Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 fills and absolutely zero restriction

I had my band on 5/6/08. I have since had two fills and have absolutely no restriction what so ever. I can eat large quantities of Protein, bread etc nothing get stucks and nothing feels different. I have gained back five lbs. I had lost 30 lbs before the surgery so am still looking better but I am beginning to wonder if this will work and all. I am very frustrated. Has anyone else had this and then finally hit a sweet spot. I think if I had hope I could get back on track.

I had no restriction after my first fill, and when I recently went back for the second, and was told that my Fluid had leaked out. I don't why it leaked, but no I am wondering if I have too much restriction because It's labored for me to drink Water, I have another appt for a fill in 30 days, but I am trying to hold out until then

Almost the same for me. I had surgery June 17th, just had my 1st fill yesterday & have gained 4 lbs back. No restriction. However I did notice it takes less to "fill me up, eating". Esp yesterday after fill. I am on liquids for 2 days, which will be good for me.

It was hard once I realized I had no restriction to impose the eating limits that I should. Esp with so many summer bbq's. But I know I can do it, it is all worth it. So back to liquids for me & ease back into mushies.

Hi I was banded 2/27/08 and just had my 3rd fill. I had very little restriction after my first 2 fills. I should have gone back for my 3rd fill much sooner because I lost NO WEIGHT after my last fill, but I fill much more restriction this time and I even have some trouble with swallowing but that has almost gone away since I was filled on Friday. Hang in there... from what I have read it can take several times with fills and even some unfills to find the sweet spot. It's hard to stay "good" when you feel no restriction and I'm lucky I didn't add on pounds the last 2 months. But we have to be strong and try to resist eating the wrong foods. Good luck! :eek:

had my second fill yesterday & told my dr that i was seriously disappointed that i had only lost two lbs since my last fill a month ago. i agree that i need to make wiser food choices BUT i keep saying also after being scolded by several other bandsters that although i agree 100% that "the band is a tool" i think if it wasn't EXTREMELY necessary NONE OF US would have gotten it!!! perhaps we should just wait for the sweet spot with another plan in effect. this month i plan to follow WW along with my fill & perhaps even if i dont feel restriction i will still lose & learn to properly eat less... GOOD LUCK to everyone else with the same issue!

My surgeon told me that on average, it takes 4-6 fills to reach your sweet spot. I know bandsters that have actually had more than that. It's frustrating, but remember we're in this for the long haul. It's also what's known as Bandster Hell - the time between surgery and getting restriction. Be patient. In time your band will do its part. In the meantime, keep following the rules.

Good luck!

I will having my surgery this Thursday and after reading some of the post I'm a little afraid. It seems that a lot of you are still having problems losing weight. I do understand that this is a tool but if I could lose by simply watching portion sizes and choosing the right foods I wouldn't have considered this in the first place. Now I'm afraid that I'm taking this BIG step and it may not help at all.

Yes, it is true that you will have to work harder with a band that some other WLS, however, the benefits from the band will be so much greater in the long run!

Not everyone takes a long time to get to restriction. I'm on my second fill and have lost 4.5 lbs in the past week. Will I always have restriction from this fill? Probably not since as you lose weight you also lose the fat pad from around your stomach. The nice thing about the band is that you can have it adjusted as needed - like a belt getting loose as you lose weight, then you get it tightened.

I'm also very excited about the prospects of maintaining my weight loss with the band. Remember that the band general sees a 1-2 lbs loss per week, which is a healthy, normal loss. If you go into this believing that it is a lifelong tool, you'll do much better than if you expect a huge loss overnight like with other WLS. The band works with restrict while other WLS also have malabsorbtion as a key to their quick losses, which can lead to other problems later on. Not always, but it is a risk those folks face.

During the first 6 wks after your band surgery, concentrate on healing. There will be plenty of time to lose the weight after that. Good luck with your surgery!

:lol:

I'm having the same problem. 2 fills and nothing. I am very disappointed as well. I lost 27.5 lbs before the surgery and one pound after. The statement I keep getting is, "I take some people up 5 fills or more before they feel anything. I'm so not wanting to hear that. I was banded on June 2,08 and I get more and more discouraged when I go to the doctor that did my surgery. Let me know how you do? I have next fill on Aug. 18. Kimberly

I had surgery 02-5-08. I've had 7 fills and am just now getting restriction! It really sucked. I've only lost 31 pounds. Mostly on my own. I was starving all the time. Just hang in there you'll get there. They should really tell you it might take 6 months to get to the begining. But then my friend that I met at the hospital is down 90 pounds since the same date. Go figure. She did out weigh me by about 100 pounds but still she has had huge success. Everyone is different with these bands. Remember at least when you get to your sweet spot you won't gain back the weight. Good luck! Chrissie

I just had my 2nd fill last week. A week before then, I was feeling hungry alot. Talked to my doc about this and he said I should have came in earlier. To call and reschedule to get in to get another fill. Well, first fill was 3cc's, this time he only added one more so I am up to 4cc's. And guess what? I am hungry. He did schedule me to come back in next week for another fill. I hope I can wait that long. Thanks for listing.

Jaylow, this is completely normal. I have had a lot of fills over 2 years and it took forever to get to my sweet spot, often times losing it. When you lose weight you will need a fill so it is quite possible to get a fill every coupld months or so.

:rolleyes2:I've been disappointed with lack of food restriction like you and others but yet I have gone from a size 22 to size 18 and felt great. I am off high blood pressure medication because of the 26 pounds I have lost. My arthritic knees are much better.

I have had one fill and have another one scheduled in August. I had the most restriction right after surgery for about one month (until my first fill). I still do not have food cravings and I realize I am full when I watch the exact amounts of food which go into my mouth. I cannot let my head rule on the what and the amount what I put into my mouth. It also helps to not drink fluids as suggested and eat slowly, etc.

My surgeon says he believes that lapband users have no restriction until our second fill. I have a 10 ounce band with 2 cc's add in the first fill. He also said we have to gradually add to our band because it takes time for the body and ourselves to adjust to the restriction.

My surgeon also said that he believes that obesity is an emotional problem more than anything else. So when I want to overeat I realize that I eat to comfort me (and other reasons) rather than be truly hungry. We have to figure out the triggers on what makes us eat. The band is only one tool in this fight against obesity. I have realized how much I turn to food when I get frustrated, tired, lonely, etc. I have turned to other sources of distraction and comfort instead of returning to food. Going to food doesn't help anything.

It took us time to get this high in weight so its going to take some more time to take it off and keep it off. I am hopeful that the lapband will help us (it already has for me).

Hang in there my fellow bandsters! WE CAN DO THIS. The restriction will come when we hit our sweet spot. In the meantime, measure our food and watch what we are putting in our mouth, exercise, surround ourselves with people who support us and that will help even more.

Feel Lucky! My doctor won't do me a fill but once a month if that. My first fill was July 18 for 1.5cc and my next fill is Aug. 22. He will only schedule his paitents for fills on mondays in the following month. I, of course, have no restriction at all and with the rate my doc is going I won't loose another pound til this winter. Advice: Count your many blessings. Take care, Kimberly