Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Today was the big day!! Hubby and I arrived at the hospital for 7:30am, and about 10 minutes later I was taken to pre-op to change, get hooked up to all the lovely machines, etc. The nurse was incredibly sweet and gentle, but she couldn't get a vein. My veins roll and hide a lot, and today they were on their worst behavior. She used a numbing agent first so she could poke around without hurting me too much, but I now have 3 bruises on my hands and arm! There were two little surprises- a shot of blood thinner in the belly (which I'd read about on these boards but my surgeon never discussed- thank you for the warning everyone!) and a creamer-sized dose of a nasty antacid.

Hubby kissed me goodbye, I got the relaxing agent in my IV, and I was off to the OR just after 9am. I remember my arms being strapped down away from my body and breathing into an oxygen mask, and I woke up in recovery around 11:30. The pain was a little more than I expected, but not nearly as bad as my disc surgery a few years ago. Another lovely nurse fed me ice chips, got a bedpan under me because I thought I needed to pee (didn't happen), and got my pain to a 2-3 before I went to my room.

I was slipping Water slowly, drifting in and out of sleep, and got up to take a walk not even an hour later. It took me 4 hours of repeatedly walking and resting before my body was ready to pee. I guess the pain meds can sometimes slow down the bladder (as well as other things), and I'd get the urge but nothing came out. Once I finally peed, I was in my clothes and out the door 15 minutes later and home by 6:15pm.

Hubby got my pain meds from the drugstore and helped me into bed after a walk with the dog. Our couch is too soft and deep, and we don't have a recliner, so our high bed is the best option for me as long as I'm really propped up with pillows. I just have to get in quickly and not stop or it hurts too much. Now I'm sipping Water, taking brief walks to relieve the gas discomfort, and peeing quite regularly :tongue2:

All in all, a great day. The staff at Baystate Medical in Springfield, MA is exceptional- every single person I was in contact with was friendly, helpful, and excited for me. This weekend is supposed to be 95 degrees, so hubby has one more task- getting the AC unit in the window!

These stories really helped me before my surgery, so I wanted to give back, too. Feel free to ask me any questions, especially if you're going through PVSA and Dr. Fiallo.

Oh, one more thing. I was on liquids for a week before and didn't weigh myself because I figured they would weigh me the morning of surgery- they didn't! So I don't know my pre-surgery weight. Not the biggest deal, but I was curious.

What a great story....

I found the best position the first few nights was with my head propped up and two pillows under my knees... and the pain meds at arms reach LOL! After the 2nd night I only used liquid extra strength tylenol...

Good luck and congrats on your surgery!!!

Congrats to you luiguismom, I am happy to hear you had a GREAT DAY. I wish you much success during your journey.

Thanks for the update..

Congrats on such a great day and new beginning!! I'm glad you are home and resting. Hope my surgery goes as well on the 17th. Keep us posted but get some needed rest too.

Sounds really good, congratulations! It's always amazing to hear how different things happen in different facilities and with different doctors.

I definitely got weighed before surgery, because my doctor cancels surgery if you don't lose the weight he tells you to lose before surgery! My regret is that I didn't weigh myself at home the day after surgery. When I went for my post-op checkup 8 days later, I was up 1.5 lbs. from surgery day and I don't know if I had actually gained the mysterious 10 pounds some people gain during surgery and then lost 8.5 lbs. of it during my week on liquids, or whether I really gained weight during the week on liquids.

Also, I expected to have trouble getting up and down off my couch but didn't. I slept in my bed on the same pillows I always use, and got up and down with no problem. And what I really want to complain about is I didn't get any relaxing drugs before surgery! Waaah! LOL

Get well soon and have a happy journey!

Follow all of the directions your MD gave you and you will be fine. I'm three months out and doing great. Good luck! SS

Congrats Luigismama! :(

I'm only a few days ahead of you and the uncomfortableness and all that gets better each and everyday. Walking really helped me. I've been taking at least 3-4 per day at about 1/2- 1 1/2mi each and I really think it has helped my healing process. Sounds like you are doing great getting back into the swing of things.

PS Can I borrow you're husband to install my a/c? :( This heat wave and the humidity is going to be killer (I'm in No. NJ).

Thanks for all your well wishes and support everyone! It's so surreal to finally be a bandster- I've been thinking and preparing and meditating on it for so long.

Last night I was up about every 4 hours with gas pain, but after a long walk this morning, I'm feeling better. Luigi loves the walks (that's my dog), and it really helps. I tried the Gas-X strips, but they didn't do anything except freshen my breath!

It's my brother-in-law's birthday today, and they're all celebrating with steak and lobster later. I'll be catching up on the season finale of LOST and enjoying a sugar-free popsicle and LOVING IT!

I got a chuckle out of your dog Luigi.... I have a cat named Luigi....He is from Italy.... while we were stationed there we rescued 3 cats.... He was the first so we gave him an Italian name.....

Ohh and Lobster and Steak... reminds me of home... I am from Maine origianlly!!!