Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 fills and absolutely zero restriction

I don't know what is "normal" weight loss. I think your weight is dropping and that is great! Keep it up whatever you are doing. Everyone has a path that appears to be different because our bodies and ways of eating and exercising is different.

Jaylo, keep faith, When I had my 2nd fill, I also was able to eat just about any quantity I wanted, so of course, I gained 4 pounds. I also had my band done May 16, 2008. I went last Thursday 8/7/08 and got my 3rd fill, this time they gave me 2 cc because I was so upset about the weight gain, this brought me to a total of 6cc. Boy am I ever restricted. I have to eat so slow, it seems like I'm eating backwards, doesn't matter what I eat, everything hurts if you don't eat slow. I had a half cup of refried Beans mixed with a lot of taco sauce to make it liquidy and melted some cheddar cheese on it with a side 2oz. of sour cream, it took me 1 hour to eat it. I have to wait at least 5 minutes after every 2 spoonfuls. However, I have now lost the 4 poounds I had gained and think that I may well be at the sweet spot.

Doly718

Edited by Doly718

Fill question - I get my first one on Monday. After that do I decide when to get the next one or is it something the doctor tells me like come back in 4 weeks, 6 weeks, whatever or do they let you tell them when you feel like you need one -Thanks.

pjd3253,

Generally, the Dr. will tell you when you come again, usually its once a month. I have a Van Guard 12 cc band and I am now at 6 cc's. Feeling very restricted.

Edited by Doly718

Whats the sweet spot?

I Had my first fill on Wednesday. The doctor said if I didn't feel restriction by Friday to give him a call. I did feel nothing, so he scheduled me for Tuesday so my fills one and two are going to be less than a week apart. Yay!

I am not the most patient person, but I am a very hard worker. I have been to the gym 6 days a week since my 7the day out from surgery. I have been working with a personal trainer who really sems to enjoy kicking my butt! I also have been doing at least an hour of some kind of cardio after the weight sessions. It is not necessarily hard cardio, just the eliptical, but I am sweating so that is good!

I lost 10 pounds the first three days after surgery, mostly Water and stuff, but in the weeks since then, I have only lost two! I am eating well, and if I wasn't working my ass off in the gym, I know I would have gained it back.

I am hungry all the time, so I too was frustrated. I was always hungry before I got the band which is why every diet eventually failed. I expressed this frustration to my doctor, and I really liked what my doctor told me.

He said that I didn't pay $15,ooo to be hungry for a month between each fill, so he personally called the fill center and instructed them to let me come in again right away. He said he has final say on how often people go into the fill center. He said they regulate it because some people would go in for a unfill for dates and parties, holidays and stuff. They are booked out in advance, so I not only have one scheduled for this Tuesday, but also an appointment for the next two tuesdays in a row as well! If I don't feel like I need them, He caid I could just call and cancel.

My Doctor rocks my world :)

The sweet spot is where you are able to eat, but feel your restriction and are comfortable with it. You are able to recognize when you've had enough to eat, and because you feel full, you won't over eat.

I have it finally. I can eat one good meal and its usually lunch.< /p>

Thanks for your reply. It is just so weird that I have had no restriction for the first 6 weeks almost at all and was complaining about it and now that I feel what it is like -where it really hurts if you get something stuck and it feels like it is going to come back up especially if you are an important business dinner- I am thinking be careful what you wish for because too much restriction is not pleasant. I guess tomorrow my doctor will know what to do when he sees my weight loss, etc. which frankly has not been as much as I thought for the first 6 weeks. Thanks.

I know its hard, but stick with it, eventually the weight will come off. You are still experimenting, so is your Doctor, looking for the right place for you. Keep us posted on your progress.

Try getting a fill with fluoroscopy. They can better gauge the fill level because they can actually see the extent of the restriction. I made a mistake by getting a slight unfill/refill without fluoro and now I am not restricted enough. I have made an appointment for fluoro this time.

Thank you!

On the flip side of the coin I had restriction before I had my first fill, I did not get my first fill till about 7 weeks. I got 1.5ml but have had to have 0.5 taken out I am really happy at 1ml :) Just for everyone that was worried they might have to wait months for restriction. Everyone is diffrent which makes life all the more interesting :)

I'm glad to see that it isn't just me - not that I want any of us to be in this boat but if we have to be at least we have each other!

I was lucky enough for my surgeon to give me what appears to be a bigger fill than most the first time but I've got bubkiss in the restriction department. I've decided to step up my exercise routine and trying to get in more Protein (though I have no guidelines as to what it should be other than what I read here 60-90g) because that is supposed to help. Though I just started this I haven't seen a difference in my weight.

I have an appointment Friday for my second fill and honestly I'm scared to go. I'm not scared of the needle or anything like that, I'm afraid because I haven't lost a single pound since surgery. The weight I did lose was all pre surgery and its been a major struggle to keep it semi steady. :Banane37:

I am like you had 1.5 had .25 taken out but I have not been able to eat anything at all or drink anything for 2 days. I literally sip on something and have to throw it up - I had no restriction at all before my fill so it seems weird that some people don't have any restriction after several fills - I can't imagine feeling more restriction than this and I have only had 1.25. I probably should have just left it alone and not gotten a fill but I felt I was able to eat too much - I called the doctor's office and talked to his PA and she told me to eat soft liquids for 48 hours and it should get better - need advice will this get better? I am worried not only am I not getting any nutrients but not any fluids either. Thanks!