Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Surgery Day Stories

My surgery date was 8/24/10. My band was placed at Vanderbilt by Dr. Williams. I arrived at check-in at 0900. Everyone was pleasant. I had very little wait time before I was taken to a room to be prepped. The tech and nurse were great. Let me tell you, I have no veins! I knew this going in. One failed IV on the back of my hand and a lengthy search for another vein ended with a much smaller needle (22 gauge vs 18 gauge) being placed on the inside of my wrist. It was painful but I was glad to have it. The anesthesiologist came to speak to me . He was very reassuring. He said that he would place another IV once I was out, probably in my neck. I thought that was a little extreme but I am a nurse and I know he knows his job and I would rather have a good IV for emergencies. I ended up with two additional lines, one in the top of my ankle and one in my chest. So after waiting with my husband, they came to get me. This is the point I thought I would cry or have second thoughts, but I didn't. I kissed my husband and chatted with the anesthesiologists on the way down the hall. Once into the OR, I moved myself over onto the bed and they started strapping me down and arranging things. The anesthesiologist leaned over me and said, "Do you have a dream picked out?" I told him no. He said, "You better think of one" and that's all I remember.

I woke up once briefly hearing myself begging someone to help me. I woke up another time to the anesthesiologist asking if he could pull the tube (this one was probably first) and he pulled it. I felt it come out my nose. I gradually woke up but had spent quite some time in recovery because I had been extremely nauseous (I overheard the nurses reporting off to each other) and they had medicated me and it made me sleepy. So my surgery was at 1100 and I didn't leave recovery until around 5pm. I got to another room, my family came in. I got up and went to the bathroom, took some pain meds and anti-nausea meds and after taking ice chips fine I was ready to go. The first night was rough because there was so much swelling in my upper abdomen from all of the manipulation in that area and the liquid Lortab wasn't halping until I got a few doses of it on board. I had some shoulder pain due to gas but not as much as I thought I would have.

I am now 9 days post-op and have done great. I went back yesterday for my first visit and had lost 16 pounds from three days before the surgery when I started Clear Liquids. Tonight it appears I have an infection around the port site but am on antibiotics and am hoping for that to settle down shortly. I think this is going to be a very positive thing in my life and once I get through this initial rough patch I have confidence that things will get much better!:)

I am 46, male, was banded 9/2/2010 at Baptist in Nashville, TN. I live 120 miles from Nashville but chose Baptist b/c their drs do so many bariatric procedures I preferred the experience over the close clinics to home.

I arrived at registration at 0630 having been told I was second in the schedule. It didn't take long before we (family & I) were called to the 7th floor surgery waiting room. After another ten minutes I was called back to the prep room. I was introduced to several nurses, anesthetists, all telling me what they would be doing and what to expect, allowed to ask questions etc. I was told to completely undress except for my socks and to put the hospital gown on. The MD anesthesiologists came in to start my IV and after we chatted about how difficult my veins were he rubbed around on my arm and said there, all done. I didn't feel so much as a prick, I told him that med school sure paid off for him, he quipped, "what med school? I'm the plumber from downstairs!" A few more questions, consents, compression hose, blood thinner injection (boy that one burned) and routine such and so. Finally my wife and daughter were brought into the room and the dr came in and chatted and asked if I was anxious, I said I was good. After about another hour the nurse came in and said they were ready, told my wife & daughter that she would take them to the waiting area, they kissed my and we parted ways. I do not remember going down the hall, the dr had suggested that the patch behind my ear for nausea would give me retrograde amnesia, I remember the nurse laughing with him about that & me saying that was so on the follow up I wouldn't remind him that he had hurt me, perhaps it did give me amnesia for that part.

I recall waking up in recovery and the male RN was right beside me and the nurses that had worked with me earlier were across the hall like at a desk and we chatted as I tried really hard to stay awake. After some time elapsed I was told it was time to go to X-ray and have an upper GI, if that all checked, I would need to pee on my own then I could go home.

I was taken down to xRay and felt every bump in the hall and elevators. When I arrived in XRay the dr told me that I would be swallowing the barium as he was taking pictures, it would be just a few minutes. I could see all of the techs in the other room as they started opening their take out trays and eating lunch, I could not believe I was made to lay on that table for 30 minutes while they took lunch! Finally they came in and asked me to slide to the x-ray table and they put me at about a 45 degree angle, the tech started having me drink the barium from a straw, half getting it in the barium and half sucking air, I remember being told that straws would be a no no from now on. At this point I started having excruciating pain in my esophagus and chest, I told them I could not swallow and felt I could not breath. they gave me some Water and said to swallow that, I said if I can't swallow how? the dr told me to "dry swallow" several times, but I couldn't get relief. He said "somethings not right, I'm calling the dr." I think I panicked at this point. He came back into the room and said dr said to give it 24 48 hrs, we're going to take you back to recovery.

