Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thinking of cancelling surgery

Noahsmomm - it is good that you are doing your research. I did mine and for some reason felt the fear you are feeling, but after I got my surgery! I have to admit that I still do have some fears, but the longer out I get, the easier it gets.

I have been most afraid of not being able to live in a way that feels "normal" to me. I can not imagine living with PBing, sliming, and vomiting. I also have to admit that I still think about the what ifs of slippage and other impacts of having something inside.

That said, however, I can tell you a little about my journey so far. I have really taken a few things that our staff has said to heart. They will always make a point to tell us that "restriction" and being too tight are not the point of the band. It is really there to help us feel satisfied and think less about food between meals. We should not have pain with eating and should be able to eat most things normally (although smaller bites, chewing more, and smaller portions).

There are so many things that we have to do to make this work. I want to make sure I take care of my total health in addition to losing weight. For me that means not having reflux or vomiting. It means feeling like I can eat healthy foods.

And for now it also means that I have only tried a fill of 0.3 cc in my 10cc band (other than the small amount put in at the time of surgery). I have been at this for several months. And I am still hungry between meals - but I surprised at how full I can get on 1 slice of very thin pizza. I do try to really eat mindfully and enjoy what I am eating. I do not want to fill to the point where I do PB and slime - I am just too afraid of living like that. But I think you can learn to eat and work with your band without that being a part of your daily life as well.

So far I have been able to lose 40 pounds in the 3 months I have had the band. I know I am not nearly as experienced as so many others here, but I certainly feels like I have been thinking about this process non-stop for so long. I know there will be a point soon where I will have to decide on trying to use the band more effectively. I do believe there is a way to work with it without dealing pushing it to extremes.

Good luck to you with whatever you decide!

My wife and I were banded one after the other on 9/12/07. She had wanted to get banded way before I was comfortable with the idea of surgery.

My problem was that I could stick with a diet for six month but then gain it all back and more in three months.

I had no idea how much i actually weight was because our home scale would only go to 300. I use 317 as my highest before weight because that was the highest weight at one my doctors appointment.

I had diabetes, sleep apnea, a BMI approaching 50, My back hurt so bad at times I couldn't move. My knees and feet hurt all the time as well. When I had a cut it would take forever to heal. Getting off the couch was an adventure. every time I put on socks I would run out of air. Walking up one flight of stairs would make me gasp and almost turn blue. When I took an airplane trip I always had to have an extension.

Even with all the problems above I was ready for the surgery but still scare to follow through with the actual surgery. Both my wife and I had a great deal of anxiety but I fell that it was the best decision of my life.

I have lost 108 lbs since beginning the journey toward being banded and 76 lbs since being banded with 39 lbs to go. My BMI has gone from 49.6 to 32.7. I have gone from wearing size 19 to size 15 1/2 shirts. I have gone from wearing 56 trousers to 38 trousers.

I have not used a cpap machine in 4 months and I have no need for diabetic medicine for the last two months. I walk an average of 25 miles a week and can walk up 4 flights of stairs with very little effort. The last time I was on an airplane I actually had to tighten the lap belt and no extension was necessary.

When I do not follow the plan and chew and chew my food I will get stuck and on extreme rare occasion will PB.

Though it is totally up to you to get the surgery or not. I just wanted to let you know that getting the band was the best decision that I could ever make for me and my family. Having my wife also banded helps since we can support each other.

Today is my 8 month anniversary and I have no regrets. I think that everything that you are feeling is normal. I was right there. Just a few days before surgery, I wasn't convinced that I was going to actually be able to make myself walk through the front door the hospital. I'm so glad I did. Had a docs appointment today and I'm down another 6 pounds. It feels so good! A lot of what you read is worst case scenario. Life is what you make of it. Go into this with a positive attitude and you will reap the rewards. I believe that in our hearts, we know if it's truly our time to go forward with the surgery. Take Care.

Bless you - I feel better already. I guess I need to LOOK for the good stuff in these posts. I am seeing too much negative and being doom and gloom - must be the liquid diet making me crazy,

Im having surgey this thursday and am having all the same feelings as you, but gues what??? we are gonna be fine! we will eat slowly,we will chew Wellll!!! we will use this tool to our advantage, we didnt come this far to say "never mind" my prayers are with you

I am the first one to admit that this has been no picnic. There have been good days and some very bad days, but it is so so so worth it. The good days greatly outnumber the bad and keep in mind how many bad days you will have if you cancel. I had done all kinds of research as well and I got a little freaked right before, it is normal. You will be fine, hang in there!

I LOVE MY Band and to be honest at first I did not see quick result in fact the weight loss is very slow at first Today I am 199 and my diabetes is gone and it was a tool I needed to conquer hunger Day of surgery I was 250, today I am 199 Did I make the right chocie hell yes and all the problems with vomiting etc fills etc was no big deal ..not like u have the flu kinda vomiting more like a spit up Being morbid obese was the big deal I would never have lost the weight DIET control alone and with out the tool in place. I would still be obese, If u have a wonderful support group in place u will do fine but it is out nature to complain. Losing weight is not easy this is really a tool not a cure. I choose to live a better life w/o obesity and diabetes and thinking I can do weight watches and lose is only lying to my myself if that was the case I would not have been 263 lbs day of consult. hope for the best and good luck on your decision ALL OTHER DIETS FAILED ME THIS ONE WORKED!!!

Lisa

Edited by Lisa_butterfly
T

I'm new to this, and I'm trying to learn as much as I can. I have my appointment to talk to my family doctor about the band on Wednsday. Please explain what are PBing and slimming? I think I have heard of most of the rest of this. These forums are SO helpful!

