Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone, well i went for my consultation at Derby hospital in the UK last week,

Bloods are all normal, cholesterol from 7.5 to 6.9 which im pleased about,

They have told me i have to start eating 3 meals a day properly for 2 months, as im not a good regular eater, for years i have not eaten breakfast/lunch..i tend to eat at night..just the way i am..

So they said for the lapband to work i must eat normal..to which i am now..

I even lost 7lbs from last month without me realising,,big bonus..

So im just waiting for them to except me, to which they all said..surgeon/dietrition/nurse they could see no reason as to why not & over here the NHS waiting time is now about 3 months, so im hoping so much i will get to have the operation done this year

Hi Debbie,

It sounds like you are on your way to being banded. It's hard to change eating habits (like no Breakfast or lunch), but it will be healthier for your body to be getting "gas in its tank" all through the day.

Do many people in the UK get lap-band or gastric bypass surgery? I have a couple of relatives who had the bypass surgery, and it was really successful for them. One, however, had some complications that kept her in the hospital, but that was 17 years ago and she is and looks perfectly fine now. The other had hers in 2000 and is doing great, too. I didn't want to go with a surgery quite as "strenuous" as that, and I was banded on July 3rd. I'm doing great and loosing weight. What more could I ask for?

I hope it is a happy summer for you and that you can get banded soon.

Hi Kathy, thank you for your reply..I got told by my surgeon the lapband started in 1997 over here, I think quite a few people are getting it done over here but they dont like to admit to it, an english thing i guess, but i dont believe its something to be ashamed about as like i explained about myself i only eat at night, & who rarely exercises late at night?

So that was a big downfall for my weight, & since eating throughout the day..im hungry.lol for the first time i can actually say im hungry in the day as where i never felt hungry before, i must be lucky where i could go hours & hours before i want something to eat

were having a heatwave here at the moment, which im sure will help with extra weight loss hopefully

im so glad your banded & losing weight..the surgeon told me he wants me to lose about 80-100lbs do you have much to lose?

Thanks for the reply, Debbie....

You are right; eating at night can be a problem because that's when we're not too active in the evening and through the night. It's impossible to burn off those calories. What kind of exercise do you plan to do? We all start off with walking, but after you have recuperated from the surgery, what's your plan? I am doing aqua exercise about 4 days a week, working up to at least 5. I'm lucky that I'm in that time of my life when I no longer am working, so I'm able to participate in a couple of aqua exercise classes at the YMCA and at a local college. My dietician told me that a little weight training (either with the weights alone or the weight machines) really helps, especially when you hit a plateau. When the weather gets colder, I will probably drop a couple days aqua exercise and go to the YMCA and use their facilities. Do you have YMCA's in England?

Opps! I must have hit something because my reply to you just flew off to England. I'm going to try to send a private message to you in a little while in which I'll tell you a bit about myself and where we live.

KathyJB