Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cigarrettes anyone???

Why i must stop smoking??

Please can someone clarify this issue??

What has smoking got to do with my lapband!!1

HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

I NEED A CIGYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

It's not because of the band, it's because of the healing from the surgery. I had a kidney transplant and they told me they wouldn't do it if I smoked because of the problems it causes healing. You have to have stopped smoking at least 2 weeks prior to surgery before my doctor would touch me. I quit smoking 9 years ago so I didn't have a problem but you really do need to stop before your surgery, not just because it is bad for you, but you can have complications because of it.

Just a guess, but, when I was smoking I gained a significant amount of weight, eat, smoke, eat, smoke, eat, smoke. It was a ficious cycle. You really are not doing yourself any favors by continuing to smoke and the attempt to lose weight. Why get the band if you are not willing to go the extra mile???? Don't want to sound mean and I guess you can call it a "reality" check and besides, you ask the question. I feel soooooooooooo much better since quitting smoking 3 years ago, long before I thought of getting the band.

Good luck.

You are so young...please stop smoking for your own benefit...right now. It will be easier now (not easy...I know!) but easier because you are younger.

Both of my parents, my husband's father, my uncle and my grandfather all quit when they were diagnosed with lung cancer. It was too late for all of them. Please seriously consider quitting permanently.

My best wishes while you attempt what seems like the impossible. Best of luck!

Lorraine

There are a couple reason they make you quit so heres a list

1. Its bad for you

2. It makes the risk for blood clots higher

3. It thins your blood

4. It slows down healing time

5. Once banded it will cause ulcers in your new stomach

So take it from someone who had to quit its better to do it now you don't have to be nic fitting while your healing. Yes it sucked but its one of the best things I have ever done. I can smell things i didn't know i couldn't smell before. I don't have to stand out side during storms any more. I don't have to worry if a resturant has a smoking section. I save about 2 grand a year. I don't have to worry about having a lighter or matches. I don't have to make sure i stop and get some smokes before the snow storm. I also am not putting on extra weight from stoping to pick up the smokes which resulting in buying a soda and a muffin while i was there. So anyway i could go on and on but trust me its worth it. O also my kids no longer smoke because i was stupid.

It does have to do with healing. It decrease the oxygen to your system and you won't heal as well. Its a battle we fight with every person who smokes. Maybe this is the right time to quit and don't forget to ask for help from your doctor if you need it.

Good luck to you.

Everyone is right about why you need to quit. MY Dr won't operate unless its all out of my system. I'm 2 days smoke free and I feel like I want to die, BUT, I am chewing on straws and gum and hoping I will wake up one day SOON and won't have the urge. Also, I know it is hard when you are surrounded by people who aren't supportive, I actually have a "friend" right now who thinks its funny that I'm struggling and blows smoke in my face.:biggrin: I've told her not to come around me for at least 2 weeks, she thinks I'm being a witch, but I don't care. I need this surgery!

Anyone who blows smoke in your face is NOT your friend. Are they going to shove pizza in your face too. I would rethink that friendship. You are NOT the bitch they are. Good luck and remember how healthy you are going to be very soon.

I quit 7 months ago I smoked a pack a day for 20 years,is it hard YES!! am I glad I did it YUP! My doctor gave me Chantix and that is what helped me stop smoking! im sooooooo happy to be smoke free,best of luck to you in quitting

I quit smoking just before my band was placed. I still want one every now and then, but I feel sooooo much healthier now. As Gilliebean said, it makes the risk of blood clots higher. That is a very big deal. I girl I went to school with (notice I am 33) died from a blood clot in her lung this weekend. She wasn't even a smoker. Take this not smoking thing seriously and quit while you are still young. I am getting close to starting my PS journey and boy am I glad that I quite before my band was placed. Recovery from PS looks like a bugger and my lungs should be much better able to handle it!! DO IT FOR YOU!! YOU WILL BE GLAD YOU DID!!

You are SO young...please quit now for your health. Make a clean sweep of it - get rid of your extra weight and your cigs. My sister was a life long smoker, and tried to stop many times. She was 59, had the best check up she'd had for years, stopped smoking and was given some sort of med to speed of her metabolism because she was afraid of gaining extra weight. The next day, she died instantly with a heart attack. We never knew what caused it for sure, but had she not smoked, I'm sure she'd be alive today. I know it's very hard, and from what I've read, women have an especially hard time quiting. After the surgery and after you lose the weight, do you really want to be huffing and puffing because your lungs are full of tar. Live your life to the fullest, you're being given a new chance!

Also, the doctor at the seminar I attended said that he requires smokers to quit either three or six months (sorry, I zoned out on that point because I'm not a smoker), because he wants completely clear lungs for surgery. He said that smokers have such a high risk of developing pneumonia after surgery, that it's not an option. He didn't give any information about smoking after surgery.

Good luck to you! Nobody here thinks it's easy to break the smoking habit, but we do know you'll be thankful that you did. Go for it!!

:)

6 Weeks ago I was a chain smoker. I 've smoked for 25 years. I didn't have any desire to quit & honestly didn't think that I would be able to.

7 weeks ago I started taking Chantix. I took the starter pills (white) & continued to smoke for the first week. They didn't make me feel like not smoking, I still smoked all the time. On the seventh day I started taking the higher dose (blue) pills & continued to smoke that day. At 10:30 p.m. while smoking my last cigarette I wrote a goodbye letter to my cigarettes. I woke up the next morning & had no craving for a cigarette. They say that the pills block the nicotine receptors in your brain.

I'm still in shock that I haven't smoked a cigarette, they've been a part of me for over half of my life. At first I'd have a little twinge, like I was reaching for a cigarette, or I'd think about it after I ate, but they were just habits. I never had a craving. I've heard that some people start smoking again after they quit taking the Chantix, so I'm taking it for the whole twelve weeks. I'm totally amazed that it works, but believe me it's worked for me. Just make sure to take it after you eat or your stomach will be upset.

I'm having my surgery in the morning , so I can't take my morning pill. I'll let you know if I have a craving after my surgery. :biggrin:

WOW!!! I sure hope it goes that way for me. Until I read this tread I had no clue that I would be required to quit smoking, they didn't even tell me that at my first visit Friday. I have been planning to quit anyway... this will just speed things up for me. Good luck with your surgery tomorrow. I hope to have mine done in a couple of months. Just waiting to finalize a property sale.