I got back in recovery still in major pain in my chest and trying to breathe. The nurse continued to tell me when I could pee on my own I'd go home. I told her somethings not right, I cannot go home like this. She got me up, walked me, took me to the bathroom, walked me some more, but I could not void. About this time my wife and daughter (who is an RN) came into the recovery. The nurse started telling my wife the discharge instructions as soon as I voided we could go. I began to cry the pain was so intense. I had had a couple doses of the Lortab elixir and dillantin (sp) by this time but the pain in my chest would not subside. I sat on the side of the bed and told my wife I was going to throw up, about that time the barium and the water from x-ray came up. The nurse said she was calling the dr, now she felt something wasn't right-gee ya think!

as soon as she made that call, things began to move really quickly, she came back into the room and said that she didn't know what the dr was going to do, but he was on his way back over and she thought we were going back into surgery. By now I was crying with pain and fear. I could tell my wife was visibly anxious and I was trying to calm her. The anesthetists MD came into the room and told me that they were going to take me back into surgery and about that time my MD came back in and they talked together with us about what had happened. He explained that the band had completely closed due to quick swelling and fat that had been placed under the band. He said that no Fluid was in the band so it required going back in and revising the band. Within thirty minutes, I seem to remember being in the operating room with all of the lights and monitors, but I can't swear to that.

The next thing I recall for sure is waking up in recovery again. The same male RN as before and he was telling me that I needed to breathe deep through my nose where the oxygen was and let it out my mouth. I remember an alarm kept going off and he explained that the alarm was my oxygen levels and that they had gotten too low so I would need the oxygen and to breathe deep to keep the alarms from sounding. Of course breathing deep hurt like all get out and he said he understood that. I had a lot of attention the next couple hours from my dr and the anesthesiologists. My wife & daughter were finally allowed to come in. The dr came in and explained that what had happened only happens in about 1 in 2500 cases & I was it. He stated that because of the oxygen levels, the potential for swelling, and having had to be anesthetized twice in four hours, he would be admitting me to the hospital over night.

The night was uneventful, I was up every thirty minutes it seemed peeing after I finally started peeing. I was on oxygen all night and had a couple more blood thinner shots and vitals were checked quite often. I was taken for a walk in the hall and told to walk after that as much as I felt I could. Next morning the anesthetists came in at 0530 as asked how things were, & wished me luck. By 0630 my md came in and again explained that what happened was rare but that it did happen and he apologized and offered to answer any questions. he sat in a chair and chatted with us for about thirty minutes telling me again that I could go home but to stay on the liquids all weekend b/c of the swelling and progress to soft foods only as I felt I could swallow and tolerate them. It is now the end of day three post op and the soreness has been rather intense today. I have been sleeping in the recliner b/c trying to get up from a prone position in the bed is excruciating at the incision sites. Swallowing feels like there is a lump, but it does eventually go away especially if I can force a burp right after drinking. I wouldn't choose not to have done this at this point, I am just looking forward to the better days while dreading attempting work Tuesday.

I didn't post to scare anyone, just to say that this is surgery and there are risks with any surgery, but I thank God that I had an experienced staff and could not have asked for better care throughout this ordeal with maybe two exceptions. (xray techs at lunch and nurses that follow the letter of the orders rather than listening to the patients) Speak up for your self in the pre-op and post-op and have your loved ones there as your advocate to speak up for you if something doesn't feel right.

ok that's a crazy story kydman! It worries me only because i'm having this procedure done in Mexico, by myself! (and i don't speak spanish, lol) Thanks for sharing and here's hoping that situation is as rare as your doctor says!

I hope you're feeling better every day!

I was banded August 26th at Bon Secours Hospital in Port Jervis NY.

Monday the 23rd I went to my surgeons office for pre-op. There they told me that the hospital would be calling me on Wednesday to tell me when to be at the hospital. Wednesday morning a woman called me with some pre-op questions, and told me that someone would call between 2 and 5 to tell me what time to be there. When 5 came and went and no one had called, we called them. We were told someone would call after 6. We were out and had given our cell phone number and told them to call us there, but when 7 came and still no call, I called home and there was indeed a message from the hospital. It said I had to call them back, so I did and I finally found out, after 7 pm, that I needed to be at the hospital at 6:45. Well, ok, but thanks for waiting so long to tell me. I live far from the hospital and if I had known any sooner I needed to be there that early, I would have stayed in a hotel near the hospital the night before.

So we woke up on Thursday morning and I dragged my feet and we left a little late. When we got to the hospital we went right up to the surgical floor. A man at a desk there called over to the pre-op room and told me to wait in the waiting room. 5 minutes later they called me to the pre-op room and told my husband to stay in the waiting room. I changed into my gown and put on paper socks. They weighed me and asked me a million questions, then brought me to a bed.

