Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

come out Come out Wherever you are.

Hello Bandsters:

I'm a 32 year old gay guy in New York. I'm hoping to get banded this fall, but not sure it will happen. I found at yesterday that my BMI is only 38.2, so I actually would need to gain 15 lbs for my insurance to cover me with a co-morbidity of high blood pressure. However, I may get lucky and have sleep apnea, which would definitely help me get banded. I'm just a little frustrated about this whole process. The idea that 15lbs could actually prevent me from being able to follow through with this is just nuts!!!!

How about all of you, did you have trouble with your insurance companies?

Jason :thumbup:

Jason,

Co-morbities can also include joint pain, asthma, and shortness of breath. Remember to include all of your symproms (co-morbidities) even if they seem insignificant to you.

Harvest

Hello Bandsters:

I'm a 32 year old gay guy in New York. I'm hoping to get banded this fall, but not sure it will happen. I found at yesterday that my BMI is only 38.2, so I actually would need to gain 15 lbs for my insurance to cover me with a co-morbidity of high blood pressure. However, I may get lucky and have sleep apnea, which would definitely help me get banded. I'm just a little frustrated about this whole process. The idea that 15lbs could actually prevent me from being able to follow through with this is just nuts!!!!

How about all of you, did you have trouble with your insurance companies?

Jason :thumbup:

Self pay here. Insurance considered it completely cosmetic. So officially, according to my insurance I have had cosmetic surgery...isn't that funny. Well, you guys don't know me, but it's funny - I promise.

Hi Jason. I hope you get it worked out. My best friend hopes to move to New York. Do you like living up there?

Howdy all! I'm Emily, 21, bi.

I don't have a girlfriend...or boyfriend, right now. Kind of dating around for the time being or something like that. I came out, officially to everyone, when I was 18. But a handful of people knew when I was like 15. And now pretty much everyone I work with knows. Some how we started talking about it one day, and someone asked me point blank, and well, I'm a sucky liar. Plus I swore I'd never lie about my sexuality. After all I went through coming out of the closet, I sure as hell ain't going back in. I'm so used to people knowing now, it surprises me when new people find out and seem surprised. I'm like "Oh, you didn't know? Oh right, we just met, of course you wouldn't know. But yeah, I am", takes me a minute.

I live at the gates of hell, other people may know it as Arizona. I work at the front desk of a hotel and I'm a student. Too keep myself sane I write (guilty pleasure past time is fanfiction), and paint. I also can play three chords on my guitar. Oh, and I've recently discovered a new addiction of craig's list. I'm often on there looking at random stuff for hours on end.

So, um, yeah, thats my nut shell.

I am Jessica and I am a big, fat, lesbian too. I am interested in becoming a healthy, not fat lesbian shortly! Hopefully I will get really sexy, as I am not feeling sexy or cute these days!

Hey all. I'm a 21 year old gay guy in Michigan. I'm hoping to get banded in the next few months if things work out. Unfortunately I have no insurance so I'll be going through financing. That'll be fun... :blush: But completely worth it. I can't even begin to list all the reasons why I want to have this done. I love going to concerts, traveling, etc and the weight makes it tough to do those things!

Anyway, this seems like a great forum. Should be helpful in the future! :eek:

Hello everyone, I am from Memphis Tn. and finally have a date Sept 22. My partner tried also but was not approved for the band. She was not happy about it. what I'm worried about more than the surgery is sagging skin when its all said and done. For some reason I'm afraid of that surgery.

Okay, I have been lurking for long enough...so I guess it is about time I introduce myself. My name is Jennifer, I am 30, gay as can be, and have been with my partner for the last two years. She is a college professor and I am a teacher and a therapist. We actually met at school (we taught in the same school for a year). Gay-dar told me she was gay and I am attracted to sexy, smart women. It worked from the beginning and we had the typical lesbian "U-Haul" relationship. She came over the visit one weekend and never left. We have been together ever since. I could not ask for a more supportive partner in life and I THANK GOD that I am gay. She helped me in the hospital beyond what I would expect any partner to do. How many people are going to pull down your underwear, steady you as you try to go to the bathroom, and then help in other bathroom ways. She is a god-send. So, I am here, happy to be banded and looking forward to a bright future!!!!!!

Hi all,

I'm Michelle, 41, bi and living in Australia.

I live with a male partner of 3.5 years now, though haven't ruled out one day having a girlfriend. We are a little unconventional as a couple, so it isn't impossible.

I work in child care at the moment, but plan to go back to Uni the year after next - will see what I do then. I've had a weight problem since I was 13 and now's the time to do something about it. We are planning on having a bub in about a year's time, so that will be exciting.

Hi Group-

This is my first post. I do not have any gay band support and thought it was time!

I was banded in Jan. 2007. Things have been going well with weight loss but my personal life tanked. My partner of 10 years and I both had surgery. Long, sad story short...9 months later she broke up with me.

I thought she was my forever partner and she had said she felt the same.

Obviously, it didn't work out that way.

Initially, I lost a lot of weight (most likely from grief) and am very grateful for that. Recently, I have had difficulty and put back on some pounds.

I'm back on track again but have a lot of fear. One of the reasons I got the band in the first place was because I couldn't do diets. I know the band is just a tool but I fear I may be back into diet mode. One day at a time!!!

Thanks for being out (no pun intended) here. I look forward to reading your messages and getting to know you better.

Hi gladididit,

welcome!

There seems to be a high % of couples splitting up after a lap band. Its not about the partner, its about the person who has the surgery (in this case your ex). There are a lot of emotional reasons behind putting on weight, some of which we have no idea about until the weight starts to go, then we can't hide them or pretend anymore. Whatever her issue was, she is now in a place where she has to deal with it. Unfortunately, she's decided that isn't with you.

Never mind, it just means someone else is out there waiting for you, when you are ready. Take your time and do the healing you need. We are all here for you.

Michelle

I was just checking out various forums on this site and was looking at one that had info about a LBT cruise that folks were trying to coordinate. I thought, wow how cool, someone is getting a group of gays/lesbians together. A minute or so later, I realized my error. It said LBT (lap band talk) NOT LGBT (les, gay, bi, trans).

DUH!!!!

weight.png

Glad- I laughed at your mistake, I hope you don't mind. I'm sorry to read about your partner. I know that must have been hard, but I'm glad you made it past.

Whoa...you have lost 160 lbs? Goodness gracious mother of mary!!!! Way to go! You must feel like a whole new person. Congratulations.:thumbdown:

Hey Everyone~

I am Pamela and I am a lesbian too! I've been w/ my partner for nearly 4 years. I am a middle school teacher and she is retired military (newly retired). We live in Palm Springs and enjoy our life, home, dog and community.

I used to post in the other LGBT thread, and then that just kinda dissolved. I will have to remember to pop over here from time to time. Glad to see LGBT folks enjoying their own thread.

I have had the band since April 07. I have had some trouble w/ finding a good spot. I am either too tight and trying to ride that out, or not. I am going for a fill in 2 hours. My doctor almost took it all out (saline) in June cause I was PB'ing everything and going to Europe. I talked him into leaving 1.0. I'll probably go to about 1.6 today. Before I was 2.4 and that was WAY too tight. We will see!

Anyway, glad to have found this thread.