Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How often do you weigh yourself??

How often do you weigh yourself?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How often do you weigh yourself?

OMG I am trying to obstain from the scale. Currently I have three days under my belt. I am shooting for a solid week. (Deep breath) Only 4 more days to go.:wink2:

I typically weight morning and night. At first any gain would drive me crazy, but not anymore. I have since learned that my weight can fluctuate anywhere between 1 to 4 pounds in any given day. I also learned that I always gain 2-5 pounds during TOM that immediately comes off when it is finished.

Because of these fluctuations, I never change my current weight values unless I have stayed at a certain weight 3-5 days in a row. I found that it was really depressing to post I am at # weight and find for the next several days I am a few pounds over. For instance, I have been at 179 in the morning for 2 days now, but I am not ready to Celebrate hitting the 170's until I have a couple more days in :0).

OH MY GOSH - this is exactly me!! :wink2: - I give my self 3 days in a row before I claim that weight. I get really excited when I hit that new number (when it is a goal #) and do get a little down when it doesn't stay, but I know in a few days If I keep up my good habits, that number will stick

When Aunt Flo arrives I am guareenteed 4-6lbs BUT if I am exercising and eating really good and dont cave into cravings during that time I will loose the Water gain and then some :lol:) that is always fun.

I am only going to weigh myself 1x a month... because I know depending on what time of the month it is I may retain more Water and fluid.. and I don't want to upset myself. I am really anal about things like that. As long as i am working out, eating right and drinking fluid.. I can actually tell when i am burning fat because I will go to the bathroom to pee like every hour on the hour for a week straight and I know that is pure fat loss.... and when i step on the scale it is like my best friend so I will leave it up to the pee test...lol and be surprised at my monthly weigh in....

When I change my diet, increase or decrease my calories, I will weigh every day to try to get a feel for whether the change I've made is good or bad. I really don't want to live by the scale -- I mean, yes, I need to keep track of whether the scale is going up or down but I want to just be in the habit of making healthy choices and know that as long as I do that, the weight will come off at its own pace without me obsessing about the scale. Of course, that's easier said than done. Most of the time I try to weigh just once a week, but I find that I sneak in one or two extra times on the scale during the week. I never weigh myself at night, I figure there's too much fluctuation there depending on what I've eaten that day, how long ago I ate, how long ago I had a bowel movement. I trust that first thing every morning, stark naked, is the most consistent weight I'm going to get.

If I don't weigh every day - how would I know my scale left the land of the "300's" today??!!!??? Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8-)

There should be an option in the poll for this: In morning before I pee, after I pee, after I get dressed, after Breakfast, after working out, before dinner, after dinner, before my shower, after my shower with soaking wet hair, after pj's one, one last time naked before bed, rinse, repeat. Ok, so this might be a SLIGHT exaggeration....

lol... too funny.. but u know I use to do the same exact thing.... and it seemed like it wouldnt move, but when i went to my Dr's apt once a month i was down like 15 to 23lbs... so i was always shocked....

I will probably weigh more frequently post-op. Right now, the scale goes up and down so much that it can be discouraging if I think I have been doing well and the scale moves in the wrong direction! :incazzato:

There should be an option in the poll for this: In morning before I pee, after I pee, after I get dressed, after breakfast, after working out, before dinner, after dinner, before my shower, after my shower with soaking wet hair, after pj's one, one last time naked before bed, rinse, repeat. Ok, so this might be a SLIGHT exaggeration....

OK ginger, stop peeping through my bathroom window and then coming on here telling everybody about my scale habits! I don't even appreciate it! :incazzato:

But while you are playing, I weigh myself several times a day, many of those are moments you just posted, actually. If I use the bathroom, go in the bathroom, pass the bathroom, think about the scale, feel a moment of lightness, expel gas, burp, etc. Any ole excuse to peep at the numbers and see what does and doesn't affect them. Sick, I know, but I can't help myself!

Edited by MSnika3

I've always weighed myself first thing in the morning, nude after I pee. I'm 5 days post-op, and I'm still doing it. I like seeing the minor fluxuations, because I wouldn't want to get on once a week or once a month and not understand why I went up or down 5lbs (because of TOM or something). I'm not afraid of a trend - if it's in the wrong direction that's a good indictation I need to look at making a change.

Right now, 5 days post-op, I'm so not freaking out that I'm barely dropping any weight (only 2lbs since my just before surgery weigh-in) because I know that the focus is on healing, I'm bloated like crazy, and I'm still dehydrated because I'm still having trouble getting in enough fluids. I figure I'll see a change in a week or so when the swelling goes down more and I can start flushing out some of this excess bloat, but I'm not expecting to see any huge drops like some people have experienced. I think if I wasn't weighing daily, I might have hoped for that and been disappointed at my 2 week follow up.

Always ;-)

Hunzi

still working on the basics of drinking more than a few oz of Water a day!

YUP! It is my secret vice. I gave up food but I wont give up the scale!! I cant tell you how many times I stripped down naked after weighting myself just to do it again naked. That is ok, I have embraced my inner dork. :party:

OK ginger, stop peeping through my bathroom window and then coming on here telling everybody about my scale habits! I don't even appreciate it! :P

But while you are playing, I weigh myself several times a day, many of those are moments you just posted, actually. If I use the bathroom, go in the bathroom, pass the bathroom, think about the scale, feel a moment of lightness, expel gas, burp, etc. Any ole excuse to peep at the numbers and see what does and doesn't affect them. Sick, I know, but I can't help myself!

Ugh, I weigh every day, and it drives me mad. The constant messing around with 2 lbs. I'm trying to wean myself off of daily and work my way to weekly....I know I'll see a more "real" number that way...but it's so hard! Cause some days, you really do see a 2lb loss that sticks, and that keeps me going back to the scale....

Tina

There should be an option in the poll for this: In morning before I pee, after I pee, after I get dressed, after Breakfast, after working out, before dinner, after dinner, before my shower, after my shower with soaking wet hair, after pj's one, one last time naked before bed, rinse, repeat. Ok, so this might be a SLIGHT exaggeration....

LOL!! Hehehehe!!!!!!

I was really wondering how I should break down the timeframes! Having only four choices helped. I am glad I started this thread, it has been very eye opening (and amusing at times!).

I agree!.. In the past I always weighed in once a week.. but my father (an engineer).. has always told me that weighing in once a week misses the patterns.. you need to note your weight everyday to see the pattern emerge for weight loss. My Mum loses 1kg every 10 days (fluctuating daily).. my Dad loses 1kg every 7 days.

I used to get SO mad at Weight Watchers because I would always stay the same or gain!.. but when my father explained this basic fact.. I was stunned!.. I was weighing in on my heavy day!..

I personally now weigh everyday. And like other bandsters think of it as assisting me.. it is good to see little losses.. it makes the weigh in at the docs easier to bare when I have gained a little..

I will be watching my weight daily post op!.. and plotting my numbers on a graph!. .it will be very interesting to see a pattern develop!..