A nurse came over and my anesthesiologist. He was cute and reminded me of Ragan from this season of Big Brother, and he was very nice and funny so he put me at ease. The nurse tried to do my IV in my left hand but failed. Then the anesthesiologist did it in my left arm and it worked.

After that they came and said the doctor had arrived and we would be going in soon since I was first surgery of the day. I hadn't said goodbye to my husband because they told us we would see each other again, so I asked to see him. The nurse said we will call for him. She left and came back and asked did you see him, and I said no. So she went and got him herself. I gave him a quick kiss, got teary eyed, and I was off. I never saw the doctor before surgery, and I didn't like that I only saw my husband for a few seconds.

After I got in the operating room, the anesthesiologist told me to get on the operating table, and then he put a mask on me and told me to take deep breaths, and that's all I remember. When I woke up in recovery, a nurse was calling my name and I kept trying to wake up but I couldn't keep my eyes open. She called me sleeping beauty. A few minutes (I think) later a nurse from the bariatric unit came and took me downstairs. When I got there they put socks on my feet and made me walk on my own into my room.

Once I was in the room they put the compression socks back on me and made me comfortable in my recliner. Then they asked if I had family and I said yes my husband is in the waiting room, so she went and got him. I later learned that when she came to get him it was the first time anyone had spoken to him since I left him; no one ever told him my surgery was over and I was ok.

When he got to the room, I tried to sleep because I was so groggy, but the constant pumping of the compression socks was annoying me. They gave me ice and told me to eat/drink it slowly. I remember drifting in and out of sleep and taking lots of sips for awhile. Around 1 pm, I finally wanted to walk, so the nurse got me up and helped me walk down the hallway. They took the compression socks off me and after that I was able to sleep good because it was no longer annoying me.

I continued to get up every half hour or so and take a walk, and the nurse kept asking me if I peed. So eventually I went and tried to get her to stop asking. I didn't feel I needed to go, but once I got there, I peed a lot, lol. The fluids from the IV really worked. So after that she told me I could go home, but that the doctor had just finished his last surgery so I could wait for him to come down if I wanted, so I did.

Once he came down he talked to me for a few minutes. I had thought I had to wait until my first appointment on Tuesday to move to full liquids, but he told me I could start on Monday. I told him he made my day. After that the nurse came in and gave me my post op instructions, I changed into my dress and we left.

We stayed at a hotel that night because we wanted to be close to the hospital, so as soon as we got there I took my pain med. Then I started the sipping for 20 minutes, then walking. I felt pretty good and was even able to talk to my mom and a co-worker on the phone. I watched Big Brother and was watching Big Brother after dark (which starts at midnight) when I fell asleep in the chair. We set an alarm to wake up at 4 for my next pain med and at that point I moved to the bed and slept on my back. I slept until 9 am.

Overall it went way better than I expected and I was in less pain than I thought.

I received my band yesterday (9/13/10). So, Sunday night I coulnd't sleep - a little like a kid on christmas and some nervousness about the decision I had made. I dreamt I was stuck in a huge grocery store all night....AAAHHHHHHHH.

I was the first case monday morning, did the whole "pee in the cup", then the got dressed into the sexy, designer gown (not), put my SCDs on for DVT prevention and had my IV started.

In addition to some fluids, I was given some prophylatic antibiotics..the Anesthesiologist, the CRNA, the PA and my surgeon stopped by to see me.

The actual procedure went well, woke up in Recovery with a sore belly. The RN was wonderful - got some pain medicine, had a popsicle and some propel Water. I was pretty drowsy so I think I stayed in recovery about 1 1/2 hours. Got out to the car and walked around a little - surprisingly this did make me feel a WHOLE lot better. Stopped at Walgreens on my way home to get my liquid crack (lortab). Got home, made myself a clear liquid Protein drink (used those Protein Shots you find a Kroger and mixed it in with a little fruit punch crystal light).

I anticipate that this will ruin fruit punch flavored drinks for me for a while....

I also have an On-Q pump - the front of my belly where my tiny insicions are is pretty numb. I sort of wish my port site had been more numb than it is - its probably the most sore of all the sites. My belly is sore, but nothing that is unbearable. This morning (9/14/) its actually more sore than yesterday....so I'll do some more walking around the block today.:thumbup:

I did a lot of walking around the house, getting up and down, doing my incentive spirometer. Took a nap after getting home and slept OK last night.

I can hardly wait to eat something other than clear liquids!!!! At this point I think I'd give my left arm for some cream of wheat or some yogurt....anything but broth, Jello, and fruit punch Protein drink!!!

