Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do any of you get "crap" from RNY

Next time someone gives you crap about not choosing RnY, you send them to me, and I'll tell them about my sister.

I'll tell them she died in January 2008, 14 years post-op. I'll tell them she starved to death, died a horrible, excruciatingly drawn-out death, because she could not absorb nutrients anymore. I'll tell them that in the 2 years it took her to die of malnutrition I got to see the old woman she would have been, should have been, when she was 88, not 38. She looked like a walking corpse and people stopped and stared at her. It horrified her so much she stayed home. She developed Beri-Beri. Pancreatitis. She was on TPN and on J-tube. She lost her teeth, stopped growing her hair, ended up on hospice. I've nurse 3 relatives through cancer and I've never seen pain like she experienced when she had cellulitis from her feet t the tops of her thighs. And then her body started scavenging thiamine from her neural sheathe and her nerve pain was beyond belief. But saddest of all, she was so thiamine-deprived she developed a form of psychosis, and the last year of her life she was not herself.

Yes, RnY gave her a quality of life she never would have had, and arguably, it might have extended her life. But SHE is the one who told me about the Lap Band, and she who told me she wished it had been available to her, instead of the RnY.

There. End of Rant.

I am so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing her story with us!

Next time someone gives you crap about not choosing RnY, you send them to me, and I'll tell them about my sister.

I'll tell them she died in January 2008, 14 years post-op. I'll tell them she starved to death, died a horrible, excruciatingly drawn-out death, because she could not absorb nutrients anymore. I'll tell them that in the 2 years it took her to die of malnutrition I got to see the old woman she would have been, should have been, when she was 88, not 38. She looked like a walking corpse and people stopped and stared at her. It horrified her so much she stayed home. She developed Beri-Beri. Pancreatitis. She was on TPN and on J-tube. She lost her teeth, stopped growing her hair, ended up on hospice. I've nurse 3 relatives through cancer and I've never seen pain like she experienced when she had cellulitis from her feet t the tops of her thighs. And then her body started scavenging thiamine from her neural sheathe and her nerve pain was beyond belief. But saddest of all, she was so thiamine-deprived she developed a form of psychosis, and the last year of her life she was not herself.

Yes, RnY gave her a quality of life she never would have had, and arguably, it might have extended her life. But SHE is the one who told me about the Lap Band, and she who told me she wished it had been available to her, instead of the RnY.

There. End of Rant.

Thank you for sharing such a painful experience in your life. I am sure that your sister's experience will be very helpful with others who might be trying to make their decision.

My son's friend had some, but definately all, of the problems your sister experienced. In fact when I told him I was going to get a lap band he was very upset. Once I explained that this will be able to be customized for me and, god forbid something happens, it can be reversed.

My greatest fear was malabsorbtion but I never in my life imagined that it could be that severe. I made my choice after careful examination of the facts. I dont care if I loose faster or loose less, I want to loose "healthy"

Thank you again, and my heart goes out to you. God Bless and take care. Debbie

Don't worry, everyone has there own preference, I joined a site called obesity help and its majority of people on there are the bypass patients, I asked one question and I got completely blasted, I said I knew all the facts and then listed them and one woman went on to b*tch about I was listening to selling points if you will of lap band, this site is great though everyone on here is extremely supportive and it's the only one I found that is mainly for lap banders

People on OH aren't very nice. I know from experience too.

Kegra I am so sorry about your sister

There. End of Rant.

what a powerful story , thank you for sharing.

i don't know many persons "real time" that have had WLS (hubby & brother banded), a cousin w/RNY and my neighbor - RNY.

my neighbor struggles EVERY day, not an exaggeration. she is 3yrs post op, went from 363 to 206 - and is a walking prescription pad. her skin is like paper, her hair is SO thin, she dumps daily - no matter what she eats. she's 45 & looks 65, EASILY. she wants to start walking in the evenings (pretty hot here in TX at the moment) in a month or two & is trying to play around w/vitamins to give her energy to walk even just a block. what's worse - she's only an inch or two taller than me (i'm 5'1), - she still has 50lbs + to lose & is now starting to Gain.

she meets w/her surgeon next wk for possible revision - she wishes daily she never gotten the RNY, glad to have gotten 150lbs off...but it's come at a huge price.

Thanks to all of you for your sympathy. My sister was one of the most amazing, courageous women I have ever known. She had a huge appetite for life and she lived it fully. She was, and still is, inspiration to me, and I sure miss her. Some people have asked me why I am going forward with a weight loss surgery when my sister pretty much died from long-term complications from weight loss surgery. I've explained the differences between the two surgery types and how the Lap Band addresses the concerns I had about mal-absorbtion and changing nutritional needs as one ages, and most of them 'get' it. I am excited about the Lap-Band and the opportunity it will provide for me to live a longer, healthier, fitter life. I can think of no better way to honor both her memory and her own WLS choice than to proceed with my surgery. In some ways, I've got two lives to live :)

I've had several gastric bypass patients say things to me...as if their way is the only way. You have to make the choice that is right for you! I know that I would have been unhappy with gastric bypass, as I would have constantly been worrying about being sick.

