Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone in Dallas Tx

Lucy...I live in McKinney as well. If either one of you ever have any questions or need encouragement, I'll be more than glad to try. Lord knows I've had my share of questions. To be honest, heck, I still do even after 3 years. So, feel free to contact me if you'd like.

I live in Grand Prairie. My niece has the same Dr. as you. She lives in Allen, Tx.

Aunt Lucy -

Thanks for reaching out. I appreciate your words.

Today is a good day - feeling pretty strong and surprisingly hungry today. Do you know if it is absolutely necessary to wait 7 days after surgery to begin soft foods. I am so sick of clear fluids I could spit!!! LOL I would love a yogurt or some tuna . . .:thumbup:

Can you tell me about your lapband experience? When did you get banded? How has your weight loss been going? Do you exercise? What do you eat on a normal day? Who was your surgeon? You know the skinny on what to expect basically . . .

Aunt Lucy -

Today is a good day - feeling pretty strong and surprisingly hungry today. Do you know if it is absolutely necessary to wait 7 days after surgery to begin soft foods. I am so sick of clear fluids I could spit!!! LOL I would love a yogurt or some tuna . . .:thumbup:

Can you tell me about your lapband experience? When did you get banded? How has your weight loss been going? Do you exercise? What do you eat on a normal day? Who was your surgeon? You know the skinny on what to expect basically . . .

Can you eat fruit sauces, vege juice, any type of Soup as long as there are no chunks, thinned cream of wheat, cream of rice, malt o meal. or grits?

My surgery date is Aug. 4th. I have my instruction pamplet in front of me now looking at what I can eat on 3rd day. How about some LOW CARB Slim Fast...i love those.

PJ -

I guess I'll just stick with what I'm doing - Soup with nothing in them, gatorade, a shake . . yadda yadda yadda LOL

what does day 5 say? that's where I'm at . . .

Congrats on your date!!! who is your surgeon?

Aunt Lucy -

Today is a good day - feeling pretty strong and surprisingly hungry today. Do you know if it is absolutely necessary to wait 7 days after surgery to begin soft foods. I am so sick of clear fluids I could spit!!! LOL I would love a yogurt or some tuna . . .:tt2:

christafin, I'm happy to help! You really need to follow your doctor's directions. Basically, they want to keep your stomach as still as possible so it can heal. When you put food in it, it churns and grumbles and can hurt the healing of the band. I know it's hard, but it will be over before you know it. Did your doctor tell you to get Protein supplements? That helped me. I used the Protein Bullets. It comes in a tube and each tube has 42 g of protein. I used half a tube at a time. You can either drink it straight or add it to Water or crystal light or juice. It has the consistency of Jello before it sets. I like the fruit punch flavored bullet mixed with fruit punch crystal light. Getting the protein in will definitely help you feel fuller and keep your energy up. My doctor let me have sugar free popscicles, and that helped to feel like I was eating something. I also bought a slushy machine that crushed ice. I added crystal light to it, and I'd crunch on the ice. If you tried that, it might help trick your mind.

I was banded March 10th, so it's been a little over 4 months. I've lost 52 pounds as of last Sunday. I even lost 2 pounds on my vacation last week! I feel like I'm doing very well. I stick to the program that the doctor and nutritionist recommended which is high protein. I try to get 80 grams a day. I've had 2 fills so far and am up to 6 ccs in a 10 cc band. I've only PB'd once when I accidentally swollowed a bite of food that was too big. I eat small bites and chew, chew, chew! I try to stick to around 1100 calories a day. Here are some typical things I eat:

• Breakfast: Yoplait light yogurt or 1/2 cup egg beaters (sometimes with vegetables and cheese) -- I don't typically eat much for Breakfast after my last fill because I seem to be tighter in the morning.
  • Lunch: 2 to 3 oz of chicken or fish with a small salad or fruit; OR 1 cup lean chili (I make my own) with a few low fat crackers
  • Dinner: similar to lunch
  • Snack: sugar free pudding, fruit, additional protein, etc.

I am so happy I had the surgery. My surgeon was Dr. Stephen Hamn in Plano. I've been very happy with him. I find that I don't crave the same things anymore. I've shifted to thinking of food as fuel for my body. Occasionally, I'll indulge in a treat. My favorite thing is Paciugo (italian ice cream). I get a small cup of that and am in heaven. It's made with milk instead of cream so it's healthier than regular ice cream.

I do exercise 3 to 4 times a week. I'd like to do it more but it's really hard with my schedule. I do pilates and swim.

