Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

You lost that ?losing? feeling

It’s like when the new car smell leaves and we start treating our Twenty Five thousand dollar car like a Five hundred Junker. It’s the same principle the newness of it all has faded and we feel like we can revert back to old eating habits. I don’t think we set out to do this on a conscience level; but we do it none the less. So how do you get it back, well we have to start with being honest with ourselves.

Ask yourself “What changed?” to make you want to revert to your old eating habits and exercise habits. Does your job suck, and you hate your boss, Are you fighting with your spouse/boyfriend/girlfriend, does the price of gas have you freaking out? All of these could be triggers that are leading you down a road of destructive behavior.

If you are reaching for food to help take away the “feeling of being overwhelmed” you are “stuffing” what you really feel. This is a behavior we were used to doing, it’s familiar, and it’s our safe haven. This is the time to say “NO” I am not going to reach for food to stuff what I’m feeling, this time I am really going to feel what I feel and work through it without reaching for food.

Trust me others are freaked out by the price of gas, a lot of folks think their job sucks and they hate their boss and guess what they have fights with their significant other. But there is a difference they don’t all reach for food to help get them through their tough times.

You have adopted a new “Lifestyle” and with this new lifestyle is a new relationship with food. Food is fuel, it’s just that simple. The only way to avoid reaching for food; is to have a plan or multiple plans in place when these occurrences present themselves. Instead of reaching for food to take away the “feeling of being overwhelmed” decide what your plan is.

It’s your plan; so make it be something you know you will do. For example when a trigger strikes plan on taking a walk to clear your mind, or you could go to the movies and get lost in someone else’s problems (skip the popcorn with the vat of butter), schedule a manicure or a massage so you can relax (this works for guys too). Or find a hobby that keeps you busy and your mind off of food.

When you are in a state that is ripe for triggers, you have to remember why you had your surgery in the first place. You wanted to become healthy, strong emotionally and physically, you were sick and tired of being sick and tired.

Reaching for food is what led you to the OR to have surgery. Reaching for food is what got you to size 18,20,22,24 and so forth. Reaching for food is what made you depressed and angry at yourself. Reaching for food is what left you with that lonely isolated feeling. Reaching for food is the “LIE” everything is going to be better. Reaching for food is a band aid to the real problem. We can make food whatever we want it to be; we can justify this in our minds. But guess who suffers in the long run “YOU DO”. You have a new lease on life, Reaching for food was your “OLD” way of doing things.

Now that you have a “Plan” there is no excuse to reach for food to stuff your feelings. We did that far too long and we know where that got us. Each one of you deserves to have a successful “WLS Journey”.

It’s ok to remind yourself why you had your surgery in the first place, remember where you came from and where you want to go. Is it hard “You bet it’s hard” but if it wasn’t hard where would the reward be in it? You want to feel like you have accomplished something, you are successful, you overcame the fear and you crossed the finish line.

Edited by CoachCher

I have been banded for almost 1 yr1/2 I used to weigh 278 I know have been stuck at 200 exactly havent lost haven gained since november I have been off track this is the first week I started eating right and watching what I eat I was so happy to see this on the site I have came on a few other times and there was nothing about someone feeling that way and thats how I have been. It kills me inside but I def think I eat with my feelings in the past few months it has been so hard to get a job I have 2 daughters so I just started school and not loosing weight being off track I just stopped caring for some reason. Thanks for post. I feel like I am the only one that cant loose all my weight and its already been a year I still have 55 more to go.

Melanie :biggrin2:

I think there are a lot of folks who feel this way but are too afraid or ashamed to admit it. Be honest with yourself and you can turn this around. The great thing about the band, it's there when you are ready to start losing again. I wish you the best of luck!!

