Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just got home from my 3 hour surgeon consultation. Once again, she makes me think "maybe I should do gastric bypass instead of Lap Band". She said "I can guarantee you will loose 100lbs with bypass, but I won't guarantee 1lb with the Lap Band". She is doing Lap Band, but just started doing them in March, so she doesn't have enough data from her patients to put forward for new patients. Dh is military, so I can't change surgeons. She said IF I want Lap Band, she'll do it, but she prefers bypass. She was sure to go over all the complications people have from Lap Band, which really scared me.

MPHSMOMMY, Have you met with others who have had the bypass or lap band procedure? It would probably help you make your decision after talking with others about their experience. I personally only wanted the lap band. I felt the bypass was to risky for me and lapband would be more helpful to me in the future. If you can find a support group and attend the meeting, you should get an earful. I am happy with my decision to have the lap band and Ive lost 61 pounds this year. Best Wishes.

Me too-I been involved with this process for over 10 months and had my second consultation with the doc. Almost the same conversation- the weight will come off with the bypass--the band only about 60-70% of the weight will come off within the first 2 years. Fills and .... all the pros and cons. My surgeon has been doing lap band for over 5 years and bypass for 8 more so he is considered experienced. Just very confused.

You need to make this decision yourself. Go with your gut.

Is this surgeon concerned in her ability to do the LB?

For me, I would never re-route my organs. It's a permanent decision that can't be undone. Also, it's "one size fits all". I love that the LB is adjustable to it a perfect fit for me. I have a friend who was banded at around the same time, same size band, same age, yet she is 2cc's less than me for her sweet spot! The lap-band is removable. That was a big factor for me.

Also, keep in mind I started at a lower BMI than most (36.5), and I have lost nearly 50 lbs in 8 months...even being a lower BMI!!!

Yes - most LB patients lose slower than bypass, but that can actually be a good thing. When you lose really fast, you tend to have more loose skin that has to be removed with plastic surgery. Can be around $20k (rough estimate) to fix the skin, and 99% of the time that's not covered by any insurance. Of course you can have loose skin with LB, but not as severe a situation.

I think it's ridiculous she said you won't lose 1 lb.

Just some things to think about.

I understand your confusion, I was there at one point too. For me it all came down to what I was comfortable with. Sure, Gasric Bypass patients lose a lot of weight, fast, but do they keep it off? Not necessarily. The lap band has pretty much the same success rate as GB if you look at it 5 years out. For me, that was the important factor. I don't care if I lose 100 pounds in 6 months, rather, I want to lose it safely without feeling sick all the time and more importantly looking sick. WLS is a personal choice. Arm yourself with the facts and make a decision based on what you know you can live with long term. For me, the lap band was the only way to go - the thoughts of dumping syndrome, losing my hair, saggy skin, rerouting my parts to lose weight was just not appealing. This weight didn't come on fast and I am ok if it takes time to come off. It is a journey.... :biggrin:

Good luck with your decision. Remember you are the only one who determines whether or not you succeed. Do not take the "wisdome" of your doctor as gospel. Go with your gut!

Kelly:

I agree with most of what everybody else said. I am fortunate in that I have lost 138 pounds in less than 15 months. It's a very personal decision to make. I'm glad that I made the decision that I made.

In the back of my mind I think that they're going to come up with the miracle drug in the next ten years that will allow me to eat whatever and as much as I want without gaining weight. Until then, me and my band will continue to be buddies.

I hope your decision ends up being the best one for you and your personal circumstances.

Take care.

Sue

Edited by Sue Magoo
missed a word.

I just got home from my 3 hour surgeon consultation. Once again, she makes me think "maybe I should do gastric bypass instead of Lap Band". She said "I can guarantee you will loose 100lbs with bypass, but I won't guarantee 1lb with the Lap Band". She is doing Lap Band, but just started doing them in March, so she doesn't have enough data from her patients to put forward for new patients. Dh is military, so I can't change surgeons. She said IF I want Lap Band, she'll do it, but she prefers bypass. She was sure to go over all the complications people have from Lap Band, which really scared me.

I have lost 100 lbs with the band in 11 months 1 week - it's work yes - you have to change your eating and physical activity level - but you have to do that with the bypass too - the diff is that with bypass you don't absorb your calories (the whole malnutrition aspect) where with the band we do absorb our calories - Yes there are complication with both - but imho the bands complications are are lot less than bypass.