Hang in there! You will be on soft foods before you know it! You can do this. Just take it minute by minute.

christafin, I'm happy to help! You really need to follow your doctor's directions. Basically, they want to keep your stomach as still as possible so it can heal. When you put food in it, it churns and grumbles and can hurt the healing of the band. I know it's hard, but it will be over before you know it. Did your doctor tell you to get Protein supplements? That helped me. I used the Protein Bullets. It comes in a tube and each tube has 42 g of protein. I used half a tube at a time. You can either drink it straight or add it to Water or crystal light or juice. It has the consistency of Jello before it sets. I like the fruit punch flavored bullet mixed with fruit punch crystal light. Getting the protein in will definitely help you feel fuller and keep your energy up. My doctor let me have sugar free popscicles, and that helped to feel like I was eating something. I also bought a slushy machine that crushed ice. I added crystal light to it, and I'd crunch on the ice. If you tried that, it might help trick your mind.

I was banded March 10th, so it's been a little over 4 months. I've lost 52 pounds as of last Sunday. I even lost 2 pounds on my vacation last week! I feel like I'm doing very well. I stick to the program that the doctor and nutritionist recommended which is high protein. I try to get 80 grams a day. I've had 2 fills so far and am up to 6 ccs in a 10 cc band. I've only PB'd once when I accidentally swollowed a bite of food that was too big. I eat small bites and chew, chew, chew! I try to stick to around 1100 calories a day. Here are some typical things I eat:

• Breakfast: Yoplait light yogurt or 1/2 cup egg beaters (sometimes with vegetables and cheese) -- I don't typically eat much for Breakfast after my last fill because I seem to be tighter in the morning.
  • Lunch: 2 to 3 oz of chicken or fish with a small salad or fruit; OR 1 cup lean chili (I make my own) with a few low fat crackers
  • Dinner: similar to lunch
  • Snack: sugar free pudding, fruit, additional protein, etc.

I am so happy I had the surgery. My surgeon was Dr. Stephen Hamn in Plano. I've been very happy with him. I find that I don't crave the same things anymore. I've shifted to thinking of food as fuel for my body. Occasionally, I'll indulge in a treat. My favorite thing is Paciugo (italian ice cream). I get a small cup of that and am in heaven. It's made with milk instead of cream so it's healthier than regular ice cream.

I do exercise 3 to 4 times a week. I'd like to do it more but it's really hard with my schedule. I do pilates and swim.

Hang in there! You will be on soft foods before you know it! You can do this. Just take it minute by minute.

Will you share your chili recipe? I love chili.

Thanks - I know I need to just relax and keep with the liquids, but for some reason, today I am really wanting to chew something - I WANT MEAT!!!! lol lol lol

Just two more days and I can have some tuna - I never thought I'd look forward to the having canned tuna!!! LOL

Thanks for sharing your details, it sounds like you are doing fabulously!!! You must be so proud of your achievement so far!!! I hope I can do as well.

Do you remember if you lost a lot of weight the first week you were banded? I have read on the other threads that people gained approximately 10 lbs. the 1st week through the 2nd week of banding, but I have actually lost about 13 lbs. in the past 5 days. I'm hoping that is acceptable.

I love to have your chili recipe as well . . .I see you have a few crackers with that. You don't have any problems with those?

Aunt Lucy -

Today is a good day - feeling pretty strong and surprisingly hungry today. Do you know if it is absolutely necessary to wait 7 days after surgery to begin soft foods. I am so sick of clear fluids I could spit!!! LOL I would love a yogurt or some tuna . . .:tt2:

Sure...I actually use a packaged mix that I've only found at Super Target. The brand is called Cugino's Chili Fixin's Mix. But, I don't follow the directions on the package. I brown 96% lean ground meat in a large skillet with 1/2 of a diced onion. When the meat is cooked, I add in 1 14 oz can of diced tomatoes and 1 14 oz can of Tomato sauce. (I like a tomatoey chili!) I also add in the mix and 3/4 can of Water. I let it simmer for half an hour, and it's done! It's so easy, and I figured the calculations out. 1 cup of it has about 200 calories and 26 grams of Protein. I usually make a double batch at a time, and after it's ready, I put 1 cup servings in small ziploc bowls. It's so easy to grab one of those and pop it in the microwave and know that I'll get some great, tasty Protein. I take it to work for lunch a lot.

I hope that helps!

