Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Weirdness

Hey Junebugs!

I was banded June 11th. Surgery went well, no complications. Healed up nicely. Barely even notice my port anymore. I still feel some restriction, though I do occasionally get crazy hungry. My first fill is scheduled for the 9th.

Here's the thing though: I take Metformin for insulin resistance. Okay, well I'm SUPPOSED to take Metformin. I haven't actually taken it since the surgery cause those pills are bigger than a baby's head and I'm a little scared they're going to get stuck, even when cut in half. Lately, I've noticed it seems like my blood sugar just spikes the hell out when I eat. I didn't really have a problem with this before. I never had to regularly check my blood sugar or anything. But since the surgery I have had times where I literally cannot hold my head up, I'm so tired after eating. Happened today. I had a *very* light lunch and still, immediately after, I got so tired I nearly fell asleep on my desk. I came home from work at 5 and slept until 8. I could barely make it home to my bed.

Is anyone else experiencing anything like this? Any idea what it could be? Do you think it could be related to the surgery or is it most likely from not taking my Metformin anymore? If so, why didn't it do that to me if I went off it a few times prior to surgery? (I'm horrible about taking pills. I forget a lot.)

Also, I'm having problems with the whole "little bit of food goes a long way" concept. I'm so used to making these epic meals and snack fests when I get hungry. I'm finding it hard to break the habit. I end up making or ordering or shopping for WAY more food than I can possibly handle. My schedule is often very chaotic and rather than going shopping way in advance, I sometimes find myself needing to eat with no food in sight. Then I have to run out and grab something because if I get too hungry I get the shakes. My eyes are literally bigger than my stomach. I end up eating a few bites and then I'm so full I can't even look at it anymore. Then I feel guilty and horrible that I threw away so much food.

How are you guys dealing with this? Are you finding it tough to break the habit of making/ buying/ordering a lot of food, thinking that was going to be necessary to fill you up? What tricks have you tried that have worked for you?

I know I should just order or buy a little bit and then if I'm still hungry I can get more, but at the time, when I am buying it, I find that I'm hungry and therefore, hungry = lots o' food. So I buy it and there I go again, vicious circle. Any ideas?

Thanks, guys and gals!

Edited by Amisha

I also take Metformin. I haven't had a problem yet with my halves going down, but I haven't been filled yet either! I have a pill crusher, but yuck, those things are bitter. I don't always remember to take my evening one, but whenever I check my blood levels they are right where they need to be. I would definately call your PCP and see what he says.

I was a grazer before. I'd walk past the kitchen and grab chips or almonds or Cookies. It's been tough, but I've really had to be strong. My new "craving" is cottage cheese. I would have laughed in your face and smacked you with a slice of pizza if you had told me that two months ago.

You need to go shopping and have quality stuff on hand. I have so much Soup, sugar free pudding and Jello and yogurt around that I'm not having to worry when I really really feel the need to have something to eat.

I bought some little square sushi or dessert plates at Target for 99 cents each and those are my plates. I also bought a 6 pack of colorful, plastic baby spoons that actually look like toothbrush handles. It helps with the portions. Instead of moaning over the amount of food I'm missing out on I look at the plate and say "Hey, look how little satisfies me!" (EVEN if I DON'T feel that way!)

I used to keep a healthy snack around at all times. Usually, almonds in my purse. They don't go bad or get smushed and they take the edge off. I get the shakes too when I get too hungry and once that happens I am out of control and must eat immediately. Maybe a little snack before you are starving would help you buy/order less by giving you more control.

Thanks, but I think I figured out the problem. I started my period today. Ugh! it hurts like walking on glass doused in gasoline and lit on fire!

Has anyone else from the June lineup had their period yet and if so, was it bad? I have some serious pain in my lower right abdomen. I'm guessing maybe it's my ovaries, since I have PCOS, but it feels WAY more intense than it usually does. Holy hell, I don't know if I can handle this.

I started my period THE DAY OF SURGERY. Right before I went to the hospital. :w00t:It was a doozey. Cramps and abdominal pain. So fun!

Hi, I too take Metformin but the XL which isn't supposed to be crushed. I now take 2 regular Metformin and it's awfully bitter. It's so important to take your meds and I bet that's why you feel crummy. Without the metformin your sugar is probably going way up and that's why you're so tired. When it spikes from eating and then eventually goes down it's exhausting not to mention may be causing damage. Soon you'll be off it but in the meantime, crush your pills and take it with apple sauce it covers the bitterness.

I bet you'll be off it in no time.