Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

new here and confused,did i waste my $$$

I have read and read and read so much of the stuff in the chat room and most seem to be sorry that they chose the band. I am jusy 11 days post op and am already rethinking my own decision cause I had to self pay and there are so many out there that regret the lapband.

I haven't ever came acrossed a post that says they are sorry they chose the band. Could you give me the links?

Everyone I know on here and RL says I love, love, love my band!

Hi,

I am just in the process of trying to finalize some financing and have only read positive things on the forum and have been amazed at the wealth of knowledge available here. Can you give me links to the negative feedback, as I'd like to read it before finalizing my decision?

Thanks!

I have to agree with Brandy. I have yet to run across anyone who regrets getting the Band, although I'm sure there are some out there who do. I am just 2 days post-op, so I know I"m just a baby in the process, but I am so glad to have this new tool in my journey towards health. And that's what you have to remember...it is a TOOL...the Lap Band isn't going to lose the weight for you. Habits must change, new habits formed, your relationship with food will never be the same.

Read the positive posts, the successes, the uplifting stories and people helping each other. That's not to say there isn't helpful information to be had from reading about others' struggles, but don't dwell on those. You have taken a drastic but wonderful step towards health and being the YOU you want to be. Embrace it. :wink_smile:

Im 20 days post op... and when we leave posts about being hungry or not losing weight... it reallly dont mean we arent happy with the band... we are just impatient! I love my band... i cant wait to get a fill.... and the liquid phase after banding was really hard... but we know we had to do it so the band would heal.... but i would NEVER say i was unhappy with my band... i paid $18,000 for my surgery... and i have lost 17 pnds so far.... im REALLY happy!! This is where we come to vent or get imput... but like the others have said... i dont think anyone is truely unhappy with the band :wink_smile:

I was banded June 30th and there are times when I get frustrated, but not with my band. It is doing what is was supposed to do, but when I feel that way because of my stalled weightloss, I have to ask myself, "Am I doing what I am supposed to be doing?"

Sure after awhile you are able to eat regular foods and they will go down much better when you are healed, but does that mean you should keep eating what you were before being banded? Some people say they eat less than before and that is great, but if eating less is just eating a "happy meal" or small portion of a bad choice, then are they really changing their lifestyles or just getting use to doing the same but in smaller portions? This is something I am learning all the time. And it is hard to make those choices when you are so use to living another way. But in order to make it work, you have to work as well. It hasn't been an easy time for me, especially since I am fairly new myself, but would I do it again? Heck yes and btw, I was self-pay as well.

Best wishes,

Stephanie

Hi there!!

I would have to agree with the others who have replied - I have found very few who have regretted getting banded. Yes, we are impatient and wish we could lose weight quicker, but I don't know anyone who would give up their band!!

Come into the chatroom and talk to everybody in there! It's great support!

I was banded 5/22 and am still learning about what I can and can't do with the band!

You can take away lots of things in my life - but don't take away my band!! :biggrin2:

Terri

i think the vast majority of us here LOVE the band! i know i do, two months out & 34lbs! just be patient...you will love it too! look at some of those b4 & after pics & i bet you wont regret it in a year!!! good luck & good losing! :wink_smile: i've got 70lbs to go...

I agree with everyone else. I was banded June 21st and basically have lost only one pound and had my first fill July 25th. I am still VERY glad I did it. Read the forum for fills and you will see that you have to be patient untill you get your fill right and your eating with it on track. Even people who were banded several years ago and have had ups and downs are glad they did it. I hope you don't become discouraged. You can do it but it does take some patience. Good luck and lots of people are rooting for you to succeed.

Unlike most of those posting, I am not newly banded, I have been banded going on 2 1/2 years--and I am not at all sorry I did it, I would do it again in a heartbeat!!

I would take my Mother or my Daughter to be banded, I whole heartedly believe it can be the answer to weight problems, if YOU are part of the eqation.

Losing large amounts of weight without aid is possible, but very improbable, especially maintaining the loss. And having the band but not working with it, will not get you far either----but you put a good attitude, along with a good restriction-------and you CAN and WILL lose the weight! There are plenty of us around to prove that point!!

As has been pointed out, this is often a place to come and vent or ask questions, or just moan and groan about whatever for the day. There are few serious issues ever come up---as there are with any surgery. Most of the time it is every day people with a simple problem or complaint, and they come here. On the other hand there are tons of us, out there day in and day out without issue, and we do not start threads every day saying "Another problem free day", "I lost another 2 pounds!", or "I Love My Band". While you will happen across those threads, they are not started everyday, and many who reach goal, or are close to it, have begun doing so many new things they are not around to post much, the need for support having lessened.

You will get out of the band what you put into it....if you are willing to do your part, and watch the foods you eat, and the amounts----which sounds like what we always tried to do dieting---but is totally different and doable with the band, then the band will work!!

It is not at all uncommon though to have a few days of "What in the hell did I do????" reaction. It goes away, the post op diet is eventually over, and life takes on a whole new meaning when you can lose a pound with less effort----and it stay off!!! Then another, then another!!!

Hang in there----I KNOW mine was not a mistake!!!

Kat

your feelings are VERY normal!! if i had a dime for every time that i read the words..."have i made a mistake" or "what have I done?"

I have read of some who regret getting their band, but the majority of members on this forum love their band.

you are still too early on to make a determination as to whether this is working for you. give it some time to work. i lost only 17 lbs the first year, but now, at 2 1/2 years, i have lost 63 lbs, and only have 20 more to go. that first year, i really questioned my decision, but now, i know that this is a long term solution to a long term problem!

best of luck to you