Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If you do not have a pre-diet, what are you eating your last days?

OK, so I have Aetna and I have Dr. Naim with Top Surgeons, Inc and neither require a pre-diet, I just cannot eat within 12 hours of my surgery. I am curious if any of your are just eating what you want from now until your surgery date or are you waiting until that Last Supper...you know...the one where you starve yourself all day and then gorge yourself on your favorite food or restaurant?

My thought was me and my husband (he can eat what ever he wants and NEVER gain a pound) would go to my favorite sushi place and eat until it hurts and I am going to have one of every sushimi on the menu and drink soda all evening...lol! I will never be able to do that again so why not and I have actually lost 16 lbs. since February while waiting for my insurance appeals to go through so I have a few to spare for one evening of hedonism:thumbup:

I didnt have to do a pre op but I viewed it like this.

Once I made that decision to have surgery I had made a life change and I behaved as if I had from that point on. I could not see the point in the whole last supper thing, and I knew I would feel simply awful about myself if I stuffed my face for months and gained weight beforehand.

Not that I lived on some perfect diet. I resolved just to be moderate, I wasnt trying to lose weight, but I also didnt want to be shoving in everything I thought I'd never eat again either. So I ate moderately and mostly well, and I had what I fancied within reason but I didnt overindulge in anything.

I felt way better about that than I would have felt about going all out on any particular food.

I know you're kind of joking but my thoughts are that you'll eat sushi again so why go nuts on it? Have it for sure, but stuffing it in till you cant move? Is that really how you want to go into life changing weight loss surgery?

I have not been eating terrible at all, have gone from 338 to 222 lbs since the last week in February (15 weeks) and I have always eaten healthy, my problem is I eat very late in the evening and I eat very large portions at that time.

As for the sushi thing, most of the people that I know can no longer do sushi with the band, they say it gets stuck due to texture and moisture and it cannot be chewed well. Keep in mind that I eat real sushi, not the rolls...no rice with it...just uncooked fish with some fresh ginger and wasabi. It is my celebration night and my final time that I will be able to do this and I see nothing wrong with it, especially if it is just one night out of 180 days that I have been eating right since I had my wls seminar. It is my reward for doing so well and my kick off to a new life after sugery.

Sorry if I have upset some as I got some very unkind emails...wow people, relax!

Oh, wow, unkind emails? That's deplorable, I'm really sorry that's happened to you.

If people have a view on what you're saying that they think is too abusive to mention to you in public then they shouldnt say it at all.

Now, I may be thinking "why would you purposely overeat if you're wanting WLS" and you may not feel the same way as me about it. That's fine, you asked, I gave my opinion. So go ahead and enjoy if that's what you want to do.

But dont write off every food based on what other bandsters can and cant eat. I can still eat sushi, really easily. Banding isnt about giving up everything for ever more.

And that's FANTASTIC weight loss by the way, really impressive without a band.

Yes, I go two very unkind private message accusing me of influencing others not to be motivated and others will want to not stick to their pre-op diets. I was called "inconsiderate" and "...not being part of the community..." some of us have doctors that want them to use a diet before their surgery and other surgeons do not require it...mine does not want me to go on one...sorry it that offends some.

It is just a celebration/kick off to what is about to be a wild ride. It has also been something that my husband and I have done for years. About once every three months we leave the kids behind for the evening and go to our favorite restaurant for sushi. We sit at the sushi bar and eat, drink and talk for over 3 hours. We can still do that however I will be very limited to WHAT I can eat (yellow fin tuna and salmon are soft and mushy enough and I am sure two will fill me up) and HOW MUCH so I will no longer eat over 7 varieties over a 3 hour period.

It is a social thing that we have done since we started dating 10 years ago and we also do this with friends. It is more of a sentimental event that we enjoy and it will never be as I know it again, very different from here on.

I know many are doing it here as some poster do not have a pre op diet as well, I just wanted to know what they were doing but if this is going to upset others then I withdraw my question.

I'll have to do the two week diet deal...:lol: However, I knew I needed to put on some weight to get approved for surgery, so I used the last few weeks as my good bye to junk food binge. I bought this gorgeous chocolate pie that I've always wanted to try, but didn't dare because of the crazy amount of calories per serving. I had a piece last night and one the night before, and it was just as good as I had always imagined..lol My husband and son who have never worried about their weight said it was the out of this world delicious. I laughed and told them that they'd better enjoy it now, because it's the last time they'll see it in our house. I visited our favorite Italian restaurant and had lasagna and several pieces of their wonderful bread.

Now, I'm down to business. I'm approved for surgery, so I'm cutting out the junk. There is a steak place we'll go to once or twice before my surgery (I always get the small filet, but I've been told that steak is out for most banders), but basically I'm in for the long term goal of healthy food and healthy living now.

I'm sorry you've gotten those nasty PMs. There's absolutely no excuse for that. I agree with Jachut, you've asked what others are doing, and not everyone will feel a last night unabandoned eating is their cup of tea, but there is no reason for anyone to be nasty to you about it, especially under the guise of PM. Good grief, you're not even gouging down junk food. I think sushimi is about as healthy of binge as you could indulge in. Congrats on your awesome weight loss to date, and enjoy your last big meal. We all will start this journey on our own terms, and yours is no less correct than the next persons. Heck, I have a two months until my surgery, and I may end up having a last meal as well...I'll let you know if I do...lol

Edited by kiz

I'd just like to reassure you that you can and will enjoy food in a social sense after banding.

I'm not trying to talk you out of doing it, and you dont have to justify it to me in any way, actually it was the way that you at first said it, "eat until it hurts" that made me think, oh hang on, do you really want to do that? But going out and enjoying a sushi meal, why the hell not? There's absolutely NOTHING wrong with it, fat people do it, thin people do it, in between people do it! You just made it sound a bit like you wanted to go out and eat till you were sick. I'd still say do you really want to do that, but to go out and enjoy something you might not eat again, that's entirely normal and if you're not limited by a pre op diet then why not?

I certainly didnt spend my pre op time denying myself everything, I just wanted to eat moderately and not go nuts and gain weight becuase that would not have made me feel at all good about myself.

DH is a case in point, he had his first fill today. Got to the doctors and was rather deflated to learn he'd lost no weight, when he's lost 6kg by our scale. Reason being, they're comparing him to the last time they weighed him which was six months ago when he first began investigating. They dont record your weight on the day of surgery in your weight loss file, its more for anaesthetic purposes that they need to know. So he'd been weighed, approved etc and booked his surgery date for 6 months hence, and proceeded to throw caution to the wind and eat like a piggie for that six months. Of course he gained a lot of weight and all he's lost is what he put on. So according to his file, he's lost zip. He wasnt feeling too chipper about that, more than a little embarrassed in fact.

I'd encourage anyone not to put themselves in that situation. But you're obviously not, so dont let others disapproval get you down. You know your own mind, and you do what makes YOU feel good!

I need to laugh about the chocolate cake, I was at costco last weekend and passed by the cheesecake...we all know how great costco Cheesecake is...lol. I ALMOST bought it but I am really watching my cholesterol for two years now and that would have caused me a triple bypass!

Jackie, thank you for the kind words and you will be a good support system for your husband as you look fantastic!