Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couch to 5k.....come join me!!

Georgia... way to go! Funny, you feared running on the treadmill and I fear running outside! Probably the same root reason though. My treadmill is in my home, so it's private. I fear running outside where everyone will see me. I also think it will be harder outside. But, I'm going to give it a try once I'm comfortably in week 5, and running at least 5 min.

Don't worry about your speed. I walk at 3.5 mph and run at 4.5 mph. I tried once to run faster, but couldn't. Speed will come when we're ready! My DH told me the other day that my 4.5 speed was harder and more impressive than his 6.5 mph, because he would never be able to run even 4.5 carrying 50lb weights (he weighs 50lbs less than me)... so I should be proud I could. As weird as that sounds... he's right and I felt so much better.

Oh I forgot to mention... I was saying to my DH last night that when I have lost most of my weight, I would probably have a lot of loose excess skin in my lower belly area. He said to me, "will you need a Tummy Tuck? " in such a matter of fact sort of way that it shocked me. In a million years I would never have thought he would even entertain such a thing. He is such a worrier, that I would have thought that would send him over the edge. My response was that I wasn't sure if I would or if I would just live with it. He then went on to ask how much it would cost and if our insurance would cover it. So... with that conversation started, I guess if I want to have that in the future... he's on board!

Honestly, I never would have considered it because of his worrying. Now, its a possible option. I don't really have much excess there yet, but I can tell that it won't all shrink back, and I'll have some flabby stuff. So, time and weight will tell.

I am really looking forward to having a Tummy Tuck. I think I would look pretty thin now if it werent' for the "flap on my lap". At 150 we will begin looking into in much more closely. DH is completely on board.

I don't think it matters at all how fast you run. Just runing in key!!

Everyone is doing SOO well!!!!

Mamato, Where are you??????

Thanks Kathy! That is funny. I guess it didn't bother me running outside because I ran at a local elementary school and no one was ever there, mainly because it's summer and I typically run late in the evening. If I am being totally honest, it is harder to run outside, for me anyway. Probably because the ground is unlevel and there are hills and such. I will probably still run outside a good bit, but I won't be afraid to do it at the gym if I can't do it outside anymore.

I am noticing that my left knee is bothering me just a little. I bought a knee stabilizer tonight, so I'm hoping that will help. It would crush me if I had to stop jogging. I'm loving it and it's been a long time since I have really enjoyed being active.

I wonder if the treadmill would be better on the knees????

Renewed~ Girl, your message box is full. I tried to send you a PM and it wouldn't go through, lol. Mine is actually getting pretty close to being full again too. Guess I need to delete too....

OK fellow 5K "ers" I am going to RUN the Reindeer Run in November. Last year I walked most of it. You have all inspired me. I am about 3 weeks post banded. I am beyond feeling fabulous. I am going to stat the Podrunner over strting with week one on Sunday. Wish me luck! If it is too easy - I will move on to week 2.

I have lost about 19 pounds. While on vacation. I carried my grandson around on the beach for a long walk. He weighes 23 pounds. Wow, it is amazing how harder it was to carry that weight.

For those of you who have lost 30 40 50 plus pounds - way to go. You must feel so much better.

Did you see that commercial that says if you loss 5 pounds ; it takes like 15 pounds of pressure off of your knees.(I can't remember the exact amount, but it was alot)

Bonnie - thanks for starting this thread - you have changed a lot of lives with this podrunner idea. Good job friend.

lyn--correction--renewed started this thread, but I would gladly take credit for it...its been amazing!:lol: Just kidding but BIG thanks to renewed! I have never felt such support for anything in my life like I do here. I think this and the low-carb thread has really changed my life. This is what I needed! Support! All of the other failed attempts to lose weight I was missing this. This time I have a new attitude and Imnot just doing it by willpower alone. This is the first time I am losing weight without the anger that I have had in the past, or the jealousy, or the desperation. I am doing it all on my own terms and doing it because I WANT to, not because I have to. Which brings me to another topic...

I was talking with my best friend whose sister just had RnY. My bff is like a sister to me. She is seriously my bff soulmate. We have a connection like I have never seen. She said she will be totally supportive if I get the lap-band, but we got to talking and was saying what would happen if I DID NOT get the band. How will I feel if my denial letter or call comes. She has noticed a different attitude with this time I am losing weight. She said its like I finally am losing for the right reasons. I have been very successful so far and she has seen me lose weight a million times, but she and I both feel that this time its different. This time its forever. I will not be crushed if I get denied the band. Like everyone said, the band is just a tool. I feel like this support group is the biggest tool I have ever had in my life (an no...Im not calling you a bunch of tools! :wink2:) I just hope that if I am denied a lapband that you guys will still accept me here on this thread and lowcarb thread. I need you guys in my life! Seems like I can't get through the day without checkin in atleast 3 times a day! I have a feeling the band will be denied through my insurance because I need a bmi of 40 for the last 5 years and I haven't had that. Its dipped below a few times. At first I was desperate for the band, but as the weight comes off, I think less and less about getting it. Anyway, thos are some random thoughts I am having this morning.

