Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do any of you get "crap" from RNY

Right now my best friends mom is going through all the pre-stuff for getting the RNY surgery. She's filling my friends head with all these negative things shes "knows" about the lap band, like how apparently having the lap band makes it easier to "cheat" and how you can't eat any of the foods you like. People are just ignorant and need to be educated. Unfortunately some people are just stuck in their ignorance and refuse to aknowledge that they might be wrong about something. A few of my friends parents have had the RNY done, some have had tons of success, a couple are bigger now then they were pre-surgery. No surgery is a miracle cure-all. People have to work at loosing weight. When people are being stupid and judgemental, I just try to ignore them. I know that I have made the right decision.

Easier to cheat on the band?? WOW if someone knows a way to cheat please tell me! My mom had the RNY, she eats 2-3 times more than I do and eats crap. She can't get an adjustment now that she has stretched her pouch and is very sorry she did it.

I personally think the band is a bit harder than the RNY because if we wanted we could eat bad stuff. We have to make more of a commitment, maybe that is what is so scary to them!

I think that the "easier to cheat" isn't all that wrong actually. High calorie liquids usually go down easily for many--ie icecream, sugary drinks, etc. and if you want to get unfilled and/or just not keep up on your fills, you can. SHOULDN'T, but can. Heck, my surgeon's office has told me at least a dozen times that it is very easy to cheat the band and that I have to do the work to make it work.

I don't think there is ANYTHING wrong with saying, "Yep, I can cheat the band if I want to, but I don't want to." The same features that make it easier to pick unhealthy foods also make it easier for us to have a wide range of healthy foods and not be limited in our choices.

Sorry you're getting so much grief though. I hate the whole "my surgery is better than your surgery" attitudes that I hear so often.

I don't like the "mine is better than yours" attitude either. My mom and sis both had RNY and they're doing great! I also know a couple of people who have failed on RNY. I chose the band b/c I didn't feel RNY was right for me. My mom is very supportive and backs me 100% (sis doesn't know yet). She felt the band wasn't right for her and was more comfortable with RNY. I say to each his/her own. You need to do the research and decide what's best for you. My mom has said that she would never tell someone they should have RNY. She would answer their questions as to her experience but that would be it. I think that's a good attitude.

I have been reading this thread and it is making me NERVOUS. I had surgery 4 days ago and am spending a TON of money (self-pay) - r u saying that the Lap-Band doesn't work???? What is the RNY?

I am new to this - thought it was going to change my life....

Do bandsters not lose as much???

I have been reading this thread and it is making me NERVOUS. I had surgery 4 days ago and am spending a TON of money (self-pay) - r u saying that the Lap-Band doesn't work???? What is the RNY?

How could you read this thread and ask that question?? As many have said you will lose slower but long term you will lose just as much weight. By pass is rny because of the shape, they route the top of your stomach to your arse so you have malnutrition and if you studied the subject and asked around you know people who did by pass and over ate and stretched out their newly formed smaller pouch and gained it all back and more. Lap band is the tortoise, slow and steady, but can win the race.

You really should do some reading if you have lapband and dont know what the other options were to lapband. With lapband if you are like me, I have no restriction with the surgery and it can take an average of 3 fills on your nickle to get to your sweet spot where it dims your appetitue. It doesnt happen overnight with the band. Each procedure has pluses and minuses.

They say we don't loose as much, but you loose as much as you want IF you do the work. I have lost 165 lbs in 18 months. SO I have lost 100% of my excess weight. More than a bandster or a RNY. If you work it, it works!

They say we don't loose as much, but you loose as much as you want IF you do the work. I have lost 165 lbs in 18 months. SO I have lost 100% of my excess weight. More than a bandster or a RNY. If you work it, it works!

Agreed Boo Boo, I am almost 11 mos post op and have lost almost 130 lbs. Like you, I am my clinics "star" lb patient. I work out, both cardio and resistance, and have already been asked to have my before and "after" pics posted on the boards around the clinic to show the success you can achieve with lb.

You have to work with the band, it doesn't do it all for you. If you put in the work in the exercise dept., you will be successful.

It didn't come as much of a surprise when I attended the few support groups I did, that the men were overall accepting of the others there, regardless of the type of surgery they chose, while the women were confrontational, and argumentive about which surgery was best.

It is sad to see it, but it happens in everything it seems, women are cruel to other women. They put them down for being overweight, then harp at them when they lose that weight. They either 'took the easy way out' with surgery for those not needing it, or they chose the wrong surgery by the RnY'ers. If a woman wears clothes too tight, she is slutty, and if they are too loose she is a slob. Few men care what another is wearing! Men do not dissect what one another had for lunch---other than to wonder if they too should have ordered that. Women--some of them can tell you what every person had and how much they ate, and how they ate it!!!

I know this is a generality----but it is VERY common! The more women you are around, the more crap you will get from them!

I have been really busy the last 6 weeks with the National High School Final Rodeo in our town--there are over 1600 kids from over 40 states, 5 Canadian provinces, and from Australia. I volunteered and worked with many of these people 4-6 years ago, when the finals were held here last time. Through the volunteering, I work with a variety of people, probably more men involved than I have worked with in years. The last rodeo, was before my surgery, and I am now within sight of my goal, and in a size 10 comfortably. The men while not being flirtatious, are complimentary, and then drop it. They do not question what I eat, they do not make snide comments about me regaining it in 2 years. The women.....oh good grief, they cannot stop the questions. I am no longer just Kat-----------I am just a body attached to the band!!! It seems we cannot discuss anything else--including the job we are there to do!!!

