Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recovery Time - work and motorcycling

1st, I just called my surgeon's office and they did the 1st 4 band surgeries this week (with the proctor). All successful (or would they tell me otherwise).. Since they don't have alot of experience, I am really counting on this board.

Can everyone tell me how long before they returned to work?

And for those others who ride motorcycle, how long before you could ride? I am not much of a pub jumper (bar hopper) but like to go somewhere. I don't have any 500+ mile days planned for the 1st month but probably a few 250-300 mile days. Is that going to be too much?

My doctor told me I could ride my Harley in two weeks. I didn't quite feel good enough at two weeks, but I rode shortly after that and it didn't bother me at all. I did ride behind my DH at two weeks though.

My doc told me to ride my Harley home from the hospital. Then again he encouraged poll dancing. I'm thinking he was joking?

I was back in classes a week after my surgery. I was still a bit tired after a full day, but I had other stuff going on too, non-band related.

I was riding horses two weeks after my surgery. And a bike is much easier... for one thing, you don't have to clean a bike's feet before you can ride it! I wouldn't want to pick up either one though... That would be the biggest concern as far as I'm concerned. (of course, horses are self righting. :) )

As far as going back to work, retunring to work I think depends on the type of job you have.

I run a restraunt, on my feet all day, and around food all day long so I opted to take an extra week off even though I felt great I did not know how I would handle being around food all day long while still on the liquid phase , it was more of a mental thing for me then physical.

I think I am not the norm... but....

I had the surgery on Wed and was back to work at a desk job by Monday.

As for my bike (crotch rocket style, sorry hate harleys), I tried at the 2 week mark but leaning over and the vibration gave me cramps. I tried at the 5 week mark and it was fine to ride but only for a trip to the video store and back. I couldn't imagine going a long haul but then again I don't ride long anyways, I am more of the "hopper".

It shouldn't be a problem in a few weeks. Not sure about the long distance.

When I was getting my band though, I met a young girl and her father, who were talking about how her godfather ripped some stitches using a jackhammer. Apparently the vibrations werent helping things.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

Amazing! Congrats!!! Watch out for the sharks. 🦈

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches