Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

September Bandsters??

I was also banded on 9-13-05. 4 days post-op and I'm feeling pretty darn good. I too hated sleeping on my back so had a couple of very restless nights. Last night, for the first time, I was able to sleep all night long on my side with no discomfort what-so-ever! Whoo Hoo!!!

I'm not particularly ever really hungry. I keep thinking i need to eat just to get the nutrients but I never feel famished...just know that I should eat. I'm getting a little tired of all liquids so have been sharing food with my 6 month old great-grandbaby who lives with us. We are eating baby food together...yes that may be weird but at least I feel like I'm having real food...if that makes sense.

The Water is the hardest for me since I can only sip, it's hard to get enough down in a day.

As for pain...mine has really been minimal. I have had some soreness but that has improved each day. When I bend forward too far I can really feel the port tugging on the muscle. That hurts for a few seconds but then subsides. I have to work Sunday but am not overly concerned about how I'll do. I should feel even better by then.

This is such a wonderful journey!

Hey! My date is Sept 23rd also! we'll have to compare notes when we get banded. I'm so anxious! I have no idea what its like to control my eating. The only time I've not ate as much as i do each meal was when i was super depressed and didnt eat for a couple of days. Talk about the worse relationship ever with food!

I'm looking forward to this new change in my life. I'm ready for food to not be the highlight of my day. Today I actually smiled at the little packs of applesauce in the grocery store and I look forward to eating it! - one container at a time - not the whole pack! :)

I wish you luck and my thoughts will be with you while I am in recovery as well!

So today, exactly a week before my surgery, my surgeon's office called me at 4:45pm to tell me that they had some bad news...

My surgeon got called back east to an emergency so they have to reschedule my surgery!!! Gosh dangit!! I waited all this time to be put back even more! hehe.

I kinda feel like it was meant to be though, because I have come down with a wicked cold this week and I've been to the Dr. twice for medicine to kick this cold. I think I'm finally beating the cold. So now, instead of wondering if I'll be all better before surgery, I know I will be all better. Always a positive side.

So now my surgery date is Sept 30. Works for me.

Good luck to you all who are to be banded and have a speedy recovery!!!

Hi Sparkle!!

Just had my surgery Friday! I feel like hell :-( but I know it will get better.

Did you feel short of breath at first when you walked around?? I realy freaked my husband out last night, had a brief period where I felt like I couldn't breathe at all after Icame back to bed from the bathroom. He though he was going to have to go to the store and buy me some diapers :-)

I feel a little better today, though.

Heather

Bensmum - do you have an incentive spirometer? Due to pain after surgery the bodies natural reaction is to only take shallow breathes to avoid the pain. Some hospitals give you a spirometer that you need to use 10 times per hour to induce deep breaths. If you don’t have one make sure you try deep breathing every hour to make it easier when you have to exert yourself (also prevents post surgical pneumonia)

Good luck,

Lynn

Banded 9/12/05

299.5/275/???/140

Top/surgery/current/goal

Hi

I am a september bandster too. September 15th for me. I don't feel any restriction either is this normal? I have 5 incisions. I sleep on my stomach too and I did last night with no problems. I was still sore getting out of bed to pee but I was able to sleep on my stomach. Is this good? I had been sleeping on my back on the recliner but decided to try my bed last night. I also have terrible shoulder pain does anyone else have that?

Hi

I am a september bandster too. September 15th for me. I don't feel any restriction either is this normal? I have 5 incisions. I sleep on my stomach too and I did last night with no problems. I was still sore getting out of bed to pee but I was able to sleep on my stomach. Is this good? I had been sleeping on my back on the recliner but decided to try my bed last night. I also have terrible shoulder pain does anyone else have that?

Wow, I can't believe that you can already sleep on your stomach. I'd love to be able to do that, and I've been banded since 9/8/05. Actually, I probably could but am kinda scared. I'm not sure if this is good or bad, but I see my surgeon on the 20th and plan on asking him if it would be alright if I slept on my stomach. I do have a little shoulder pain, even this far out, but mostly when I lay on my back. Of course, it's the gas from the surgery. It should get better each day. You're pretty recent so it's to be expected.

