Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op Diet

Ok, if you get offended by that time of the month talk, I apologize, and please read no further. HOWEVER, if you are intrigued, please continue.

I am on day 9 of my preop diet of Protein shakes. I am supposed to stay under 1200 calories per day and have actually been hovering around 600-700 per day. Saturday night I ate a package of turkey bacon. Sunday morning, I gained 1 lb and today, I woke up and gained another half lb. I simply cannot tell you how discouraging this is. I'm supposed to get my period next Monday (I think this diet has thrown me off schedule) but I'm already bloated and cramping. Maybe I'm starting sooner, but I'm still pissed off that my scale is not going in the right direction. I have not had anything except that damn bacon, and I still came in under 1200 calories that day.

I think I just need encouragement and a similar story...yeah, that would help. My scale is going to go down a lot after my period comes, right? I'm 47 years old. I should know this by now, but I need a hug. :biggrin: Or just some cheese with the wine. :scared2:

I'm sooo with you! I have a weight gain of 4-5 lbs when "aunt flo" comes to visit. It's so frustrating because they just look at you like-ya right...

I am not getting banded until August 7 and was told I need to have one week of preop but I do see my doctor on Friday of this week. I went to see a dietician and she suggested that I create my own Protein drinks that are better tasting. The recipes need to be blended and she suggested the magic bullet. The Protein Powder with an 8oz. serving has to have 200 calories or less, 15 grams of Protein or more, 15 grams total of carbohydrates, less than 5 grams of fat. Here are a few recipes:

Sunrise shake

145calories 8 protein

1 cup of skim milk

4 ice cubes

1 teaspoon of nutmeg

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 scoop of Protein Powder

chocolate Chiller

195 calories 21 protein

1 cup skim milk

1 packet of sugar fee hot chocolate

1 scoop protein powder

banana Dream

205 cal 18 protein

1 cup skim milk

4 ice cubes

1/2 banana

1 scoop protein powder

Fruit punch Surprise

110 cal 21 protein

6oz crystal light or sugar free kool-Aid

4 ice cubes

2 scoops protein

Hi

I get banded in 2 weeks (7th aug) and Ive been on Optifast for 2 weeks. It is the worst thing i have ever done... Yuck!! but after the 4th day and many headaches im no longer hungry and the days get easier.

Good luck

You have a different pre op diet then me Im on Optifast (3 shakes a day and 2 cups of veggies) it sux!!! but ive lost 9lbs in about 14 days I guess cos im not really eating anything else. and doing the gym. I decided the other day to have a grilled fish and the very next day put on 2lbs!!! I was like WHAT!!!! what more can i do, I am pretty much starving myself... Im just trying not to think about it. Good luck!!! We are all here for you Big hugs.... ( and some virtual cheese and crackers for you) LOL....

I was told to go on Clear Liquids 5 days before the surgery. Although up until that point I can totally identify with all the ones who gave their favorite foods a fantastic fairwell! I did that last week and now am easing into things pretty well. I am so happy there is support!

Hey I'm also getting banded August 7th. My pre-op diet was just lose 12 lbs. by the day of surgery I lost 8 gained a few back, so with one week to see the surgeon I am doing the Protein shakes and salad for dinner. I started yesterday and hope to get those 6 lbs. off by August 7th and maybe a few more. The less you weigh the best for the surgery..it's that darn "fatty liver" thing. LOL

I have to get some more shakes. I tried the Advantage one and it wasn't too bad. Very filling I must say. Had one for dinner last night. I had my regular food for lunch. And had the shake for Breakfast and I'm still not hungry.

Wow two weeks and I'm getting excited and nervous.

Hubby had his heart surgery last week and all went wonderfully. He's home now and feeling better and stronger every day. He has his aortic valve replaced.

Best of luck to everyone...glad I was invited here.

Pati

man what's going to kill me for the next two weeks will be any department lunches we have at work. the boss has told everyone to think of me when they chose where to eat...i'm hoping that i can just flip my dinner calories for lunch ones those days. but then there's getting through the night time hours. that's when i want to snack the most. i'm hoping the Protein Water will help. anyone have any suggestions? :eek:

man what's going to kill me for the next two weeks will be any department lunches we have at work. the boss has told everyone to think of me when they chose where to eat...i'm hoping that i can just flip my dinner calories for lunch ones those days. but then there's getting through the night time hours. that's when i want to snack the most. i'm hoping the Protein Water will help. anyone have any suggestions? :seeya:

Hey I can understand this so well from when I was working for a company that had a lot of catered lunches brought in for the staff, not to mention big huge cakes when production was good LOL.

