a lot in common :smile:

I also lost 21 pounds before surgery, I guess it's the plateau thing too.

no focused exercise yet but I'm moving around normally,

The above is not going to burn extra calories.

Start walking and walk FAST, I was banded on Aug 14th and Im up to 3mils a day, I focus on walking as fast as I can.

Im now down 25lbs this might not be the norm, but Im sure my fast walking is fuling a big part of my lost.

This band is only tool , and like other parts of life you will only get out of it what you put into it.

Using the band and burning extra calories will get you the results you are looking for!!!

Good luck :smile:

Yeah I know I should be exercising but I'm in a bit of a different situation, I have severe plantar faciitis which puts out any weight bearing exercise. We just put in an above ground pool but my foot can't handle the ladder so I'm waiting for my husband to build a small deck with steps so I can get in. I'm hoping my weight loss will get a jump start once I can, I plan to run laps around the pool every morning. The Water is about chest deep so that should give me a good workout without hurting my foot.

My frustration is I'm eating less than pre-band, and moving around the same amount, I was losing before and now I'm not. I know I'm being impatient, but we all have to whine sometimes huh?

Edited by ShrinkyDink