Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Sleeve

congrats I am 3 weeks post op today. I love the sleeve, No hunger, I did start eating after 2 weeks and it has stalled my weight loss. Up till then I had lost 29 lbs. I will have to get the icecream and Cookies out of my diet. Jlweb55

I am 4 weeks post op today, I have gained 5 lbs since I started eating regular food 2 weeks ago. I had lost 29 lbs with the prediet and 2 weeks after surgery. I am worried. Let me know what happens when you go on solids . thanks Judylwebster@aol.com

just letting everyone know that i am 7 days post-op and feel great, i do not feel hungary and i am just on liquids for 3 weeks its awesome not to feel hungary. Oh and i have lost 20 lbs since surgury freaking amazing. If anyone has any questions hit me up and i will answer them.

1st, i would like to say congratulations and i am glad your doing well, with all do respect, can i ask your height and wieght and why you chose sleeve? Was it do to your weight? My doctor has recomended the sleeve for me when i originally went in for the lapband, so thats why i am curious as to your height and wieght. And one last question if i may my most frighting one, was it a lot of pain?

GREAT!!!!!! and you wont stop loosing either... im now 251 from 375 w00t... Glad you got it done.. dont forget to always carry a bottle of Water or gatorade with you as you need at least 48 ozs of Fluid a day or more to keep hydrated... it will take alot to get use to but you can do it! (PSS dont sneak any food let your tummy heal on the inside as its much needed) and when you do begin eating take it super slow and only take a couple of bites at first you wont know your 2 full until its 2 late. be careful ive been to the bathroom a couple times and dont really enjoy that hehe. let me know if you need any help im here for you!

I choose the Sleeve for a few reasons, 1) I dont have to worry about the band eroding, slipping, port failing or having a foreign object in my body or to get fills done all the time and if done in Mexico for 6500 or whatever than fills run around 400 each in the states at like fill centers usa by the time your fills are done you have exceeded the 9500 for the sleeve. 2) more success on the weight loss quicker and comparable to the gastric bypass but less invasive, lets face it if the lapband did not work for you and you didnt loose the weight than your kinda stuck out the money you have already spent, now your going to spend 9500 more for something else? I needed a full proof plan to loose weight. I also heard from several people that it does not really make you full that it feels like the food is stuck with the LAPBAND. The gastric sleeve still works like a stomach is suppose to work but will not have to take Vitamins or anything like that becuase its just a restrictive surgury. I can go on and on LOL, If you have any more specific questions please ask I will do my best to answer them :thumbup:

Congratulations on your surgery, initially when deciding to do the LP. and seeing the doctor, he suggested for me it would be best to do the Sleeve, may I (with all do respect, of course) ask your height and wight prior to surgery? And how much you have lost to date? I am trying to better understand the success of the surgery vs the lapband given the recomendation of the doctor.

thanks

5'11" and 375 LBS I am now 253 lost 122 LBS since May 21st of 08.. Please ask all the questions you want this is a support forum... Best Of Luck.

James

Congratulations on your surgery. May I ask (with all do respect) your height and weight to get a better idea of how effective the Sleeve is in comparassion to the Lap band? And why did you choose the sleeve, I went in to see a doctor initially to get a consultation for the LP, and he highly recommended the Sleeve for me, so I am really trying to understand a little better, so how much have you lost to date? And how many days are you post opp I was planning on going in, in 4 weeks.

Thanks,

GREAT!!!!!! and you wont stop loosing either... im now 251 from 375 w00t... Glad you got it done.. dont forget to always carry a bottle of Water or gatorade with you as you need at least 48 ozs of Fluid a day or more to keep hydrated... it will take alot to get use to but you can do it! (PSS dont sneak any food let your tummy heal on the inside as its much needed) and when you do begin eating take it super slow and only take a couple of bites at first you wont know your 2 full until its 2 late. be careful ive been to the bathroom a couple times and dont really enjoy that hehe. let me know if you need any help im here for you!

Congratulations on your surgery. May I ask (with all do respect) your height and weight to get a better idea of how effective the Sleeve is in comparassion to the Lap band? And why did you choose the sleeve, I went in to see a doctor initially to get a consultation for the LP, and he highly recommended the Sleeve for me, so I am really trying to understand a little better, so how much have you lost to date? And how many days are you post opp I was planning on going in, in 4 weeks.