Hey have the shakes for breakfast and dinner. Eat a light lunch. Order a clear Soup and small lunch salad. I bring my own dressing now every where, the stuff in the squirt bottles are very good and keep well and are small enough to carry in a medium sized purse.

good luck and just think in a year we will all look great

:biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2:

Hi there, I'm on two weeks of Optifast (doctors orders) and have been logging my progress on my blog www.melaniematters.blogspot.com instead of complaining to my husband and kids. I'm averaging about 800 cals a day. Some days are better than others and there's only 7 days left! I've been waking up at 1am every night in bed with a growly stomach - a new sensation - that makes it hard to get back to sleep - I craved toasted cheese sandwiches, juicy steak and a glass of vino.... just gotta keep focused on the wider pic. Good luck all.

Hi there, I'm on two weeks of Optifast (doctors orders) and have been logging my progress on my blog www.melaniematters.blogspot.com instead of complaining to my husband and kids. I'm averaging about 800 cals a day. Some days are better than others and there's only 7 days left! I've been waking up at 1am every night in bed with a growly stomach - a new sensation - that makes it hard to get back to sleep - I craved toasted cheese sandwiches, juicy steak and a glass of vino.... just gotta keep focused on the wider pic. Good luck all.

Melanie, how are you doing going into your second week of liquids? I'm on my 10th day, and after 10 lbs lost as of Saturday, my scale hasn't budged. Do you think I need to exercise? Blech!

I think your doctor would be happy with 10 pounds. Yes we should all exercise but I wouldn't go overboard at this stage. I've dropped about 6 lb in 6 days so I hope it's all coming from my liver! All we can do is our best. I find the shakes hard to take so i've been living mianly off the coffee, berry and chocolate flavoured Optifast bars - the choc one reminds me of Space food Sticks which was a favourite when I was at school - kinda fudgy. All the best.

My surgery is Aug. 6th at 6:45 am!! I am very excited but quite nervous as well. Like many of you, I started my pre-op diet a few days early and am now on day 4 - I'm amazed that I've lost 7.5 lbs already.

My diet consists of 1000 calories per day - Protein shake for breakfast and lunch, and for dinner I have 4 oz. of lean meat, chicken, or fish and as well as 2 cups of low calorie vegetables. So far, its been challenging but not to the point that I get headaches or painful hunger pangs - this is unusual for me. I think that the Protein helps to curb the hunger pains and I hope I can keep this up until my surgery date...15 days to go.

Good luck to all of the August AllStars!!

I am on an all liquid pre-op diet. Ick!

I wish I had taken a 'farewell tour' of my favorite foods - but I convinced myself that it was the beginning of my new life and the new me. Now I really regret it.

So food is on my mind all the time right now and I realize how much I rely on food for emotional support, for my social life and just plain to relieve boredom ! I almost can't watch TV ! lol !!

Anyway - I wonder if a year from now I won't be able to relate to the me that wishes I had a blow out! ? :thumbup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by vegasgirl44 viewpost.gif

Ok, if you get offended by that time of the month talk, I apologize, and please read no further. HOWEVER, if you are intrigued, please continue.

I am on day 9 of my preop diet of Protein shakes. I am supposed to stay under 1200 calories per day and have actually been hovering around 600-700 per day. Saturday night I ate a package of turkey bacon. Sunday morning, I gained 1 lb and today, I woke up and gained another half lb. I simply cannot tell you how discouraging this is. I'm supposed to get my period next Monday (I think this diet has thrown me off schedule) but I'm already bloated and cramping. Maybe I'm starting sooner, but I'm still pissed off that my scale is not going in the right direction. I have not had anything except that damn bacon, and I still came in under 1200 calories that day.

I think I just need encouragement and a similar story...yeah, that would help. My scale is going to go down a lot after my period comes, right? I'm 47 years old. I should know this by now, but I need a hug. :thumbdown: Or just some cheese with the wine. :cursing:

Hey Vegas...I'm probably a bit late on my reply, but I just read your post and wanted to offer my opinion, and past experience on this. I do think that your period will affect your weight loss, and once it is over you should notice a drop (as long as you haven't cheated). However, I also think that the Turkey Bacon may be the culprit to your bloated weight gain. Even if that package of turkey bacon was in your calorie allowance, it still mostlikely had way over the recommended sodium intake for the day; which, probably retained Fluid in your body, making you bloated and more weight. I say this only from personal (bloaty) experience. Cutting some of the sodium should help with the bloating, as well as adding lots of Water to flush out the sodium. Although, my Dr. told me NOT to take any diuretics to take away the Water. So just do it the natural way, and celery and cucumbers help too! I hope this helps somewhat. Good luck!:thumbup: