Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who's Getting Banded in July?

My Protein shake is pretty yummy, maybe you'll like it (Penny). It is called Muscle Milk Light. It is a whey Protein powder that you can mix with either Water or milk. I mix mine with 1/2 cup of milk and 1 cup of Water in the blender with ice. I have the chocolate milk flavor and I just ordered the Peanut Butter chocolate flavor online (cheapest at vitacost.com)(got 1 in store at Vitamin World). They come in like 6 different flavors.

I think that post-op I have 1 week of Clear liquids maybe, then full liquids (AliNSanDiego).

No misunderstanding. The nutritionist said it very clearly before I was discharged and then gave me a print out that clearly states I can have only the following for 2 weeks post-op

sugar free Jello

broth

sugar free Popsicles

Water

decafe tea

uncarbonated, sugar free drinks

After my 2 week post-op appointment I will be able to add Protein drinks and Tomato Soup.

I think I will try the Isopure...now to figure out which flavor...

The punch tastes like punch with Vitamins....I haven't tried the grape or pinapple. One of the banders told me that apple was good.

Thanks all for the suggestions. I will certainly try other shakes. What I can't stand is what I assume is the flavor/smell of the powered Protein itself, not the flavor of the shake. It also doesn't help that I'm not a big milk fan, which is what this brand (UnJury, allegedly one of the best tasting ones) is mixed with.

I'm being banded on the 21st and I'm getting so scared (again).

Sigh. I wish I could just sleep until this is all over.

Hey - I don't know if you have to take the Protein Shakes before or after the surgery, but if it is BEFORE, then I found drinking the shakes with a straw really helped. I hate the smell too - I also hate the flavor, but still... The straw was enough to get my nose more away from the liquid and only taste it. Also, I know I mentioned this earlier in response to your original request, but I really have to recommend again the nectar, especially if you don't like milk because they are all able to be mixed with Water and taste good. Check out those threads because I give more info about it (I don't want to just keep posting the same thing over and over)! Good luck!

Help! I am on day 2 of my two week pre-op liquid diet and I am feeling terribly sick to my stomach. I hope I can make it to my surgery date. All this liquid is making me queasy and bloated. I have a lactose intolerance but I am using Lact-Aid and buying lactose-free milk. I am using Gas-X strips also. Did any of you experience this? Any tips on how to get through it? Even just using Water does not help. :tongue_smilie:

Hi Dianne ~ I am on day 2 of the pre-op liquid diet as well. My surgeon has me on the New Direction Sytem directed diet. It consists of shakes (which are awful) and Soups (which are quite good). First day was pretty tough. For some reason, I was bloated and felt a bit light-headed. I made it through day 1 and feel a bit better today. I spoke to my doctor and he indicated that ketosis is reached within three days and I should begin to get acclimated to the reduced calories. Have you communicated with your doctor?

TAD

Hi Beverly,

I had no problem with milk products when doing my liquid pre op. I was banded Thursday July 10 and I now cannot drink milk products. I was drinking slimfast and I was getting so bloated with gas I thought something was wrong with the band. It really scared me. I called the Doctor yesterday and they told me to not drink any Protein shakes that are milk based. Now I'm back on just broth, Crystal Light, and sugar free popcicles. Please let me know if you find a good source of Protein that is not milk based.

Thanks,

Waynette

Waynette,

here is a list of clear Proteins that my nutritionist found for me

unjury (www.unjury.com_)

*Unjury strawberry Sorbet Mixed with Water (100 calories, 20 grams of Protein)

*Unjury Unflavored mixed with clear liquid beverages (20 grams or protein)

*Unjury chicken Soup Flavor mixed with warm Water (21 grams of Protein)

-Pro-stat 64 (www.pro-stat.com/pro-stat_64.asp) (1 ounce equals 15 grams of Protein, 60 calories)

-Resource Beneprotein (6 grams of Protein per scoop) –find at Walgreens

-www.bariatrix.com

*Gelatins (16 grams of protein)

*Proti-15 Soups (15 grams of protein)

*Proti-15 Cold drinks (15 grams of protein)

hope it helps..

I am getting banded on July 23 the day after my Birthday.....I will be celebrating with my clear liquids......LOL

Hi Beverly,

I had no problem with milk products when doing my liquid pre op. I was banded Thursday July 10 and I now cannot drink milk products. I was drinking slimfast and I was getting so bloated with gas I thought something was wrong with the band. It really scared me. I called the Doctor yesterday and they told me to not drink any Protein Shakes that are milk based. Now I'm back on just broth, Crystal Light, and sugar free popcicles. Please let me know if you find a good source of Protein that is not milk based.

Thanks,

Waynette

I bought Isopure at GNC. One bottle is 40g of protein. It comes in several flavors.

I went and got some Isopure today. Doesn't taste good to me, but I will force myself to drink it for the Protein. I also bought a New whey protein shot (42 grams). Haven't tried that one yet.

Thanks for the info.

I know, it has an aftertaste. I drank the pineapple today...not too bad. The guy at GNC told me the bullets have caffeine in them, so I did not buy any.