Oh as far as Tummy Tuck, I already know I will need one and I know dh will pay for one. I always watch tummy tuck and breast implants surgeries on tv and one day my husband was watching with me and he said "I wonder what a tummy tuck costs?" and I told him. I told him that I want one (what I meant was I will need one) and he was ready to sign me up! I had to explain to him that I needed to lose 100 pounds first and THEN I get a tummy tuck. It was pretty funny. He thought they could just suck ALL this fat out of my stomach (seriously like 40 pounds of fat in my stomach alone!) and then just cut off all the extra skin. I wish it was that easy! haha!

Lyn~ Congrats on the 5K!! The one Leslie and I are running is in November too! Good luck with your first run since surgery. I think you are going about it the right way by starting slow.

Bonnie~ Of course you would still be accepted here! You are a wonderful asset to this thread and to LBT! The important thing is that you are happy and doing what is right for you. You are always welcome here girlie!

Bonnie, Of course you are always welcome here!!!!! We would miss you very much if you weren't here. You are right, this is a wonderful group we have here. Georgia and I have tried several times to get some accountability groups started, and I think this is one of the best!!! I hope we continue to keep it going after we are all up and running our 5k's. It will be sooner than we think!!

I did week 6 day 1 today. I expected it to be pretty easy after running 20 minutes on Friday. WRONG!! It was really hard to run today. I don't know if there was less momentum or what. I kinda liked the one running segment. I think it's hard to slow down and speed up. It seems to mess with my momentum. However, I think we burn more fat with the interval running. Either way I am really starting to like running!!

Georgia, I cleaned out my box so PM away my friend!!

Guest Leslie2Lose

Hi guys! girls! Guess who showed up yesterday at the gym? And BEFORE me. I walked in with my headphones and music jamming and he was sweating...awwww! I was surprised. Of course my MP3 player's battery stopped while I was running. It was so hard to finish. I was just so tired last night. I don't know why. I felt drained all day. Maybe I'm not getting enough rest?

Georgia. Have you injured your knee? or did it just start bothering you all of a sudden? I don't know if I could run outside yet. The humidity and heat would drain me. When I started I worried too about people watching me as a jogged. Most people (a.k.a. women) that jog there are about 100 pounds soaking wet and don't even break a sweat. I noticed they aren't even watching me. Now If I pounded my feet and tied my shoes every five minutes I might draw attention to myself. Bonnie - I echo what everyone else said - you're always welcome! I'm a newbie here myself and know I couldn't do any of this without you guys.

Well - I'm off to primp. DH and I have a date night. I went and tried on blue jeans. I only own one pair that fit. I can't get over not shopping in the women's section. I grabbed some Gloria Vanderbelt, Lees and Levis. All were too big...I scooted over to the Misses section and tried the 18's (too big) and then 16's...They FIT. Even the Levis. I haven't worn those since college (they were my staple). I ended up buying a pair of Lees. I was surprised! I used to hate the way they fit my body (even thin). I think they have redesigned them. Well off to shower, shave and lotion up. The kids are going to MIL for the night so I may be logging some extra exercise to dailyplate tonight ((wink)).

Leslie... glad to hear your DH went to the gym.. that's a great first step. Enjoy that exercise tonight!!!

I had so many errands to run this morning that I didn't get my run in. Now its almost 6pm and we're off to a festival. So I'm going to have to do my run this evening (late) after eating BBQ food at the Rib Fest. Not the best plan, but I'm not going to skip today!

Bonnie... of course you're welcome regardless of your choice. I hope you get approved. Yes it is a tool, but I can honestly say it has saved my life. I've been banded for a year now, have lost 70lbs and am still losing. I don't remember the last time I actually stuck with a diet for more than a year. Usually the weight would start to come back on (and quickly). Also, during that year I've suffered many personal struggles and my band saved me from stress eating myself out of the diet. Just my perspective! But then again, I didn't have a choice. In Canada we have to pay, no insurance covers the lapband, just the gastric bypass.

I was two weeks post op and read this thread. I was inspired. I ran cross country in high school. This however stopped in the late fall of 1984. I have not ran more than a mile since then. I started walking 3 miles per day with my husband and after I read these comments, I went for a walk and said "what the heck, let's run". We took off and I did not stop until we finished 3 miles. I was two and a half weeeks out. I was only 15 minutes off my best time ever. I know that is almost twice what I used to do, but now that you have inspired me to show that I can do it, I now need to prove I can do better. I turn 41 next week and I wanted to be under 200 lbs and run a 5k in 36 minutes...only 10 minutes slower than high school. Thank you guys.

MSG - Girl you have showed us up. I'm glad that you have rediscovered running.

Leslie - Size 16 - Yahoooooo!!!!!

Bonnie - You are a permanent member here as far as I am concerened.