Thanks,

I have the sleeve it was done on may 21st of 2008, to date over 120 lbs lost in going on 5 months. The sleeve is where they remove 80% of your stomach however they also remove grehllin which slows your metabolism and also sends signals to your brain that your hungary so you will no longer feel hunger pangs. The lapband is a foreign object placed around your top of the stomach and tightened with a saline solution so that you eat less but your stomach stays in tact. I have heard good success stories but heard alot of bad stories to, problem is you still feel hungary even when you just ate becuase your stomach hasnt even got the food that you just ate until later on. Feel free to ask more questions if you like but this post looks to be the exact same post you posted before that i replied to.

I have the sleeve it was done on may 21st of 2008, to date over 120 lbs lost in going on 5 months. The sleeve is where they remove 80% of your stomach however they also remove grehllin which slows your metabolism and also sends signals to your brain that your hungary so you will no longer feel hunger pangs. The lapband is a foreign object placed around your top of the stomach and tightened with a saline solution so that you eat less but your stomach stays in tact. I have heard good success stories but heard alot of bad stories to, problem is you still feel hungary even when you just ate becuase your stomach hasnt even got the food that you just ate until later on. Feel free to ask more questions if you like but this post looks to be the exact same post you posted before that i replied to.

Removing the grehlin slows your metabolism down? Well that sucks because my metabolism is already at a snails pace as it is. :)

Removing ghrelin doesn't slow your metabolism. People with sleeves lose weight at the same rate and about the same amount as people with bypasses. Lap banders lose slower (on average).

It's also not true that you are still hungry after you eat with a band. The Lap Band is designed to mimic the pouch of the bypass without actually removing anything. The nerves that respond to the stretching of the stomach respond when you fill the pouch or, as it's technically called, the pre-stomach. Then the food slowly trickles into the main stomach in order to be digested. But the full signal should have been sent by then.

The big problem I see with the band and hunger is that you need proper restriction to get that "full" signal. Sometimes it takes a while to get it. Some people never get it. Some people get it and then lose it. So they are hungry.

This is something I couldn't take. To go through all that -- pre-op testing, surgery, having to chew my food into mush -- and still be hungry? I would have gone mad! :)

Another issue is that there is not as much ghrelin reduction with a band as with a sleeve. With a sleeve, you get almost no ghrelin at first and eventually you get normal ghrelin. With a band, there is no impact on ghrelin. This also sucks because ghrelin stimulates the appetite. Here's a study comparing ghrelin levels with sleeves vs. bands:

http://www.bernhard-ludvik.at/download/pub/2005_ref61.pdf

no grehllin slows your metabolism, it is removed during the Sleeve surgury so your metabolism sky rockets... its a awesome deal hehe...

no grehllin slows your metabolism, it is removed during the Sleeve surgury so your metabolism sky rockets... its a awesome deal hehe...

Oh ok, read your post the wrong way. LOL Thanks goodness!!

Which doctor in mexico did you use? Do you have any regrets or have had any complications? I hope you are still doing well with losing your weight.

Removing ghrelin doesn't slow your metabolism. People with sleeves lose weight at the same rate and about the same amount as people with bypasses. Lap banders lose slower (on average).

It's also not true that you are still hungry after you eat with a band. The Lap Band is designed to mimic the pouch of the bypass without actually removing anything. The nerves that respond to the stretching of the stomach respond when you fill the pouch or, as it's technically called, the pre-stomach. Then the food slowly trickles into the main stomach in order to be digested. But the full signal should have been sent by then.

The big problem I see with the band and hunger is that you need proper restriction to get that "full" signal. Sometimes it takes a while to get it. Some people never get it. Some people get it and then lose it. So they are hungry.

This is something I couldn't take. To go through all that -- pre-op testing, surgery, having to chew my food into mush -- and still be hungry? I would have gone mad! :w00t:

Another issue is that there is not as much ghrelin reduction with a band as with a sleeve. With a sleeve, you get almost no ghrelin at first and eventually you get normal ghrelin. With a band, there is no impact on ghrelin. This also sucks because ghrelin stimulates the appetite. Here's a study comparing ghrelin levels with sleeves vs. bands:

http://www.bernhard-ludvik.at/download/pub/2005_ref61.pdf

I"m not sure I agree that sleeved folks lose at the same rate as bypass, at the end of five years we have lost as much as a bypass patient but they lose faster.

They are eating about the same number of calories as we are but they are malabsorbing 1/3 of their calories so naturally they are going to lose faster.