Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Sleeve

I knew about the hormone issue, just forgot to mention it----but I didn't know any of the rest--thanks for setting me straight and enlightening me as well!!! Like I say, I really like being informed about options in WLS----so many people ask me about it now!

Thanks again!

Kat

Just as different people have different heart problems and need different types of heart surgeries- so too do different people have different circumstances and need different types of weight loss surgeries. It is not that "your surgery choice" might not be the best surgery out there, but rather, is it the best surgery for you.

A really top notch, crackerjack surgeon can, and does, perform all four types of weight loss surgeries. RNY, duodenal switch, lap band, and vertical sleeve. When I saw my surgeon at Mount Sinai in NYC I was in an informational group of 5 women. The women I shared the group meeting with probably varied from a BMI of 60 plus to 37, in age from 55 plus to early twenties, had vastly different insurance policies and types of jobs, etc... you get the picture. The surgeon clearly and carefully used a chart to explain the four types of surgeries, the risks, the benefits, and the types of patients he would recommend for each surgery.

We were then separated and went in to see him individually. I am sure you have all caught onto the punchline here. He recommended the gastric bypass for the woman who was in her 30s with a BMI of around 50, the gastric sleeve for the woman who was 55 who had a horrific heart condition, the lap band for the two women who had fairly low BMIs and a sleeve with a 1 in 10 chance of needing a duodenal switch followup for the woman with a BMI of 60.

The point is guys that insurance, BMI ratios, whether you live in an area accessible to a fill doctor, age, past medical history,... all of that figures into the equation.... one size (as we know better than most) does not fit all.

Unfortunately, not all of us are seeing crackerjack surgeons at bariatric centers of excellence. And therein lies the rub. In my case, I knew that the surgeons at Mount Sinai were perfectly capable of performing all 4 surgeries and that they were carefully evaluating my needs. Not all of us are so fortunate- which is why a forum devoted to weight loss surgery should educate us as to all of the available options. Once we know which options exist, then and only then can we go out and do additional research. Will we come back to the band? Will we realize that the sleeve is for us? Will we need the duodenal switch? Do your homework, and then, without preconceived notions, make the best choice for YOU. The beauty of the internet is that an informed decision can be made after as little as 10 days or so of research and one really good doctor's visit. Good luck, and good choosing to all.

Oh, I totally agree. Wasabubblebutt had a sleeve done after having problems with the band (as well as a great success with it) and she came back on here to tell everyone about how she was doing and to answer questions. The difference was the approach she took. She came back VERY careful not to make the band look like the BAD choice but to educate.

When this thread was opened it came off as a sales pitch. I'm sure the person who opened it believed they were doing the right thing but I, as well as other people, got the impression that it was in fact a my surgery is better than your's situation.

As I said earlier, my co-worker has had the sleeve done and is extremely happy with the results. I am extremely happy for her. She did what she felt was right for her and I did what was right for me.

Anyone who is looking into WLS and does not do their research is playing with a gun without knowing which end to point at the target. It usually only leads to disaster. I'm a firm believer that the important thing is to loose the excess weight no matter how you do it. Ok, let's put as long as it's a healthy way to do it. I would have done the GB if that is the only way to have lost the weight. That statement is made by someone who is TERRIFIED of that surgery. But I was more terrified of dieing.

Here's to WLS and a healthy outcome.

Interestingly enough when I first began this journey I read wasabubblebutts description of the band. About a week later she went with the conversion to the sleeve so I learned about that which was very helpful. Even more helpful was her post that sent me to an Australian sleevers forum. Honestly I walked into the doctor's office assuming with my heart condition that I would be walking out with information on the band. I was quite surprised when I walked out with the information on the sleeve. Evidentally it is so dangerous to put me under anesthesia that he felt he could not risk the band and he definitely would not risk the rny surgery for me. So Bubblebutts journey was helpful since I knew enough about the sleeve walking in, that I was able to roll with the punches and not panic. So she did me a great service, and I do love the Australian forum even though I am out of NYC. Good luck with the band.

I'm posting today, not to promote one surgery over the other but to promote the lap band talk site-for it was extremely helpful in helping me make an informed decision. After reading various experiences of banders (good and bad) I came to the conclusion that the sleeve would fit my needs, health and personality better-i've had the sleeve operation and it's perfect for me- thanks to Lap Band Talk and the ability to educate oneself.

I've added a new section to LBT which addresses other weight loss surgeries. Please see http://www.lapbandtalk.com/forum.php#other-weight-loss-surgeries-new

Advantages and Disadvantages of Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy

Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy Advantages

• Reduces stomach capacity but tends to allow the stomach to function normally so most food items can be consumed, albeit in small amounts.
  • Eliminates the portion of the stomach that produces the hormones that stimulates hunger (Ghrelin).
  • Dumping syndrome is avoided or minimized because the pylorus is preserved.
  • Minimizes the chance of an ulcer occurring.
  • By avoiding the intestinal bypass, almost eliminates the chance of intestinal obstruction (blockage), marginal ulcers, anemia, osteoporosis, Protein deficiency and Vitamin deficiency.
  • Very effective as a first stage procedure for high BMI patients (BMI > 55 kg/m2).
  • Limited results appear promising as a single stage procedure for low BMI patients (BMI 30-50 kg/m2).
  • Appealing option for people who are concerned about the complications of intestinal bypass procedures or who have existing anemia, Crohn’s disease and numerous other conditions that make them too high risk for intestinal bypass procedures.
  • Appealing option for people who are concerned about the foreign body aspect of Banding procedures.
  • Can be done laparoscopically in patients weighing over 500 pounds, thereby providing all the advantages of minimally invasive surgery: fewer wound and lung problems, less pain, and faster recovery.

Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy Disadvantages

• Potential for inadequate weight loss or weight regain. While this is true for all procedures, it is theoretically more possible with procedures that do not have an intestinal bypass.
  • Higher BMI patients will most likely need to have a second stage procedure later to help lose the rest of the weight. Remember, two stages may ultimately be safer and more effective than one operation for high BMI patients. This is an active point of discussion for bariatric surgeons.
  • Soft calories such as ice cream, milk shakes, etc can be absorbed and may slow weight loss.
  • This procedure does involve stomach stapling and therefore leaks and other complications related to stapling may occur.
  • Because the stomach is removed, it is not reversible. It can be converted to almost any other weight loss procedure.
  • Considered investigational by some surgeons and insurance companies.

I would like to reverse the question to you---what happens if the Gastric Sleeve fails you? Your remaining stomach stretches sooner than expected, or stitch/staple lines fail, or your remaining stomach ulcerates? What are YOUR options?

What is the surgeons stance on pregnancy following the Gastric Sleeve? If one cannot take in more than 2-3 ounces of food, and metabolism is slowed....is that healthy for pregnancy?

Kat

If it fails, then you do the next step. It is called the duodenal switch. Big success rate. :-) :-)

You can get pregnant after the sleeve, they just ask that you wait a year before doing so. :tt2:

I am new here, but I wanted to add my 2cents. I had the band and worked so hard at it. I worked with my surgeon and dietian. The band did NOT work for me, but it was because I have rheumatoid arthritis. I did NOT know this before I got the band, but the band triggered my symptoms because of a foreign object inside of me. RA is an auto-immuned disease, which makes your body attack itself...the good cells, which causes inflammation and joint deformaties. I live in pain everyday and can't wait to have my band removed. Therefore, I am grateful for options like the gastric sleeve. I do NOT want my intestines rerouted and the sleeve does not mess with the intestines. I feel so fortunate that I have this option and I am so so so glad that ace started posting here. I need support just people who have the band and the band is working for them. I need support. I can't even get onto obesity help because my stupid computer freezes when I get on that site. I WISH SO BAD I caould go to a site for JUST gastric sleeve, but I can't, so can I please get some support here????? Because I am dealing with obesity just like those who have the band, gastric bypass, DS and whatever other surgery is out there for weight loss. I need some kindness and I really don't want to go to a site where all there is to read is how everyone is all sensitive over who's surgery is the BETTER one. For goodness sake can we be adults and just support one another NO MATTER WHAT SURGERY YOU HAD????:lol:

I wish someone who can make a new site for JUST VSG/gastric sleeve would do so. I have no clue how to or I would do it myself. For goodness sake.

AND....Can't people look up information themselves to find out the FACTS instead of just thinking you know what is what without even investigating everything? I mean please, if you are going to make an arguement then have proof to back up your arguement.

It is ok to have the band, or the sleeve, or gastric bypass, or the DS. One isn't cut out for everyone. That is why there are several surgeries. Come on it isn't about who has the bigger house or nicer car here. We are all trying to get healthy and feel better, so can we try and help everyone get there no matter what surgery they had or want to get???

I feel better already, just from getting all that off my chest.

I wish everyone well on their weight loss journey, no matter what surgery you have or are going to get.

You can have all the support you need right here... I posted here for support but then people started bashing the thread "Oh Well" I move on... But im here and there are several others who had it done here as well... feel free to PM me anytime you want!

Sleeversforums.motionforum

LavenderRose,

Type in the above address or enter

Australia sleeve motion forum in your search engine. The administrator, Hayley can be easily reached if you have trouble registering. About 100 active members only- all sleevers or about to be sleevers. Virtually no misinformation. Warm, kind and extremely informative. Remember that Australia is 12 hours off of us so if you leave Hayley a message she probably won't get back until the next day.

Quite a few people who transitioned from the band due to problems.

Expect to see you there

asnewme1.

Hi Karen,

OH.com is the site that my computer freezes everytime I go to it. It is too much of a hassel to deal with it. My computer doesn't freeze at any other site, so it must me something with that site that my computer doesn't like. I am not going to do anything different with my computer, like mess with Cookies because then it messes up my husbands sites that he goes to. So, OH is not an option for me. Too bad, it really did seem like a nice site. If I am ever at the library, which isn't often, I will try it there. But thank you anyway for letting me know about it. That was nice of you to take the time to refer me to it.