I am not ashamed of being banded, and do not regret for a second telling anyone of it----I feel it might give hope to someone who is in the position I found myself a few years ago. But without a doubt the negativity from those that have chose another surgery, and those who refuse to educate themselvesis irritating as hell!!!!

We are all different, and come from different places in life, we had different eating issues, why in the world would we think one surgery was for everyone---that is why there are options!!!

Hang in there-----as my Grandma used to say, the proof is in the pudding. Lose your weight, retain your health and show them!!!

It has shut many an early naysayer up in my situation.

Kat

I got the RNY crap from my support group as well. They were almost militant about it. I told my doctor about it, and he said to KEEP GOING and prove them wrong. That's exactly what I did. Until my recent plateau, I've lost almost as fast as an RNY patient. Their jaws would drop when I told them what I lost. When malabsorption issues were discussed, I got to smugly say, "I don't have an opinion on that since I don't have to SUFFER with that". B-12 shots? "I don't have an opinion on that since I don't have to SUFFER with that". Dumping syndrome? "I don't have an opinion on that since I don't have to SUFFER with that". Hair loss? "I don't have an opinion on that since I don't have to SUFFER with that". trembling and low blood sugar? "I don't have an opinion on that since I don't have to SUFFER with that". After about 3 months, they shut up and never say a word anymore.

TOUCHE!!!

I just got back from my best friends house, I had to pick her little sister up from a concert because of all the storms here and then brought her home just as my best friends mom was getting home from work. I looked like crap and was just in my pajamas, but when her mom saw me, she couldn't get over how thin she thought I looked. Personally I don't really see it, but I do see myself everyday, she doesn't see me as much and hadn't seen me in a few weeks, she made me do a couple spins and then said how proud she was of me. Even though she can be hard on me I was glad she is recognizing my efforts, with the help of my band of course. :)

I got the RNY crap from my support group as well. They were almost militant about it. I told my doctor about it, and he said to KEEP GOING and prove them wrong. That's exactly what I did. Until my recent plateau, I've lost almost as fast as an RNY patient. Their jaws would drop when I told them what I lost. When malabsorption issues were discussed, I got to smugly say, "I don't have an opinion on that since I don't have to SUFFER with that". B-12 shots? "I don't have an opinion on that since I don't have to SUFFER with that". Dumping syndrome? "I don't have an opinion on that since I don't have to SUFFER with that". Hair loss? "I don't have an opinion on that since I don't have to SUFFER with that". trembling and low blood sugar? "I don't have an opinion on that since I don't have to SUFFER with that". After about 3 months, they shut up and never say a word anymore.

TOUCHE!!!

You have courage. I was going to avoid the August group but maybe I should go and hold my head up. It's only a few hours and you make VERY valid points. I am just shy in front of strangers. I have to say though, I have forced myself, to post, to get involved, to sit in the front of the room during the seminar and to go up and shake the Doctor's hand after. I have to take control of my life, I have the control to make this work. Only two more weeks, I will let all of you know how it goes.

I go to my support group at least twice a month which is required since I am not approved yet and it's the same thing there. What annoys the RNY members the most is that there's like 10 of them there and more than 30 lap band members. They call themselves the outsiders. I just listen to what they have to say and ignore the negativity of it all. I am not there to judge anyone. It's fortunate that my support group has a lot of lap band members.

I was told by three doctors that they would not support me if I chose RNY. They felt the slower the better and they see the lap band as good tool to help us lose weight. One of them said it was like a "Jump Start" for me and that he felt I was ready to take this on. They also mentioned that they were not satisfied with all of the post operative effects RNY has on patients both mentally and physically. But that's just there opinion other doctors would not agree with this. I guess it goes back to their own experiences with other patients. I do not know I chose not to ask them.

I researched all options in every place I can think of and I am 100% positive that I have made the best choice for me and that's what it's all about it's what's best for each person.

Next time someone gives you crap about not choosing RnY, you send them to me, and I'll tell them about my sister.

I'll tell them she died in January 2008, 14 years post-op. I'll tell them she starved to death, died a horrible, excruciatingly drawn-out death, because she could not absorb nutrients anymore. I'll tell them that in the 2 years it took her to die of malnutrition I got to see the old woman she would have been, should have been, when she was 88, not 38. She looked like a walking corpse and people stopped and stared at her. It horrified her so much she stayed home. She developed Beri-Beri. Pancreatitis. She was on TPN and on J-tube. She lost her teeth, stopped growing her hair, ended up on hospice. I've nurse 3 relatives through cancer and I've never seen pain like she experienced when she had cellulitis from her feet t the tops of her thighs. And then her body started scavenging thiamine from her neural sheathe and her nerve pain was beyond belief. But saddest of all, she was so thiamine-deprived she developed a form of psychosis, and the last year of her life she was not herself.

Yes, RnY gave her a quality of life she never would have had, and arguably, it might have extended her life. But SHE is the one who told me about the Lap Band, and she who told me she wished it had been available to her, instead of the RnY.

There. End of Rant.