Thanks christafin! I am proud of myself, and it's a great feeling. My first 2 weeks after the band I lost 18 pounds. Then, when my doctor put me on solid food, I gained a little of it back. (Don't freak out if that happens.) It's very normal. Your body will likely be in shock after a while and start reacting strangely. My doctor told me after surgery that my job wasn't to lose weight but to let my body heal. He said that after my body healed, my job was still not to lose weight, but to learn how to change my eating behaviors. He said he would tell me when I needed to focus on weight loss. He still hasn't told me, and he doesn't need to. I have hit some plateaus, and that's normal too. I just kept doing what I was doing, and eventually (sometimes after a week, sometimes 3 weeks) I broke through the plateau.

And no, I have no problems with crackers. I try not to go nuts eating them b/c I need to make sure I have room for my Protein. I need my Protein to fuel my body, but also for my hair. It started coming out about 5weeks ago (even though I was getting a lot of protein). The doctor said my body is just in shock, and he assured me it will grow back. Fortunately I have a lot of hair and no one has noticed, but it does make me nervous.

Good luck! I'll add you to my friends list, and then you can stay in touch if you have other questions or just need a kind word!

Hi Christa! I'm in Mansfield so a pretty close neighbor! I haven't had surgery yet but recently found out from my doctor that he thinks I'm a better candidate for the vertical sleeve due to hiatal hernia problems. It's a restrictive procedure like the band so we will have similar situations I'm sure. I'm still messing around with insurance so will hopefully have my surgery in October. Who did your band?

Alison

Hi!

I have been banded since 2006, but starting my journey all over again. I would be happy to answer any questions you have since I am way past the post op part. Plus I would love to have some local banded buddies!

Lisa

I think I introduced myself earlier in the thread, Im in the Dallas area, not losing real fast but working on it by walking every night and now adding in a little jogging.

Still havent gotten rid of this little bit of stomach ache since surgery, but will see a doctor in a few weeks for a fill. When I asked my surgeon he says its gas.

Waiting on it to cool off some, today was really hot in Dallas huh?? Then I will put on my shorts and get outside. If my scale is accurate I was 234 when I went for my surgery and down to 221 lbs this morning. Im really pushing for Onederland. My goal is 120 lbs, so 100 more lbs. Im over 5 6, but small boned. (yes I need to see about a ticker). I lost the easy weight pre surgery, now its coming off much harder, I was as much as 243 when I applied for the surgery.

Iv been really good about my walking at night, but having trouble getting up in time to do it in the morning. My goal is twice a day to speed up the weight loss. Just signing in before my walk/run tonight. Hey everyone. :teeth_smile:

I think I introduced myself earlier in the thread, Im in the Dallas area, not losing real fast but working on it by walking every night and now adding in a little jogging.

Still havent gotten rid of this little bit of stomach ache since surgery, but will see a doctor in a few weeks for a fill. When I asked my surgeon he says its gas.

Waiting on it to cool off some, today was really hot in Dallas huh?? Then I will put on my shorts and get outside. If my scale is accurate I was 234 when I went for my surgery and down to 221 lbs this morning. Im really pushing for Onederland. My goal is 120 lbs, so 100 more lbs. Im over 5 6, but small boned. (yes I need to see about a ticker). I lost the easy weight pre surgery, now its coming off much harder, I was as much as 243 when I applied for the surgery.

Iv been really good about my walking at night, but having trouble getting up in time to do it in the morning. My goal is twice a day to speed up the weight loss. Just signing in before my walk/run tonight. Hey everyone. :teeth_smile:

I'm in Dallas county also. Was 104 here today...soooo hot. When were you banded? My surgery date is Aug. 4th. 1 week from tomorrow. Good luck !!!

I'm in Dallas county also. Was 104 here today...soooo hot. When were you banded? My surgery date is Aug. 4th. 1 week from tomorrow. Good luck !!!

Im self pay, so I went to Juarez, flew into El Paso on SW and they drove me to the hospital. Had the surgery July 9th, I was supposed to stay an extra night in a hotel they had arranged, but I paid to change my flight and came on home. I probably should have stayed and rested an extra night, I came home awfully tired.

Except for this nagging small stomach pain, no other problems. My first fill is Aug 16th. So, right after your surgery, Ill have my first fill. Right now I have zero restriction, I can eat anything. Im back from my walk, didnt do much jogging, just a little, hopefully I will keep upping the pace. I tried a taco from Taco Bell this weekend and np, right on down. People keep acting like Im supposed to not be able to eat as much. Worrying me. Cant wait for some restriction.