Well, my family had a "big adventure" today. It rained all morning, so we made a "Plan B" for this afternoon if it continued to rain. "Plan A" was to go to the Jefferson National Forest and Walk up to the Cascades - a 4 mile round trip to see a 66 foot Water fall in the mountains of Virginia. Well, the afternoon cleared up, so we headed to the Cascades. I was looking forward to the walk. I knew it would be rough because it was hilly and steep. Well, we had been walking for quite a while, and I was sort of proud of myself. I was getting tired and I thought we should almost be there. HA! My son says "Mom, we are not even a mile up yet, Dad and I read the map at the visitors center at the bottom of the hill. We have to get to the second bridge before it is a mile." You could imagine the disappointment on my face, I really thought we were almost there. Well we keep going. I am was determined to do it even if I died on the way. (much steeper than I thought) We kept walking for a little while then, Mother Nature shows herself as a fierce Thunderstorm. It was pouring the rain and it even started to hail. My son was freezing and they decided to turn back. I was cold too, but I wanted to on, but it was raining so hard we could barely see in front of us. We ended up going back down the trail. ugh!!! We walked for awhile, then the rain (of course) let up. So, I decided to make the best of it and started running down the trail. I ran most of the way back. We looked like drenched rats (and felt like them too) So, even though we did not see the big waterfall, I was proud of how I did and that I even took off running. Maybe next time.

Hey everyone. I wasn't able to attempt my 20 minute run (day 3 of week 5) until today. I was not able to make it. Not even close. I hate to sound like a whiner, but I am so SOOOOOO disappointed in myself. I was really hoping I would be able to do it. At about 10 minutes the left side of my abdomen started to cramp up. I kept going and then about a minute later the right side started. I only ran 12 minutes before I had to walk. I walked for 2 minutes and the cramping started to ease up so I jogged again. Only made it for 3 more minutes and I was in such pain I had to get off the treadmill. I feel like a complete failure right now. I didn't even want to get on here tonight and that NEVER happens!

So I have a couple of questions......

1. Do you think lack of fluids in my system or limited food intake earlier in the day affected me? I hadn't had a whole lot to drink all day cause I was just busy. I had 1/2 cup of Kashi go lean Cereal with 1/2 cup of skim milk and 1/2 nectarine for Breakfast. Tried to eat a salad with chicken at lunch time and slimed so I stopped. Maybe I didn't have enough food to run when I went at 4pm? I dunno... I'm just trying to figure out how I can do this.

2. Do you think it would hurt me if I tried again tomorrow? I really don't want to wait! I HAVE to do this!

Now to try to catch up with everyone...

Sugarbean - your adventure sounds like so much fun! I have avoided even trying things like that for so long because of being obese. Now I would love to try it!

MSG - congrats on your running success! I'm totally envious.

Kathy - how exciting that your DH is supportive for the Tummy Tuck. I will probably never be able to have one unless I win the lotto! hahah

Leslie - How wonderful that DH showed up at the gym! You must be thrilled. I hope you have fun on your date and your after dinner activities *wink*.

Renewed - You are leaving me in the dust! I think I am opposite of you... I rely on the walk intervals to catch my breath. I still can't figure out how you did the 20 minutes.... I need tips!

Georgia - I hope your knee feels better!

Bonnie - I hope you never leave us, banded or not! You are doing great and your are a great support.

Ok, that was long! Sorry you all... I need to get on more often I guess.

Georgia. Have you injured your knee? or did it just start bothering you all of a sudden?

I noticed Wednesday, after my run, that it felt a little funny. I didn't really think much about it, but the next day it was still bothering me. I ran again on Friday and it's still kinda acting up. It almost feels like it has a catch in it when I turn it a certain way. It kinda feels stiff if it stays in one place for very long too. I bought a knee support band, so hopefully that will help.

Have any of you had any knee problems since starting? I'm definitely worried about it. I love my runs and I would be so upset if a knee injury kept me from running. I finally found something I really enjoy.

Whosya~ you've been running a while. Have you had any knee problems since starting???

Mamato3~ ((Hugs)). Please don't feel like a failure. My very first run (day 1 week 1) I only lasted 12 minutes! Please don't be too hard on yourself. You have done such a wonderful job and you have definitely inspired me. It very well could have had something to do with not drinking enough or not having enough food to fuel you. I've never experienced that so I don't really know what to tell you. My advice to you would be to take it slow. Build up to the 20 minutes gradually, if that's what you need to do. I'm sure I will have to. Heck, I had to build up just to be able to do day 1, lol. Seriously, you are an inspiration to us all! Especially to us newbie runners!

Mamato - you are a success!!! You ran for 12 minutes straight! That's 4 min. longer than the earlier runs in week 5, so that's a huge advance. It's also 12 min longer than you did 5 weeks ago!!! You probably shouldn't run tomorrow... give yourself the rest day to recoup, then go back over the week, working up to a longer run again.

I didn't run today. We didn't get home until 10:30, and there is no way I'm going to run this late at night. Plus, I'm exhausted. So, I'll run tomorrow :) instead. Lesson learned... run earlier so it doesn't get missed.