Thanks for well written advice. I was banded March 19, 2008 and although I have lost a healthy amount of weight. I still feel that I make poor food choices and over eat at times because I am emotionally triggered to stuff myself. I have decided to see a therapist who deals with food addictions to help me through this journey. Your advice really made my day. I have been feeling frustrated lately....................Jennifer

i had my surgery 6 weeks ago and have lost 24 lbs., but for the last week and a half i have lost nothing....i keep a journal of my food intake with calories, carbs, and protein....i am only consuming approx. 1200 calories on average although i have upped my carbs (mostly by including fruit in my diet)....i am eating healthy and exercising 2-3 times a week...why am i not losing anymore?! i am worried that this is all i will get...what the heck is wrong with this body of mine?!! i am sacrificing and really working hard to make such little progress......is it time for a fill perhaps? help me, please...i am starting to lose faith........thanks

WOW 24 lbs in 6 weeks that is amazing, that's an average of 4 lbs a week. Your body is changing and adjusting so it's probably taking a rest from losing, it's part of the process.

Here's the deal the first 6-8 weeks are about healing and adjusting to our new way of eating. Weight loss in this time period is a bonus, so consider yourself ahead of the game.

You are eating well and working out well so you know that is not the problem. We all hit a plateau from time to time and believe me your body is making adjustments right now.

If you think you are eating more than you should (I don't think you are based on what you said) it could be time for a fill.

I know it's easier said than done but don't stress if you haven't lost any weight, you didn't gain this weight overnight so it's not going to come off overnight.

Keep in mind sometimes we have to shock our system to get things moving again. Try to change up your eating a little; maybe add some calories or take away some calories. Also change up your workouts a bit, add some more cardio (cardio is what burns calories).

Be kind to yourself during this time and keep in mind it's a process.

You are doing "AWESOME" focus on that; not the scale for now.

Edited by CoachCher

Thanks for the encouragement. I, too, am battling with "old habits". Especially since my granddaughter has been visiting me this summer, I find myself reaching for the wrong foods. I seem to do o.k. until the afternoon. I really have a hard time getting all my Water in. I want that feeling of accomplishment that I had when I was losing.

I've learned to control my calories during the day so I can have a wonderful bowl of ice cream at night. I don't do it every night, but I know this is a BAD BAD habit to creep into. I've been working on re motivating myself to eat the right things. Thanks for the article.

Thats why its so important to have "PLAN" in place. Each and everyone of us will experience temptation or bad choices. If we have a plan in place we are prepared when the situation arises. You are ahead of the game because you know when your weakness is "Afternoon", make a plan so you have an out when the craving strikes.

Let me know how this works for you :thumbs_down:)

I am so proud of you guys, you know your weakness and what could spin you out of control. Recognizing your weakness is the first step to making corrections.

I am not an advocate of denying ourselves of anything.

I follow what I have coined as the 6/1 rule. I eat well for "Six" days and on the seventh day I eat what I want. This way I'm not eating crap throughout the week, but I'm also not depriving myself of anything either.

Try to follow this principle for a week and see if it helps.

This article is exactly what I am going through right now. I am living with my mother once again and there is so much stress around here I have gained 11 lbs. My clothes are fitting me tight again. To top that I now live in West Texas and had my surgery in Dallas (east texas). To get a fill I have to go back to Dallas. I have scheduled a fill for the 15th of August. I want to start losing again and get back on the losing track again. I want to get to my goal weight and start feeling healthy again. Thank you for writing this article.

Dieta Craig

So glad to hear others have the same problems. I go to local support groups and everyone talks about all the good stuff. Never any negativity-- kind of made me feel alone about this. I know I am not a failure, and the band is just a tool so I focus on the 37lbs I have lost throughout the year and pray another 37 will come off this year. Thanks for the true story of the weight loss journey.

I know a lot of folks like to make out like their experience is all sunshine and roses. I think they might do that because they don't want to admit they are struggling as well.

Honestly this was our last ditch effort and if it's not working how we anticipated it to work then we feel like a failure. We don't want others to view us as failures either.

Try going back to the basics and be honest with yourself. I lost my first 60 pounds pretty effortlessly and then I got comfortable. I stayed the same weight for 2 years before I made the decision to get back to the basics and workout on a regular basis and guess what the scale started moving again.

I hope you see the success you want and deserve.

How do you deal with social functions. I am at goal but having a hard time staying there. Everywhere I go, there are too many temptations.