Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not successful in weight loss

marivan. I also do the dance. On Saturday I was 225.4 and today I am 230 but I know on Saturday, I will be around 228. I seem to show a real low weight, the body responds by retaining Water then it dumps it to another low and the cycle continues. I no longer get depressed because I record all weighins. I tried weighing only when I went to my doctors but I got depressed as he told me I gained then I lost. So by keeping track, I can see for myself how my body loses weight. One thing I do know, at the end of the month I am always a bit less. Keep on smiling because when you show weight gains I bet a bottom dollar that is an indication you have lost weight. LOL In time the loss will show up.

Congratulations Mary

Your weight loss is going in the right direction, which is the main thing. I think some people just lose slower than others. Not fair, but true.

I just did the math and my weight loss works out to an average of 1.3 pounds per week.

I too fluctuate, I have this pattern of holding at a weight, then dropping three pounds quickly, then gaining 2 for no reason, then losing those two over a couple of weeks. Its weird, but its like I have to "hit a number" twice before it "sticks".

I never show my gains on my signature.

The import thing is that we are all a helluva lot healthier and fitter than we were last year, and we will be even healthier and fitter this time next year.

You are doing great Mary, despite your doc!!

Maybe it would just make better sense to weigh ourselves once a month. I know I'm definitely pre-menopausal, so hormones are out of wack, my periods are not consistant like they use to be, and even if they are, I'm retaining Water 2-2 1/2 weeks out of the month. I've seriously considered changing from lbs to kilo's...hey, at aleast one kilo is 2.285 lbs.

And we all know that sometimes it's just not in the number on the scale but in the fit of our clothes, right? I just want to do what needs to be done without thinking constantly of that scale. It controls me sometimes to obsession to the point of fault, no?

Tell me what you all think.

Hi Bell. We are all different in how we keep track of our weight loss. I personally must weight every Saturday in the morning. If I weighed in every month I would be back to the big gain or loss as my 4 week cycle does not follow the calendar. Not only that, by weighing frequently and tracking my food, I know when I am beginning to slip and am able to respond in some way to stop the upward trend.

On the news a few weeks ago, a study showed people who track their food intake tended to loose more weight and not put it back on than those that don't. I fit that study.

Bella,

I have thought of weighing myself only once a month, but if I were to weigh-in only once a month, and as Doddie said, it was a gain of a pound, it would plunge me into a couple of miserable days. Sad but true. And as I am tracking only once a week, I am seeing a pattern and getting used to it and not getting myself quite so upset when I gain after what I consider to have been a really good week.

I'm really seeing a difference in my upper body definition now due to the weight training and my legs are getting thinner. My weight is really concentrated in my belly.

However, last week I was trying on some clothes in my closet and I was shocked at how my leather coat was hanging off of me. I just did not feel that much smaller. So, it made me feel a whole lot better that something is going on inside that I can't necessarily see on the scale.

Michee, that sounds just like me. I don't know how accurate my BMI indicator on my scale is, but sometimes when the weight stays the same, but BMI does go down. So I cheer myself up with all the great muscles I'm building!

Girls, you know what they say, slow and steady wins the race! So we will get there eventually and perhaps will be rewarded with less skin hang, and it staying off easier! And Doddie, I see your numbers go down slowly but surely too.

I for one think there has to be some benefit to this!:wink_smile:

Mary

p.s. One good thing that I thought of last night was, no one will be gossiping that I had WLS! :thumbup: It would have come off a heck of a lot quicker!

Edited by marivan
spelling again!

Hi congratulations on your weight loss and the experiencing the wonderful feeling of clothes that fit better.

Turtles unite. There are more of us than we may think. One thing we have in common with others is the fact we will only ever be able to eat one cup of food per meal. Even when we reach the ideal weight, we still will only be allowed one cup of food as maintance. So what is the rush. The old saying "haste makes waste" and I for one am savoring every pound I don't see on the scale.< /p>

how do you guys get your ticker and information on this site? I can't see where in my profile that I would put it?

Mary

Go to home page and scroll down until you see Suggestions, feedback and Questions. Click on How to get a ticker in your signture and look for PhotoNut. She gives excellent instructions. I printed hers out and use it all the time.

Glad tosee you found the instructions. Just read on another site a lady has reached her 100 lb loss after 6 years. I found it very inspiring and reinforces my belief in thinking "what is the rush". I have to remind myself of this occasionally because I do envy fast loosers at time but bring myself back on a reality check. I will always be a slow loser and to work with what I got. go turtle go.

Well, I'm all for being happy with how it goes, but I would like to have reached goal (or pretty close) by the end of next year. I turn 50 next year and I'd like to feel happy in my skin for the first time in a long time (maybe my life!).

Plus, I promised my husband that we would go to Scotland next September for holidays for the first time since we moved back to Canada in 2002. And I've put it off for so long to avoid the pain, discomfort and humiliation that being fat on airplanes brings. So I do still have my goals, but I am not beating myself up quite so much for not losing quickly.

You've done well,and if I can get to the 200 pound mark by my holidays, I will feel and look a heck of a lot better. That will be shy of 100 but in two years I would be happy. You have five more months before your two year anniversary and I'm sure you'll be well over the 90 pound mark by then. 100 lost is still commendable regardless of the time taken to get there.

As you say, Turtles Unite!

Mary

As a technologist, I understand that some problems can't be solved unless I collect all data honestly and pass it on to the engineers.

A simple approach: collect all data ( and don't lie) and pass it along to your doctor or nutritionist. And, if you don't mind, post it on this forum, too.