It's up to you - it's your body your decision... Good Luck...

mphs, you mentioned that your surgeon went over the risks of the band. Did she also go over the risks of bypass? All it took for me to make the decision was to hear the mortality rate and side effects possible with GB. They are much more severe than with the band. Of course, as others have said, this is a personal decision. My question was just did she give you the facts for both procedures? Did she mention the gastric sleeve at all as an option? Good luck!

I love the band, personally. There are not as many LONG TERM complications, IMHO... I don't want to be attached to supplements the rest of my life.

The band also offers me exactly what I want. I wanted HELP losing weight. I did not want a surgery to do it for me. I knew in my heart that I am strong willed, motivated, young, love myself and am willing to do what it takes. But I also had PCOS and 150lbs to lose fighting me. I knew I couldn't do it without help. I got help on May 13th. I am now down 42lbs.

If you have faith in yourself that you can stick to the rules (which, with the band, are significantly easier to do than doing it without any help) then you will do AMAZINGLY at the band. No worries. My doctor is one of the top in the state...named by a Top Doctors yearly list. He believes that the band is a fantastic tool (though he does more RNYs) and believes that if you need help and can follow the rules, there is no reason you can't succeed....and succeed enormously!

Think about what you want from a surgery. That helped me make my decision. Now I feel great that without malabsorption, I have already lost so much weight. It is so FRICKIN empowering!!

Good luck!

I am with the others that re-routing just was not an option. Look at the before and after thread...there are plenty of people who have lost 100+ pounds...

I am 6.5 months out and am down 70, I only have 20-25 more to go and should hit my goal by 10 months. So yes, you can lose like the bypass if you work at it!

Is there a forum like this for bypass patients? Maybe you ought to poke around there too. My guess is that folks here will be biased towards the band, since most of us already went through this mental exercise and chose the band...

Good luck regardless...

It's such a personal and difficult decision. Of course, don't forget you are also coming for advice to a room full of people (so to speak) who all chose the lap band!

I agonized between bypass and the lap band also. My best advice is to research both of them as much as you can. You're the one who has to live with the outcome, no matter which way you go.

I was changing my mind every thirty minutes for awhile there. But in the end I began to think of it as "drastic bypass" and I just didn't want to put myself through that. Being self-pay, I also feared what I perceived to be the higher risk for complications with bypass surgery (which would also come out of my pocket). Also, it's true that bypass patients lose a dramatic amount of weight quickly, but the studies have shown that at the end of 3 years, bypass and lap band patients have all lost an average of the same amount of weight. And, as impatient as I am to lose all these extra pounds, I want to do it the healthy way and with as little loose skin as possible at the end of it. It's true that nobody can guarantee that I will lose the weight I want to lose.... but I can guarantee it, because I am determined to work with my band and let it help me.

Those are the things that helped me finally make up my mind. Again, learn as much as you can about both surgeries. I read every on line blog and diary I could find, every doctor's website, I went to support group meetings with bypass and lap band patients, and finally a seminar.

Best of luck whichever way you decide to go!

I have lost 95lbs in 11 months. That said, lap band requires a lot of follow-up with a skilled aftercare team so I would really check into that before deciding on a procedure.

I wouldn't want to lose 100 pounds in 6 months anyway. EVERYONE would know you had it done because who can lose weight that fast unless they're dying of cancer or something? And most of the people I know that have had gastric bypass have "the look". That emaciated look, that starving look, that saggy look. The lap banders I know don't look that way. They look healthy.

I would sooo never go to her again! its ur choice..she obviously wants to push u to gastric bypass because thast what she does and she wants the money from being ur Dr. and operating. I dont like that at all,,,and by the way do u have tricare standard or prime..cus u can always go to another Dr. if u have prime tell ur pcm u want a referal to another surgeon because u dont think she has ur best interest in mind ..and if u have standard just go to another Dr.. My Dh just got out of the military and I had prime the whole time..well I switched to standard after he got out ( with that 6 month transitional ins.) and I just got my surgery done 2 weeks ago...go figure my tricare ends in a wks lol..crazy..

Anywho..dont let someone push u into anything u are unsure of or dont want just because SHE is the surgeon its ur body and ur life..she can go to hell if shes more comfortable doing bypass..F her...

Sorry if Im bitchy I just hate the fact she is trying to presude u. makes me mad!

And for me bypass was never an option..I dont like all the scary stuff that goes with rerouting thats huge risk and VERY dangerous to reverse. and the fact u can actually gain all the weight back in a few yrs when your "new stomach" regenerates cells which will then absorb ur fat intake.Which I've personally seen happen to a friend.

Im sure u will make the right decision for yourself.

Edited by BumbleBree