Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Excellent PBS Series on Obesity and Surgical Weight Reduction

Hello all. I have found an amazing program that PBS put out called "Fat: What No One Is Telling You". For those of you who have weight issues and are trying to find the words and information to share with your friends and relatives on how and why you feel the way you do, how and why weight doesn't come off and how and why you have come to the decision to have this or some other procedure done, this is the program for you to watch, and share with them.

I have spent the past two months defending my decision with my friends and family. It's exhausting trying to convince others that this decision that YOU are making for YOURSELF is okay. I encourage all of you to watch this program and share it with your friends and family letting them know that as part of your journey, it is very important for you to have them watch the entire program. It's free on PBS.

Here is the link in case you have trouble finding it.

Best of luck to everyone!

FAT: What No One Is Telling You - Watching: Chapter 1 | PBS

You shouldnt have to persuade people to making you think this is the right thing for you, if you personally think it is then it is overall the best decision, I'm only 20 but I'm looking at major complications further on in my life that will be there with or without the weight, of course it's going to be harder with the weight so my doctors have told me I need this, I haven't told alot of people and even then I'll only be telling my 2 sisters, mother and father and maybe a future hubby who knows, but the thing is all these people know I have health issues not relating to my weight for years, since I was 10 and diagnosed with something similar to cancer, if they want whats best for me then they will be supportive, it may take some time for them to get used to the idea but thats something I'm willing to wait for, also thanks for the link, I'll definitely get them to watch it once I tell them about it.

Thanks for the reply! I agree. People shouldn't have to defend this decision. The only solace I get out of my friends and family being so concerned is that they inherently care about my safety and well-being and also that they just don't know enough about the problems overweight people face and that they don't have any exposure or information about the Lap Band procedure. They hear surgery and start to freak out. That's where this wonderful video has come in so very handy. It clearly outlines the issues, both medical and psychological and shows how this is a good thing for people. Best of luck on your journey and continued healing!

Any information you can give the people in your life about your decision is a good thing. My family and friends see me as the cook, party planner. Even after I started talking about my interest or intentions with lap band they still make dumb comments about how I won't be able to cook any more, how if I didn't do all that stuff I wouldn't be overweight... hello? been struggling with this for 20 years people... I am going to watch the video, and probably email it to my family members... hehehe...

I watched the video.. amazing stories. I was really interested in the stories around the nurse.. talking about Dr.s and nurses taking a history. Stop making suggestions about losing weight and find out why you are overweight.. The stories also touched on the fact that most of us have really tried to lose weight and have succeeded at it, we just can't continue with it and lose the battle. I am currently trying so hard to really control what I am eating, but having it be the main thing in my head everyday can and has made me crazy. I've gone almost a year before obsessing about it only to realize it consumed my waking and sleeping moments to a point where everything else didn't matter. I need the help of a lap band to take up some of the slack and help me control what I am eating..

Thanks for putting this up!

It was great, thanks for the link. I watched it when it came on PBS several months ago as well but had forgotten about it until I saw it again. My favorite line in the series is when the doctor is telling the overweight boy to basically tell the people questioning his decision "fu** off". I've told everyone and anyone who'd care to listen and I'm glad I did. When I was thinking about it, I got resistence from my sister and some friends, but once I told them my mind was made up, they did a 180 and are fully supportive. If they hadn't been, then I would have been saddened but ultimately it's my life and I'm saving me. If the naysayers just understood that basically what they are saying is that if you're drowning and someone throws you a raft, you shouldn't take it because the best way to avoid drowning is by swimming, they'd understand how ridiculous their positions are.

Thanks for the link! I watched it tonight and had seen it before also. Now that i've decided on having surgery, it took on a new meaning. I'm not telling many people about this decision, but will share it with those i am telling.