Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Short Term Disability Payment?

Has anyone received Short Term Disability Payment for time off work for this surgery? I'm not sure if they will count it as Elective. My company automatically puts you on FMLA after 3 days and then STD will pay after 7 days if approved. If not approved or I miss 6 days or less of work, I have to take it without pay or as vacation time.

One more week until I'm banded!!!

Hi:

I didn't put in for short term disability, but another guy that I used to work with did. He had gastric bypass so he had to take a bit more time off though.

Good luck.

Sue

Hey Everyone!! I work for a very large financial institution and was just banded on May 8th. I was approved for the short term disability from my surgery date of May 8th thru May 25th and returned to work on May 26th. I also filed the FMLA just to cover myself for job protection, which we can do if you miss 3 days. (that was approved too) Our STD kicks in once you miss the 8th calendar day. Now it took Met Life time to approve it, and it seems like I am going to miss the normal pay day of the end of the month, but they may be able to get an off cycle paycheck on this Thursday, so that is better than having to wait till the 15th. I have to work on it more tomorrow at work with my boss. I work at a desk on a computer all day. Not strenuous, but hard to sit for 2-3 hours at a time without being able to get up when you need to and it is uncomfortable. My job also pays 100% of your pay for up to 13 wks. It is really how your doctor fills out the paperwork for the disability company. I would suggest telling your dr how many days it takes for them to pay you and surely he will be sure you are given enough time to claim the short term disability. My dr was very understanding about it and his standard time allowed is two weeks anyway.

:P:thumbup::thumbup:Good Luck to all of us!!!:lol::thumbup::smile:

Edited by gojaguars
wanted to correct misspelling and add extra thought

As I had a generous amount of sick days available, I decided to take a month or so off to heal and get my head wrapped around this. My surg make it 5 weeks.

In California, once you've been out 7 days you're automatically on disability-short term. My company still pays minus the amount the state pays. This also means that I lose less sick days as the time the state pays (rather than the company) are state "sick days" not my companies. It's good because it comes out to about a third of the sick days are not deducted. Still it's a big drop in sick time, but it was important to me. I haven't had time off in quite a while.

Gwenn

Has anyone received Short Term Disability Payment for time off work for this surgery? I'm not sure if they will count it as Elective. My company automatically puts you on FMLA after 3 days and then STD will pay after 7 days if approved. If not approved or I miss 6 days or less of work, I have to take it without pay or as vacation time.

One more week until I'm banded!!!

Yes, I took 3 weeks off in May 2007. I was paid for 2 weeks through STD. If your Doctor completes the paperwork, you should be fine. I took the time to get my eating and drinking regulated. if not, I would have surely had complications.

Thanks everyone for the responses. So sounds like most have been able to receive short term disability, I was afraid they would consider it as elective surgery. I guess the trick now is to make sure my doctor does not give me the approval to return to work until after 7 days. My company does not give us sick/personal days and I'm too stingy to give up my vacation.

Thanks everyone for the responses. So sounds like most have been able to receive short term disability, I was afraid they would consider it as elective surgery. I guess the trick now is to make sure my doctor does not give me the approval to return to work until after 7 days. My company does not give us sick/personal days and I'm too stingy to give up my vacation.

First of all, if insurance is paying, it is not elective. Insurance doesn't pay for elective. Obesity is a recognized disease. Even if insurance doesn't pay because there's an exclusion, it's a recognized disease. The state only needs the paperwork. They don't deal with diagnosis.

Your doctor is who you need. And also be aware that disability only pays up to half of your salary and in most places, won't kick in until day 8.

Good point about if insurance is paying it is not elective, and BCBS has approved it. I guess I'm lucky, my short term policy will pay 100%. Thanks!