I'm glad you found the forum...it's nice to have supportive people around.

I'm a RNY patient and would NEVER say negative things to someone for getting the band over the RNY, so I hope you are not stereotyping us. If a bander (or pre-opper) asks me why I chose RNY as opposed to band, then I will tell them my reasons. But everyone's body is different and even though you have plastic in you and my insides are rewired doesn't make either of us better! We both have a tool that we need to make the best of. No need for segregating us! We are all WLS patients. :whatchutalkingabout

YIKES! I want to add one more thing after reading a lot of the posts on this thread...I am on another forum that has mostly RNY patients and we don't talk about bandsters like you guys are talking about RNYers. I'm SHOCKED at what I read here. Sorry to say this, but people who talk about others are usually not happy with their choice.. That's why we don't "talk about" bandsters. We are happy with our RNY decision...and not all of us dump, need B12 shots, lose our hair, etc. I also want to add that we get a lot of failed bansters who want to convert to RNY, but I haven't heard of anyone with a failed RNY who wished they had gotten the band to begin with, though there may be some out there.

Now, I know I will probably be bashed b/c I am currently posting on a LB forum, but come on! Does it make you feel better to badmouth RNYers and put us in a separate group? :whatchutalkingabout As I said, we are all WLS patients.

but I haven't heard of anyone with a failed RNY who wished they had gotten the band to begin with, though there may be some out there. quote]

i would never bash one for any WLS they have chosen, however i am friends with an RNY person (just shy of 3yrs post op) who wishes she chose the band or another WLS. i see your not yet 2 months post op & i not a yr post op...there can be complications w/both long term.

if another forum satisfies you as an RNY patient - enjoy that support...this was an open question on a LBT forum about any/all experiences with RNY. just because some of the discussions are not part of your world, doesn't mean they don't exist.

i wish you all the best w/your weightloss - it is the end purpose for all of us - no bashing made.

but I haven't heard of anyone with a failed RNY who wished they had gotten the band to begin with, though there may be some out there. quote]

i would never bash one for any WLS they have chosen, however i am friends with an RNY person (just shy of 3yrs post op) who wishes she chose the band or another WLS. i see your not yet 2 months post op & i not a yr post op...there can be complications w/both long term.

if another forum satisfies you as an RNY patient - enjoy that support...this was an open question on a LBT forum about any/all experiences with RNY. just because some of the discussions are not part of your world, doesn't mean they don't exist.

i wish you all the best w/your weightloss - it is the end purpose for all of us - no bashing made.

Not part of "my world". That's rich. Talking about each other shouldn't be in ANY world. We are all human and WLS patients. I think you missed my point. I'm not saying that people here weren't supportive when I thought I wanted the band. Even when I chose RNY they wished me well. But why badmouth RNYers? You proved my point..I'm a RNYer, so I am "wrong."

Oh, and as I said...I'm sure some RNYers wish they got the band, but I haven't read about any. And don't make innuendos about "going back" to "my" forum. I've made friends here. Wish you luck too with your weight loss. THAT is all that should be said to one another.

Not part of "my world". That's rich. Talking about each other shouldn't be in ANY world. We are all human and WLS patients. I think you missed my point. I'm not saying that people here weren't supportive when I thought I wanted the band. Even when I chose RNY they wished me well. But why badmouth RNYers? You proved my point..I'm a RNYer, so I am "wrong."

Oh, and as I said...I'm sure some RNYers wish they got the band, but I haven't read about any. And don't make innuendos about "going back" to "my" forum. I've made friends here. Wish you luck too with your weight loss. THAT is all that should be said to one another.

oh good lord get a grip.

you have at any point, in any forum to move past any offensive post.

how though did i badmouth RNY by just posting an experience of MINE? and my friend? - who is now on her second revision surgeon consult.

get your anger in check - when i suggest you enjoy your forum where you can enjoy a similar surgery path with those of the same was not to shun or send you on your way .... have a party here.

i wished you well, as i would any WLS patient - i do HAVE the right to post my stories as do you.

Babynicole,

I know the forum you speak of and have never had a bad experience there. As you know I am banded post op one year and my daughter RNY post op 2 1/2 months. I go there for my daughter as she is not a forum person and when there are issues with her procedure or I have questions I feel very welcome and safe there which is not necessarily the case here.

Unless you choose to be a "band cheerleader" you may not get that welcome feeling here that you get at other forums even if they've added a so called RNY section to this forum. Gastric Sleeves seem to be more acceptable alternatives here for some reason. I don't know why people tend to be so tunnel visioned here but many are.

WLS in general is a major decision and no matter which one we choose it can have complications and problems so I really don't see why people think their sh&*t here don't stink, lol!:whatchutalkingabout

Babynicole,

I know the forum you speak of and have never had a bad experience there. As you know I am banded post op one year and my daughter RNY post op 2 1/2 months. I go there for my daughter as she is not a forum person and when there are issues with her procedure or I have questions I feel very welcome and safe there which is not necessarily the case here.

