Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My girlie gene is weak!

So how girly is girly for everyone out there? I really don't see myself as a girly girl, although I will get dressed up on occasion. I can't stand dresses and skirts (that could be just coz they make look fatter than I am), don't get into manicures/pedicures, shoes or shopping. I do wear a little makeup most days (mascara and blush, nothing else). I was an outright tomboy as a child and was thrilled whenever someone would mistake me for a boy. That changed with a very early onset of puberty and I do like playing the sexy vamp on occasion, so I have some elements of "girly" in me - but frills and bows and fussing with clothes? Not me at all.

Fanny,

If I were to wear heels it would kill me!!!!! If you were to see me on an average day I'm in shorts, even though I live up north and socks and if I go out it's jeans and sneaks. I've always loved pants, shorts anything but a dress. I do the makeup thing only because I'm so fair my skin is translucent but not as beautiful as Marilyn Monroe's was! My hair is naturally curly so I have to "tame" it in various ways. It's much thinner now than it was when I was younger.

I had three older brothers so maybe that's part of it but I was never a "delicate little flower". Nancy:lol:

I have two older brothers, so maybe that's where it comes from :) I was forever tagging after them as a kid, climbing trees and getting into fistfights with them. My entire wardrobe consists of either jeans or pants with tops of varying degrees of girliness. Standard wear is a simple t-shirt or tank top and my idea of "dressing up" is to put on a fancy top to go with my plain black pants.

Used to be a huge tomboy when I was younger even though I did the whole 1 hour makeup thing & another hour on my hair things up till about the age of 25.

But I'm weird too lol I own 1 dress that I have never worn lol.

I LOVE ankle length skirts though. It's finding material/patterns that is hard for me I seriously dislike most patterns. But bright & colorfull I Love.

I don't mind some ruffles and lace depends on how they are done though. A ruffle or lace at the sleeves or bottom of the skirt is great. Around my neck bugs me and just looks wrong. lol. But I love and make my own ruffled or lace hair scrunchies sometimes.

My Idea of more girly dressing is things like I now own, several bell type sleeved tops, long skirts, jackets and such that 20 years ago I would called to sissylooking. lol Even if I could find a pair of jeans now I wouldn't bother with em now as I dislike heavier fabrics. And I lived in jeans when I was younger. I don't like tight clothes anymore.

Couple of my favorites things to wear now.

Stretchy lace black top. I love how it looks and how cool it is. Wish I could find others in other colors though. I'm not big on black really. But its going on 5 years old and still looks new!

Long skirts especially with these crochet short vests I have. Or a sports bra around the house when it gets hot.

I am more likely now to wear more jewelry then I did 20 years ago. And things like ankle bracelets, bangles etc.

Always hated heels but did wear them before I had kids. But most likely to take em off. I have pictures of my wedding of me in my white with hot pink ankle hightop sneakers!! LOL Can't stand the whole hose/slip/layering thing with dresses. To reminicent of church on sunday growing up I guess.

The one dress I own has bell sleeves and is black with a rainbow sparkle effect all over it. And is about calf length. But after 6 years in the closet It still hangs lol.

Maybe that will change when I get some weight off I can have it altered to fit.

I'm also a real stickler about clothes that can be washed and or natural feeling fabrics. If I can't toss it in the washer I wont buy it. If its wool or something Itchy I won't buy it either.

I have two older brothers, so maybe that's where it comes from :) I was forever tagging after them as a kid, climbing trees and getting into fistfights with them. My entire wardrobe consists of either jeans or pants with tops of varying degrees of girliness. Standard wear is a simple t-shirt or tank top and my idea of "dressing up" is to put on a fancy top to go with my plain black pants.

My two younger brothers are totally straight, well their wives think they are at least, jk. But if anyone can dress well it's those two. Not only do they have perfect physiques they wear the nicest clothes! Something went wrong somewhere. My younger sister is into clothes though and will spend a fortune on clothes. I think I'm the only one who took after my father. Anyway it's sad when your brothers have nicer shoes and clothes than their sister! Even thin I was not into clothes and that was the "disco" era when everyone was dressing up and wearing heels but not me I couldn't pull it off, maybe because I was always in bare feet!!

