Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I don't want to be that person

I don't want to be the person that everyone hopes they don't have to sit next to on the airplane. I hate planning a plane trip. I am so freaked out about this there is part of me that wants to cancel my surgery. The idea of having to fly some place by myself (I usually go with my husband and daughter) and sit beside someone I don't know is making me very anxious.

Since I am self-pay I don't have a lot of extra cash to pay for 1st class tickets. I am thinking I may get a 1st class ticket for the trip home so I don't have to sit in a crowded cabin.

Anyone else hate flying?

Any other Dr. Kirschenbaum bandsters freaking out about this too?

I don't want to be the person that everyone hopes they don't have to sit next to on the airplane. I hate planning a plane trip. I am so freaked out about this there is part of me that wants to cancel my surgery. The idea of having to fly some place by myself (I usually go with my husband and daughter) and sit beside someone I don't know is making me very anxious.

Since I am self-pay I don't have a lot of extra cash to pay for 1st class tickets. I am thinking I may get a 1st class ticket for the trip home so I don't have to sit in a crowded cabin.

Anyone else hate flying?

Any other Dr. Kirschenbaum bandsters freaking out about this too?

I used to hate it a lot, but on South West they let you go first to make sure you fit in the seat and you get to pick the one you want. So, I'd choose the one up front with alll the leg room!!!!!!!

But I'd rather be thin than have that. So, off with the rest of the cattle I go.

I hope your trip goes well and the flight won't be as bad as you fear.

I never really cared if someone wanted to sit by me or not, what I hated was having to struggle to get my seat belt fastened. I felt like the entire plane was watching the show. It killed my self esteem and I avoided flying because of it!! I flew about 6 weeks after my surgery and magically it fit without any struggle and now 6 months out from surgery I am just another person on the plane. Take comfort in the fact that this is the end of those feelings, and you will love the rush you get when you sit down and fit nicely into the seat. Good luck to you!!

I won't fly Southwest because they make you get on the plane to see if you fit. I think that is so humiliating. :redface:They are also known for making people buy a second seat. I fit okay on my seat but I am sure a person sitting next to me would want a little more room. I come right to the edge of my seat. If the person next to me is kind of big I probably will be touching them.

Oh god the seatbelt struggle. I hate that!! It is so strange on some flights I can buckle the belt with no problem. On other flights I have to suck it in and move some fat around to get it buckled. Then I just sit and don't move.

Just thinking about this makes me so upset to my stomach. I am going to start my pre-op diet next week. I don't have to start it until Sept. 10th but I am hoping by doing this maybe I can drop enough weight I won't be so anxious on a plane.

Oh yea, about the airlines. United offers Economy Plus where the seats are a tiny bit wider and you have 5 inches more leg room. It doesn't seem like much but makes all the difference with being able to pull down the tray and it truly is a bit more comfortable. It isn't much more than a regular seat, I think like $25 more ish.

Flying will be much easier after some weight loss, however my weight really never stopped me from traveling. I found that Spirit was the best. They have, what they call, 'the Big Front Seat" and usually it doesn't cost much more than 50 bucks extra and sometimes it is actually cheaper than the small seats.

I would recommend that maybe just before boarding ask if you can upgrade, it usually only costs about 50 dollars more.

Good Luck!!!