I am scheduled for surgery on Friday. I have wanted this so badly for over a year - never questioned the logic for doing so and couldn't wait to get banded. Then - I spend HOURS on this forum and all I see is the bad stuff.

PBing, sliming, vomiting, slippage, weight gain, slow process, have to be committed, severe incision pain, gas killing me, starving, hungry, port problems, taking forever to hit the sweet spont, nauseous, etc.

It is making me think - THIS IS CRAZY! I feel like I should cancel the whole thing and try one more time on my own, even though I know it won't work. I am scared to death now and I have had all kinds of surgeries and a child and blah, blah, blah and YES - I WANT TO LIVE - but comfortably - not in constant pain and puking day in and day out....am I missing the picture here??? Are we all brainwashed into thinking we have to do something this drastic?

noahsmomm,

I am glad to hear that you are having second thoughts and apprehension about your surgery. I would be concerned if you didn't. Like anything to do with medicine you have to be told all the bad things that can happen even if the chance is miniscule. I was scared to death before mine and also had second thoughts. I am a week out now. Yes I did have a little incision pain, nothing that the pain medicine could not take care of. I had no shoulder pain at all which suprised me since I have had laparoscopy's before and know what shoulder pain feels like. I guess it is kinda like having a baby yes there is some pain with it and maybe some problems that go along with it, but it is definately worth it in the end. I am happy with my decision but remember it is your decision and you have to do what is right for you. By the way I lost 15 lbs this week. I know that will not continue, but it is definately a motivator. besides I am under 300 to me that is wonderful and a great start.

Good luck with your decision and let us know how it goes.

Marvie

you are smart to think about what you are about to do. it isn't easy everyone thinks it's going to be so easy even though we tell our drs. & everone else that we don't think it's a miracle surgery deep down thats what we are really hoping for.this surgery is not the solution it really is just another weight lose tool.if you can HONESTLY know that this is the truth then i say go for it but to think that it's going to be easy---well it's not.

Oh I so hope you don't cancel. Yes bad things can and do happen. That possible withany surgery. I have had some problems with my port but I still would di it again. I'm 2 months out, don't have a fill yet since my port was removed for a period of time. As for the pbing and sliming I never intend to get a fill that is that tight. If I do I will have some taken out. I perfer to make better choices in my lifestyle. This thing can't do all the work or really any of it. It's my job. I intend to lose the weight but I will only use the band as a tool and not a cure all because it isn't.

Good Luck to you in whatever decision you make but remember you weight will only negatively impact your life. At 53, always overweight. I know.

nevermind...found the info on pbing and slimming on another thread...thanks anyway

noahsmomm--

Brandy made a really good comment. People come on the board to talk about what they are worried about. Have you checked the poll on the board that ask people if it was worth it? Almost everyone says IT IS WORTH IT! When a bunch of women sit around talking about pregnancy and giving birth -- they pretty much moan and grown about all the things that were uncomfortable or painful etc etc. And then they turn around and have another baby so it must have been worth it --- right? I have been through some discomfort but it's gone. I may slime or PB someday --- but trust me---I will never give up my band. I have my life back. I feel 10 years younger and I still have another 56lbs to lose! I am sleeping better than I have in years. Almost all the body pain I had before I lost this weight is gone. I'm feeling so much hope for the future. I'm having a ball tossing all my clothes into the good will and parading around in size 12. For the first time in YEARS -- I just KNOW I will reach goal weight. There are few guarantees in life, including banding, but insanity is doing the something over and over and expecting different results. I KNEW that my trying to lose it on my own just one more time just wasn't working---and wasn't going to work. So I did something different. So far -- it's just amazing.

Noahsmom: I am praying for you. I am sorry you took away the negatives. I saw the negatives but I also saw all the positives. I was banded on June 6th. I had very little pain. Did not even take any of the pain med they sent me home with. I had no gas pains to speak of. The only problem I had and it wasn't really a problem was diarrhea. You think it's gas, but guess what, it's more than gas. You're gonna be home anyway. My belly itches and I've lost 16lbs. I think you are experiencing buyers remorse so to speak. I think you are making the right choice by being banded. We all support you and have your back kiddo. Contact me anytime you want. I'll be happy to talk to you.

God's Blessings

If you are having doubts, then don't have the surgery!

You should have been informed by now about the risks....and you must answer:

If my doc said my band could slip....would I still have the surgery?

If I ....your words.........

PBing, sliming, vomiting, slippage, weight gain, slow process, have to be committed, severe incision pain, gas killing me, starving, hungry, port problems, taking forever to hit the sweet spont, nauseous, etc

Do I still want the band?

If you answer NO...then don't have the surgery. Risks are an unkown...may happen or may not happen. But if you absolutely cannot handle anything you said..then don't do it.

Much like anything in life, some people's road is less bumpy than others. I was banded on 4/11 at a weight of 320lbs, began my pre-diet on 3/28 and in less than 3 months, I've lost 75lbs and weigh 245.

I haven't been hungry and my doctor recommended I not get a fill during my only fill visit because I'm losing almost a pound a day. It's fat loss because my I consistly lifting more weight during my workouts and building muscle. I haven't PBed or been stuck or found any foods that I have trouble eating.

For me, all of side effects and downside pales in comparsion to dying at an early age. Being morbidly obese and living to be 45 isn't near as appealing as PBing ever other day while being relatively healthy and living till your 70. This really rang true with me when I discussed the downside of lap-band with friend of mine confined to wheelchair...he said he would take all the side effects of lap-band while not lossing a single pound if it would make him walk again...kinda made my worries somewhat trival.