I live in jeans. I'd buy other pants but I can't get them that fit most of the time. I do try to wear nice tops and not t-shirts. I used to live in t-shirts and jeans.

I own 3 dresses. Two I bought for funerals and now wear to job interviews. One is floor length and I wear it to weddings and fancy parties. But I keep stepping on the hem and it's in kind of bad shape. So I need to get another one.

I don't own any skirts. Again, I can't find any that are in my size that fit comfortably.

I own about 5 pairs of shoes. I wear sneakers most of the time. If I want to look dressed up, I have a pair of Danskos that look sort of like Mary Janes in style. Flat heel of course. I do have one pair of shoes I use for ballroom dancing with a 2" heel. One pair of hiking boots I never wear. One pair of sandals I wear about 3x a year. That's it.

I own one purse at a time. Right now it's a black messenger bag. :)

I had to go school to learn how to dress myself and put on makeup. Since then I pick better colors for myself and get the right styles and when I do wear makeup, I get compliments on it. But I hate to shop so I have hardly any clothes and only stuff that is easy to find and is comfortable to wear. I could use a real personal shopper. Too bad I'm not loaded because I'd totally do it if I could afford it.

So that's how I rank on the girly scale. :)

Just realized it and kind of embarrassed too but I'm very girlie when it comes to decor and the home, I'm really into the "shabby chic" look and don't have a lot of it around but I really like it and the Swedish look too but it's not very husband-friendly or dog-friendly and my daughters aren't too keen on it either but it's the girliest part of me! Got to rinse out my hair dye!!!!:tongue2:

I would say im girly when i have to be, eg on occasions or when i know that im going out i will make the effort, the rest of the time i really cant be bothered. I mean who has an hour to spare just doing make up every day...??? I would rather have the extra sleep!!! lol

I actually have a skirt that is cut on the bias, and it does make a HUGE difference!!! Although I now realize I cannot wear it anymore, it is too big!

Anyway the difference in mine is as has been mentioned the fabric is cut diagonally. In my other skirts the seams run down the sides, and due to my large belly before the TT, they always puckered. The one cut on the bias, has 3 seams I think in front and back, and the center seam comes to a V so it sat better with my belly--and actually when you would think it would accentuate it, it disguised it wonderfully!

I am doing a terrible job explaining it-----but in skirts---it truly does make a difference in the fit of the skirt. Why you would "need" to know that in a book---that I cannot help with!!!

I am semi girly!!! Getting more so as the weight comes off---and I feel like I have less to cover up. It feels pretty good again to be honest!

Kat

I am a makeup junkie :thumbup: hair i usually just blowdry it or brush it, but makeup MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM love it. I buy it even when I dont need anything LOL

I have to say... I'm not so girly. At my friend's wedding I was excited to dress up until I was in the dress and hating every minute of it!

My daughter is like me, more tom-boyish and non-girly. My bf's daughter is girly. It's funny - they're the same age, but completely different.

I don't know why, but "girly-girls" always got on my nerves. The ones who had to have the perfect hair before going to the pool - those kind of chicks. And, I find as I get older, being girly costs more. As a kid I could chose to climb a tree or put on the froo-froo dresses. As an adult, I think I'd still rather climb a tree than "chat" with ladies about their $1,000 purses.

I have come to put more thought into what I look like, but only when it's practical. (But that tree outside my building looks awfully tempting!)

mmmm makeup and purses. I am a purse junkie too :tongue2:

lol i think i would rather go to the gym, and i cant stand the gym!! i cant stand girls that just talk hair and make up all day everyday, how shallow! i feel like giving em a slap and telling em to go play in traffic!!! lol lol

As an adult, I think I'd still rather climb a tree than "chat" with ladies about their $1,000 purses.

Well, I must clarify...I've become a shoe junkie. (Not the Sex in the City type, more on my Payless budget type). I can go into a store and find shoes that fit - whereas, even small purses never fit my fat arms, plus a jacket/coat.

My dd's 10-year old friend has a $40 coach wallet, the size of my phone. I don't get that. In those cases, my girly gene is out fishing! :tongue2: lol