Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couch to 5k.....come join me!!

Thanks Tkl. Ouch $50 for a month supply! Is it all that expensive? If so, I'll have to suffer a while longer. ha ha

Thanks Tkl. Ouch $50 for a month supply! Is it all that expensive? If so, I'll have to suffer a while longer. ha ha

I'm not really sure if they have different costs, etc, as I havent really looked at it much. I know that my Dad says it's worth it, but i'm like you, it'd have to REALLY be worth it for me to be able to afford that each month!

Well, I have recommited to running, got a bit lazy there for awhile! I started off this morning with a 2 mile run, my iPod was out of batter charge so I ran without. I almost used it as an excuse not to go. Second thought was that I don't run with it during races, so I was pretty sure I could do the 2 miles without it and guess what, I did!

thanks kathy and suzanne for the encouragement! this running thing is getting really addicting. now that i know i can run a mile in 10 minutes, i am slowly trying to push that distance up. its a lot harder than it sounded! even if i walk a lap after the first mile, my leg muscles are soo tired once i start running again and so far i havent been able to get past 1.3 miles. but its still progress! im especially proud because i am doing this on top of my normal weight training schedule. the old jane would never be this athletic! i'd be looking at the current me in the gym and calling her crazy... just as im sure all of you would with YOUR old selves.

today i ran that first mile in 9 minutes 50 seconds... so i'm shaving down my time, piece by piece! anyone have tips on raising my endurance so i can run longer than a mile at a time? or should i just keep at it slowly like i've been doing?

thanks all! maybe one day i'll be running 20K like KATHY and doing 8 workouts a week like MAC! geez you guys are running circles around this here 21-year-old! thanks for the inspiration!

For me, I worked on endurance first, so I ran slower but for longer distance. I would think it works out either way, except if you are going for cardio fitness, the longer time is better for you than the short burst.

Having said that, I'll defer to the real experts on here: Mac, Kathy, et al?

I think the best is to do both. Mix up some interval training with some endurance work. The intervals make you faster so you get more distance in in the same amount of time and the endurance work increases your engine so you can go for longer periods of time.

i wanna join! running hummm havent tried that yet however im up to 3.2 on the treadmill i guess i can try...I'm 29 pounds away from weight goal the plan is to get there by christmas

Hi All... I've been out of town for a few days, so am just getting caught up.

Jane... I agree with Mac, mix it up and work on both. For the endourance part, use the outline of the couch to 5k program. It lists how long to run, how long to walk. This will help you build the endourance. Maybe do this 2x week and the speed run once or twice. You can find the outline on the link I gave a few pages ago.

I slacked off while I was away, so have some running and strength training to catch up on!

Im going to do this! Ive been doing the elliptical and am looking for something else to help. Ive never ran in my life but Im going to make this happen!!!! :blushing:

I finally have the $ together to buy running shoes and "support" I am hoping to get them this weekend and then start the program *gulp* still a little nervous. Running has always been uncomfortable. Not just the out of shape part just things always seem to hurt. I'm hoping with proper equipment I can adjust.

minxz - im with u on the issue of saving for shoes. GOOD shoes are the only expense you NEED to figure in. thats what drew me to walking then running. (orthotics too if u need them) its the only investment and so far its made a world of difference for me...

as for the out of shape stuff, if I can start running at my age and lack of shape then almost anyone can. i hated HATED sweating and was anti exercise b4 my band. then i made a half-hearted attempt for a while walking. something clicked for me and im at a point now where i dont say i "have to" exercize... i say to myself..."i get to go for a run." slight shift in attitude...

Mac and Kathy - can either of u explain to me what i should do when i go back to use the intervals for building speed? im on week 9, ran 35 mins on monday, and got a fill yesterday. being on mushies and all im not in a running mood energy-wise. planning on it tomorrow but today my knees still r giving me he** today. doing advil & icy hot to get them back in control so i have time tonite to think of strategies to get better by next month and my 5k. anyway do i go back to week 1 and work on speed? a different week? not sure how that works best.

well TC

Carol

Btw, I run 3x a week and this is what I do:

1) Speed work -- intervals at various intensities and distances.

2) Tempo run - this is a shorter run done fast

3) Long run - longer run done slower

I'm training for a half-marathon and I think my marathon pace will be 11 min per mile. So my tempo run is done at 10:30 pace and my long run is done at 11:30 pace.

The speed work I do with a coach and I just do what she tells us to do. This week we did 1600 T pace, 200 R pace as many times as we could fit in but sometimes we do farklets or ladders or other workouts.

I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wink: I actually did it....it was hard but I got thru the 1st day of the program....I was exausted afterwards :tongue_smilie:but felt so much better!!! today is day 2!!!

Woo Hoo CONGRATS Mary. welcome!

Im hoping for my run tonite. weather permitting cuz i'm gonna be busy tomorrow and saturday nites. whew im gonna be exhausted by sunday. lol

tc all

Carol

yay mary keep going! I'm new to the "program" too in a sense, as in I just started running. But I'm not using the official C25K playlist (can't stand the music) and just doing a similar workout to increase the endurance.

by the way, for all you guys who gave me the advice, my endurance HAS been increasing this week! stopped trying to just run fast straight through for now, and I am now at 2 miles with a run/walk interval... and with that I am doing it at about a 12:30 minute mile... so not bad, eh?

im noticing increases a lot more in my weight lifting too. so woohoo!

i go to the gym at my university, and its funny how gender segregated it is there. there are three places i could possibly lift weights there-- "the pump room" which is pretty much JUST big buff burly men. (how i wish i could go work out down there.... if not just for the eye candy... but even a lot of guys i know won't go down there because THEY are too intimidated!) then there is the regular workout area, but the weights zone is DOMINATED by men. i seriously only see one or two girls there, if any, when i'm at the gym. the girls use the weights in "the quiet zone" -- the music/talking-free zone.. i think its funny that women would choose that area! i usually just worked out there, because in the other place... the guys either look at you like you are invading their space or are a piece of meat! but the quiet zone girls lift those tiny little 3-5lb weights.. ridiculous! sooo..... i decided to just say screw it and im working out right by the boys. they still act the same, but i work out harder in there, and thats all i care about. today, some guy was looking at me (couldnt decide if it was the "get out of here" look or the "check out her ass" look.. ha) but i quickly showed HIM when I went on a machine after him and upped the weight.

felt soooo good! and NOW i am finishing up these workouts with a run, too?!?! i must be losing my mind....

oh yeah and i "ran" into a friend while jogging home after my workout... she didnt even recognize me!