Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help quit smoking pre op

Hello to all, I was told to quit smoking pre op 1 month before surgery. Well surgery is less than two weeks away (29th) and I have still yet to quit smoking! Anyone know why they want me to do this? Has anyone else smoked all the way up to surgery and if so, did everything go okay for you? It is so hard for me to quit in this stressful time...THANKS FOR READING, DEBBIE :frown: :mad: :ohmy: :lol: :lol: :confused2: :thumbup: :thumbup: :mad2: :lol::) :thumbup: :confused:

I think it's because of the anesthesia. Smoking compromises your lungs, and when you have general anesthesia they are further compromised. I'm not a Dr. and have no medical experience, but I would stop asap. It's a hard habit to kick, I know, but it's really, really necessary for lots of reasons, not just your up-coming surgery. Been there done that. Sorry to preach

I totally agree with you, I do need to quit anyhow... But it is so hard at this time....hard to quit everything at once you know. I was always told one thing at a time. Uggh:cursing: so frusterating! As I sit here with a cig...

I don't want to give anyone the wrong impression (I have been corrected in the past when discussing this topic). So first of all, for the record, I want to make it clear that I am not advocating continuing smoking; I am sure you are as well aware as I am that smoking is bad for you but you didn't ask for a sermon and that was not your question.

Smoking can cause breathing problems with the anesthesia.

That being said, I smoked right up until the night before surgery and didn't have any adverse reactions. Not saying you won't have problems but again that is not what you asked.

In preparation for surgery, I gave up my Diet Pepsi, all other caffeine products and was eating liquids only~no carbs for two weeks. There was no way I could accomplish all that AND quit smoking.

I haven't had a cigarette since that final one before surgery 48 days ago. The recovery (I had both lap band and hiatal hernia repair)kept me from smoking the first 3-4 days and so at that point I decided to kick the habit. But my surgery and recovery went very well.

As a new ex-smoker I remember all to well how difficult it is to quit. I know that you don't need to be preached to (that does not help at all). You don't need to be told that it is bad for you ...you know that. But those who have never smoked before don't understand and some (not all) ex-smokers become "holier than thou" on the topic and are quick to start preaching. I hope never to become one of those types of ex smokers, my DH is one of them. :)

HI!

Well smoking as they have said is bad in regards to anasthesia but it could also slow the healing process. I look at it this way. If you doc knows you smoke and he or she has given you all these crazy things to accomplish right before a life changing surgery they cannot expect you to all of a sudden have superior will power. I mean if we all had that this forum wouldn't be here and we would all be a healthy weight.

I think you will be fine. Try to cut back as much as possible. When I quit. I would lieave my smokes in my car so i would have to get my keys go out to the car etc etc. I made rules that were easy to abide by and now 5 weeks and 1 day post op I hit a cig 2 days ago and wanted to barf.

That is one bad habit I have for sure kicked.

Good luck!! You can do it!!

XOXOX

Barbie

Actually, there's another reason they don't want you to smoke. The nicotine contricts your blood vessels, decreasing the amount of blood circulating to your extremities and to your wounds. Smoking prolongs healing time and recovery. Remember, Patches have nicotine in them too.

Melissa

After smoking for 38 yrs, I quit 5 mos ago in preperation for my upcoming surgery. All I can tell you is that in recovery when I was awaking, I was so scared, it felt like my chest was crushing, and I couldn't get my breath. My pulse oxygen was also down due to the restrictions in my lungs. It took about 5 days after the surgery before I could even take a deep breath. Besides, all the goop I was coughing up from my lungs. Please, Please, stop smoking ASAP before your surgery!!!

I know all too well what you are going through. I've been smoke free for a month now and it has not been easy. I have done little things to keep me from falling into that trap.

1. do not leave the office for lunch

2. do not bring bank card with me to work

3. do not stop at any atm unless all the money will be used for a specific purpose

4. try to stay away from smokers as much as possible

I am able to do these because I live close to my job but it has helped me kick the habit. I do have some cravings but I try to adjust things so I do not give in. For instance I bring one or both of my kids with me to run errands. I do not smoke with them in the car so it keeps me from purchasing a pack.

I quit smoking over two years ago, and I notice, I just heal better overall after I quit. The carbon monoxide in smoking attaches to your blood cells not allowing as much oxygen on them, causing your heart to work harder, and also slowing the healing tissue and organs that requires oxygen. Also, smoking causes acid in the stomach which can also cause post op problems.

Hi, I just want to let you know that I had to do the same. I had my surgery the 7th of May this year. I always said I wanted to quit but I really didn't. It was my friend, I related it to my quiet time and relaxation time. I did this because this is when I smoked. I also did it when I was worried or under stress and it calmed me. So it became my crutch. When they said I needed to quit before surgery it rather floored me. This was my friend something that was with me when nothing else was. But, it was either it or me. I wanted this surgery, so I quit, not alone. The doctors office gave me the prescription for chantix. I took it and I am smoke free. It's wonderful, not just the band, I have quit something that had a bigger hold on me than I thought. Now don't get me wrong, there are somedays I still crave really bad, but after taking the chantix I have the willpower to say no. I know you can do it, I did and my willpower is not that great. Good luck and Just think how bad you want this surgery and believe me you will find the willpower.Also ask the doctors office about a prescription.:) P. S. my name is Debi too. Good luck and my prayers are with you

Edited by rubberband

Thank you to all who have responded..everyone is so inspirational to me! I plan on quitting at one week before op. I do want to be healthy all over so quitting smoking is a must! Thanks all....keep ya posted! Debbie

Edited by Debski

I am not a smoker but do know about trying to quit an addiction. My Nutritionist said that my doctor requires anyone she is doing surgery on to quit smoking a month or more prior to surgery and that they would be checking the pre-op bloodwork for nicotine and if the results showed person was still smoking, surgery would be cancelled until they could quit.

That info seemed to make a couple people in class sit up and take notice.

Hope you don't have the same problem.

im having surgery on 7/31 my doc of course would like me to quit but didnt pressure me i am on a liquid diet. when i met with anesthesia they told me i could where a patch if i wanted to as i plan to quit after surgery hope this helps

Smoking cause the problems everyone has already mentioned, having said thatquiting smolking the 2nd hardest thing I ever did (losing weight is #1) It really does cause problems with healing and besides can't you find better things to do with the money you'll save - like maybe buy gas? lol

I went through boxes and boxes of TicTacs when I quit

Good luck