Unless you choose to be a "band cheerleader" you may not get that welcome feeling here that you get at other forums even if they've added a so called RNY section to this forum. Gastric Sleeves seem to be more acceptable alternatives here for some reason. I don't know why people tend to be so tunnel visioned here but many are.

WLS in general is a major decision and no matter which one we choose it can have complications and problems so I really don't see why people think their sh&*t here don't stink, lol!:whatchutalkingabout

brandy - you KNOW me; i don't entertain or engage in "MY WLS" crap is better than yours. to each it's own - but i did/do have a valid story to add to this thread & i don't typically over indulge in pissing contests.

i am NO cheerleader - my expectations of the band are mine & if they fail - well; on to the next chapter. lets not stereotype those with valid stories on the subject.

YIKES! I want to add one more thing after reading a lot of the posts on this thread...I am on another forum that has mostly RNY patients and we don't talk about bandsters like you guys are talking about RNYers. I'm SHOCKED at what I read here. Sorry to say this, but people who talk about others are usually not happy with their choice.. That's why we don't "talk about" bandsters. We are happy with our RNY decision...and not all of us dump, need B12 shots, lose our hair, etc. I also want to add that we get a lot of failed bansters who want to convert to RNY, but I haven't heard of anyone with a failed RNY who wished they had gotten the band to begin with, though there may be some out there.

Now, I know I will probably be bashed b/c I am currently posting on a LB forum, but come on! Does it make you feel better to badmouth RNYers and put us in a separate group? :whatchutalkingabout As I said, we are all WLS patients.

=======================================================

My Dr has a support group which I had to join. I am the one who was bashed. When I said something to the leader, I was directed to another group obesityhelp.com where I read scathing trash from RNYs again bands. In my Drs group I was attacked and actually told

"I'm surprised that Dr. K did not talk you out of the Lap Band as he did me! I went into his office convinced that I would be having the Lap Band"

and

"I am curious if Dr. K had a preference for you either way?

You may wish to take time and read some of the abstracts posted on the www.asbs.org website. This is the American Society of Bariatric and Metobolic Surgeons. Eash year they have a conference and you can find some very interesting research abstracts on the site."

This is just a small sample, I had to keep samples so that I can tell my Dr why his support group was not right for me. Even though I had clearly expressed that this was a personal choice I was constantly told that their choice was the only correct choice.

And the last time I posted to obesityhelp.com I read the most disgusting tirade against someone who choose a lap band. I decided there and then that this was not the sight for me.

Just as you may not be one of the biggotted, obviously there are enough of us who incounted this type of behavior to get so many posts. Actually everyone was so supportive and as you said, it doesn't matter what form you choose, just don't shove your choice down my throat.

I personally expressed my condolences to the young woman who lost her sister. Personally I am not prejudice against anyone! Be it RNY or DS, but TRUST ME a few of us have experienced CRAP, as I put it, from others in other groups. That is why I choose to be in this group, with people who understand me and my choices.

I guess you have received all my pent up feelings, but when you cannot even participate in your own surgerons support group. Funny - I guess they didn't understand the concept of SUPPORT!

brandy - you KNOW me; i don't entertain or engage in "MY WLS" crap is better than yours. to each it's own - but i did/do have a valid story to add to this thread & i don't typically over indulge in pissing contests.

i am NO cheerleader - my expectations of the band are mine & if they fail - well; on to the next chapter. lets not stereotype those with valid stories on the subject.

Luluc,

I wasn't directing that to you personally and don't know why you thought I did. I have had problems with people at this forum, albeit probably just a handful but you are not one of them. Things got a bit petty here in months past, just as they do in any forum, part of the game I suppose.

Anyway I don't come that often or post that often, not like I used to as I have changed my POV of this forum but still am banded so I like to keep a pulse on things once in a while.

Lately I've been reading various threads attacking other forums and certain people in particular who have had other WLS and find it to be immature and petty. Maybe you don't read all the threads that I have and haven't seen it. As a mother of a RNYer and personally am a Lapbander I maybe a bit more objective about things and maybe not, lol. So I have to learn about my own proceedure and deal with my own issues as well as my daughters.

So it really gets in the way of things when I see how immature people have gotten on some of these forums this one included as well as Obesityhelp but I don't see Lapbandtalk as the "high ground" in any way, shape or form. It's too bad there is so much bullying around here and other forums for WLS when all people want is real support and knowledge.

We've all suffered enough in our society, especially as women, with too much pressure to be thin, first with diets that fail and we end up gaining weight, diet meds, and then placing our children on diets at early ages did nothing for the "obesity" epidemic in our society and now we're all getting WLS! When one of those screws up we now get revision WLS. The thought that we're all fighting over whose WLS is better is a bit insane to me at this moment, sorry brandyII-Nanook:frown: