Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

July Butterflies Master Thread

You GO GIRL!

Hang in there!!!!!!!!!!

Hi to all you Butterflies,

I just located all of you. I was banded July 14, 2008 and I am trying desparately to lose some of this weight. I am sad to report that I haven't been giving it my all. I have had two fills and although they do cause me some problems at times, I am not getting the feeling of being full. I usually have a Protein Shake in the morning and then a meal in the evening. The evening meal is not being regulated strictly, for example tonight, I had grilled chicken and steamed cauliflower (nothing on either with the exception of salt). Just shortly after I began eating, I started getting the pain in my chest and had to take a Tums, which alleviated the problem after awhile. I later returned and ate just the cauliflower...my puppy ate the chicken. There are times when I can really put some food away, I could eat an entire sandwhich and salad and not feel stuffed. I am not losing much weight now. I am unable to do much exercise because of injury to my foot and due to neuropathy problems. I do take Water aeorobic exercise twice a week though and do upper body exercise. I am 64 years old and although I am not losing a great deal, I am losing a few pounds each month. Does it ever improve? Does anyone know? I am hoping that with enough weight loss, my foot problem will improve (not the neuropathy...that is unfortunately permanent) and I will be able to exercise more. Well I feel better just sharing this with someone and look forward to checking in with you all from time to time. Jodi

Hi to all you Butterflies,

I just located all of you. I was banded July 14, 2008 and I am trying desparately to lose some of this weight. I am sad to report that I haven't been giving it my all. I have had two fills and although they do cause me some problems at times, I am not getting the feeling of being full. I usually have a Protein Shake in the morning and then a meal in the evening. The evening meal is not being regulated strictly, for example tonight, I had grilled chicken and steamed cauliflower (nothing on either with the exception of salt). Just shortly after I began eating, I started getting the pain in my chest and had to take a Tums, which alleviated the problem after awhile. I later returned and ate just the cauliflower...my puppy ate the chicken. There are times when I can really put some food away, I could eat an entire sandwhich and salad and not feel stuffed. I am not losing much weight now. I am unable to do much exercise because of injury to my foot and due to neuropathy problems. I do take Water aeorobic exercise twice a week though and do upper body exercise. I am 64 years old and although I am not losing a great deal, I am losing a few pounds each month. Does it ever improve? Does anyone know? I am hoping that with enough weight loss, my foot problem will improve (not the neuropathy...that is unfortunately permanent) and I will be able to exercise more. Well I feel better just sharing this with someone and look forward to checking in with you all from time to time. Jodi

All I can say is welcome! We are all on this journey. We all struggle. I do best when I journal everything that goes in my mouth. I try not to go over 1200cal a day. Sometimes I go over, and sometimes it is less. I try to eat 60g of Protein a day, and drink at least 48oz of liquid a day. My weight is not going down as fast as I thought it would, but each ounce is one I don't ever want to see again. Most of us started this journey because of health issues. Yours seems to be more painful than most, but hang in there.....you have a tool to help you reach a goal that would have been impossible without the band. We are here for support.:tongue2:

Hi all! I finally had my first official fill this past Wednesday day (the other was during surgery) and my first official episode of being stuck yesterday. And to think, I thought the fill did nothing:tongue2:. Thankfully the pain was gone in about 10 minutes, but it definitely told me to slow down and take smaller bites.

I also posted a fun thread if anyone is interested in taking part http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f182/what-have-you-lost-77783/

My weight loss is slow as well. I was banded just 2 days after you and I feel like of all the July Butterflies, I've lost the least but I keep reminding myself that I need to quite comparing myself to others and focus on what I need to do. As for feeling full, I don't think you are ever going to feel full nor should that be the goal. My understanding is that you are to no longer feel hungry. Satiety is not the same as full. By the time you feel full, you have overeaten. I am scheduled for my 4th fill next week because I am not at my sweet spot but I do have some restriction so the feeling I get now isn't a feeling of fullness as it is more a feeling of discomfort in my chest. When I start to feel discomfort (not quite stuck but close) then I know it's time to stop eating.

Edited by Dionna113
clarification

My weight loss is slow as well. I was banded just 2 days after you and I feel like of all the July Butterflies, I've lost the least but I keep reminding myself that I need to quite comparing myself to others and focus on what I need to do. As for feeling full, I don't think you are ever going to feel full nor should that be the goal. My understanding is that you are to no longer feel hungry. Satiety is not the same as full. By the time you feel full, you have overeaten. I am scheduled for my 4th fill next week because I am not at my sweet spot but I do have some restriction so the feeling I get now isn't a feeling of fullness as it is more a feeling of discomfort in my chest. When I start to feel discomfort (not quite stuck but close) then I know it's time to stop eating.

Dionna, if you notice most of the July butterflies have more weight to lose than you do. I would trade places with you if I could.:wub: You are doing fine, and just look... you don't have too much more to go!!!!

Dionna, I've lost virtually nothing since surgery July 30. And I don't have the excuse of having less to lose than others! I lost 10 pounds and gained most of them back waiting for my much needed first fill las Wednesday. I am losing some now, though, and it feels good to be undoing the damage. I have several more pounds to go before my ticker isn't lying any more! LOL

This is a process, and one of the requisites seems to be patience. I guess we also need a little faith that this will work, and some kindness for ourselves as we learn the new band related skills and habits we need.

We can do this. It will take as long as it takes.

Well I have spent the last 30 or 40 minutes catching up and reading the posts for the last few weeks. I am in Pearland (just outside of Houston) and we were hit by hurricane Ike. We just got our phones (& internet) back last night!!:tt1: WooHoo!!

I spent the first week in Dallas with my sister-in-law and her parents and the next week back in Houston with my parents. None of them know about my surgery, and I did not want to check this site on someone else's computer, so I have really missed the support. I have to say I fell off the wagon for a while there. :) I used to use eating as an emotional release for stress (and everything else), and I fell back into my old patterns. I could not fully indulge, of course but I found many things that I could 'slip' past the band. Anything to keep myself from thinking about what was happening and the clean-up ahead.

I have been back home, and am slowly restocking the fridge, the good news is we had to throw away everything so I no longer have the 'temptations' waiting in the freezer "just in case". So this has helped me get back on track.

With only two fills, I am still eating more than I should and I feel like I am getting hungry sooner. Hopefully things will get back to normal soon. I think I am ready for my next fill, but I may have to wait a few months to get the $ to pay for it, since we have these other unexpected expenses come up.

I must say I have missed the support from everyone, I think it really helps to check in every couple days, even if I don't post anything. Keep up the good work butterflies! This is such an amazing journey.:laugh:

Well I have spent the last 30 or 40 minutes catching up and reading the posts for the last few weeks. I am in Pearland (just outside of Houston) and we were hit by hurricane Ike. We just got our phones (& internet) back last night!!:D WooHoo!!

I spent the first week in Dallas with my sister-in-law and her parents and the next week back in Houston with my parents. None of them know about my surgery, and I did not want to check this site on someone else's computer, so I have really missed the support. I have to say I fell off the wagon for a while there. :smile: I used to use eating as an emotional release for stress (and everything else), and I fell back into my old patterns. I could not fully indulge, of course but I found many things that I could 'slip' past the band. Anything to keep myself from thinking about what was happening and the clean-up ahead.

I have been back home, and am slowly restocking the fridge, the good news is we had to throw away everything so I no longer have the 'temptations' waiting in the freezer "just in case". So this has helped me get back on track.

With only two fills, I am still eating more than I should and I feel like I am getting hungry sooner. Hopefully things will get back to normal soon. I think I am ready for my next fill, but I may have to wait a few months to get the $ to pay for it, since we have these other unexpected expenses come up.

I must say I have missed the support from everyone, I think it really helps to check in every couple days, even if I don't post anything. Keep up the good work butterflies! This is such an amazing journey.:mad2:

I am in Pearland too. I live off of 518 near Old Manvel Rd. If you want to talk....PM me and I will give you my email and number. We are all in the same boat. I can relate to what you and our area has gone through. It's enough to make an anorexic eat. Don't beat yourself up. Just remember, everyday is a new day and a new beginning.:sad_smile:

Alright Ladies, Are any of you having this problem? I'm losing the weight in my breast that I can't afford because I had a breast reduction a while back and in my already non existant(sp?) butt. which is making my stomach look bigger(also had tt a few years ago)so it's not like it was a big old beer belly or anything. but it's starting to look like it. and i'm having a hard time finding clothes for the office that look good.

Edited by kimaly

Alright Ladies, Are any of you having this problem? I'm losing the weight in my breast that I can't afford because I had a breast reduction a while back and in my already non existant(sp?) butt. which is making my stomach look bigger(also had tt a few years ago)so it's not like it was a big old beer belly or anything. but it's starting to look like it. and i'm having a hard time finding clothes for the office that look good.

Just wait till you get my age, everything goes south. For right now I am glad I am losing in my chest.....I can breathe alot better. Your right though, the only thing getting bigger is my stomach below my waist. YUK!:biggrin:

It's not getting bigger, the rest of you is getting smaller and it's just going to take a little longer for other parts to catch up. Thank God for plastic surgeons... if all else fails, when you reach goal, there's always the nip/tuck option.:biggrin:

Oh yeah...from past experience, I always lose my boobs first. I end up looking disproportionate! I was just Maid-of-honor in my sister's wedding; which, from the mirror, I thought the dress held everything in okay. Then I saw the pictures, and oh God, my stomach looked pregnant!!! All that we can hope for is that this balances itself out after more weight loss, and at least we are getting healthier. For now, it'll have to be Spanx, girdles and black/dark clothing.:lol::biggrin:

I know what you're talking about in losing in the boobs. I shopped for a bra yesterday. Depressing. :biggrin: A "B" cup is to small and a "C" cup puckers. What's a girl to do? I haven't lost as much in my rear as I hoped I would, but heck, it's only been since July 24th and it took me years to get this way. Haven't been able to exercise like I should, the last vertebra in my back is side ways and causes pain in the nerves in my back & legs. It's better than before I had LB but I'm going for a pain shot tomorrow. We just need to hang in there.

I had my first expereince Slime "ing" and vomitting!! I have been able to eat just about anything up until now. I ran 3.5 miles this am and had a Protein Drink for Breakfast. I did have an adjustment last week -

I tried to eat some toasted bread at lunch!! Holy crap! that was not fun and will not do it again. Lessons learned! I was told to not eat bread - but I had to try it. (typical me)

The slime thing was rough too. The whole ordeal lasted about 45 minutes. Don't go there if you can avoid it.

NO MORE BREAD for me.