Shawn

Wow, I can't believe that you can already sleep on your stomach. I'd love to be able to do that, and I've been banded since 9/8/05. Actually, I probably could but am kinda scared. I'm not sure if this is good or bad, but I see my surgeon on the 20th and plan on asking him if it would be alright if I slept on my stomach. I do have a little shoulder pain, even this far out, but mostly when I lay on my back. Of course, it's the gas from the surgery. It should get better each day. You're pretty recent so it's to be expected.

actually I was scared too to sleep on my stomach, but I was so tired that I just went for it. Im not sure how Im going to try to sleep tonight since Im not sure its good to sleep on my stomach this early on. My shoulder pain is killing me and I can't wait for that to be over ! I feel no restriction though on eating or I should say drinking do you? I feel like I can drink normal amounts at normal speed. Im supposed to be on liquids for 3 weeks.

banded 9/15/05

Dr. Jossart

Laparscopic Associates of S.F.

215.5/???/140

Hi DVSABoss, I too have been eating baby food, but only found one that I liked after adding some salt of course...And I like you was having the worse time getting my Water down. In fact I think I was starting to get dehydrated the first couple of days. How did it go for you at work yesterday? I hope it went well and that you weren't in too much discomfort. I feel tired now if I over do it. Take care and my prayers for a speedy recovery for you.

Macabella and all,

I put in a nine hour work day and needless to say I was pretty darn tired. I don't do a lot of physical labor (had to make 25 manuals for a training I'm doing all this week) but felt a lot of pressure on my "gut" from reaching and leaning over a table for so long. Once I got home and rested a bit, I felt pretty good.

I used to be a late late owl and you had to drag me out of bed in the morning but post surgery, I'm in bed by ten and up at six! A whole new world for me!!!

I'm really struggling with eating and drinking enough right now. I'm getting about 500 calories a day down....I'm just never really hungry. By the time I take my normal medications (twice a day) and my Vitamins, I feel like I've had a meal. Even though I cut them up really small, they just sit in my gut and give me the feeling that I'm really full.

I still sneak a bite or two of baby food when I feed my GGD but I'm mostly sticking with Soup, yogurt smoothies, Propel, fruit-2-0, Jello and some juice occassionally....oh, and my leftover Optifast.

I love my coffee in the morning, but can only get about two ounces down before I'm too full to drink any more. That's okay though as I don't really need it. That's the way I feel about most food...just don't miss it! Boy have I waited for this day!!!!

Luckily, I've had very little problems with gas (at least being painful) I had the shoulder pain for about a day but it went away pretty quickly. I hardly feel my scars (they are getting a little itchy now) only once in awhile if I bend too quickly my port tugs on the muscle and that smarts a little. I sleep very comfortably now in any position I want. Does not seem to bother me at all.

I'm down to 317.5 which makes a total of 20.5 pounds lost since pre-surgery 9-2-05. It's amazing how just losing 20 pounds makes it so much easier for me to get around! I'm liking this!!!!

We just have to give ourselves time. We all heal and lose differently. The main thing though, we made an excellent decision to make an extraordinary change in our lives...go slow, give it time and we will see the rewards.

Have a good one...

pam

Hi Lynn-

They did not give me an incentive spirometer, but my mother got one when she broke her leg and had to have surgery. She actually stayed with us during her recovery and my husband believes she left it here. He is going to look for it.

Thanks for the advice!!

I feel like I can drink normal amounts at normal speed. Im supposed to be on liquids for 3 weeks.

banded 9/15/05

Dr. Jossart

Laparscopic Associates of S.F.

215.5/???/140

Well, at first I would hear my liquids girgle down into my stomach. It was like a clogged drain, then girgle girgle girgle. Now, since the swelling is down I can eat, but feel full on less amount then pre-surgery. So, now I do feel a restriction so far but not as much as in the beginning. It may be that I am still a bit swollen.

Shawn