So - to all those of you who are anticipating getting your band - good luck to you all. I hope your experience is much like mine!:)

Banded 9-24-2010, Hospital of St. Raphael, New Haven CT. Dr. Ursula McMillian

I arrived at 5:30 as told for a 7:00 surgery, was greeted by a friendly receptionist, and wisked to a private pre op room. There my nurse did the usual vitals, asked me a million questions, and started the IV. She also gave me a Heprin shot in the belly to prevent blood clots- THIS IS A TINY NEEDLE AND DOESNT HURT AT ALL. I'm a baby, and was dreading it for no reason. Dr. Mcmillian and Dr. Valin came to see me before the surgery and asked if I had any other questions or concerns. Because I know some of the anesthesia team, I had requested Dr. Rocco Marano for anesthesia, and Maryellen M. for my CRNA- they are all very good, but these two are the best! :drool:

I was promptly brought into the OR at 6:50 am, chatted a second or two with my CRNA and off to sleep I went. The team made my preop and surgery as much of a good expierience as possible.

I woke in the recovery room to find my daughter smiling at me, and found they had repaired a hiatial hernia. My only complaint is that when I asked the recovery room when I would be taken to my room, her response was "When I have time, I can't do everything here!" My daughter who is 23, and a nursing student, went up to her and said, "Don't be a bitch to my mother." I was moved within ten minutes!:)

I had my surgery 9-24 [a week ago] and I got there at 11:00, they took me back at 11:15. Had me get dressed in the gown, do all the necessary stuff. They stuck my IV into my lower left arm, and i was rolled into surgery.

The first thing I remember waking up was the immense pain. I immediately started crying and whimpering. [My mom was with me and she told me she could her me yelling out and crying]. I passed out again, and woke up later in a less amount of pain but it still being quite significant. I told the nurse and he took care of it right away and the pain faded. Only then did I realize that my IV was in my hand of my left arm and not in my arm.

They went to tell me that during the process of rolling me out of the OR to recovery my IV became un-attached to my arm, so all that wonderful pain medication wasn't going into my system, it was going on to the floor.

Though its no ones fault, its not something I'd like to repeat!

I had my surgery yesterday 10-1-10. I couldn't be happier with how it all went. Arrived at the hospital at 6am for a 7:30 surgery. Pre-op nurse was the best, got a shot of heprin and the IV started. They explained what the post op would consist of and then my dr. came in to chat with me and my husband and answer any questions. Finally the Anesthesiologist came in and chatted with me about the procedure. Then i was taken to the OR. All i recall is that they said they were giving me something in my IV to relax me, then they asked me to move to the OR table, so I scooted over and laid back. Put my arms on the arm trays and they put a mask on my and asked me to take a few deep breaths. Next I knew I was waking up in recovery and was super thirsty. Nurse gave me some swabs for my mouth and then a little while later she gave me some ice chips. By 10ish i was back in my room. Up and walking and peeing and then they gave me a breathing treatment since i felt like i needed to cough but was having a hard time. that helped a ton, after that I had some apple juice and then we got dressed and left. I was home by noon. All in all a great day. I'm sore today but nothing out of the ordinary. I took some of the liquid pain meds both last night and again this morning just trying to stay ahead of the pain. I have 5 incisions and after while i was in my post op room they were oozing a bit. Looks like they were sewn inside with only surgical tape on the outside. Nurse said the oozing was normal and she put some gause and tape on top of them. I get to shower today so i'm thrilled. I think I will feel so much better after that.

Ready Set Lose

On the day of my surgery, 09/08/10, we had severe storms in the area. There were tornadoes not that far away and my city's tornado siren went off at about 5:30p. I found myself only hours after surgery, standing in my closet (the safest place for during a tornado in my house), clutching a small pillow to my stomach. I couldn't sit down, because there was no way to be comfortable and/or to get down/get up by myself. My husband was in another part of the house (he's never gets as worried as I do). So, I hid in the closet for about 15 minutes until it was safe to come out.

bnwalker23 - you poor thing. i can't even imagine waking up like that with no pain meds.

The healing process has began. My surgery went as usual, I had to be at Rush Northhshore Evanston at 9:30 am for a 11:30 am surgery. I arrived right on time, with my wife and 2yr old son. Thats when things started to move so fast, I began to get nervous. I was immediately taken back to a temporary room to get prepared, Thats when it all got very busy, my 2 yr old all over the place, my anethesiologist, my nurse, and someone trying to get an IV started. I had just enough time to kiss my wife and baby before I was wisked away to the or, something was shot into my IV and lights out. I woke up in recovery not in much pain at all. I didnt really feel it until after I was discharged and sent home the next day to rest. I guess it was those good pain meds I was getting in the hospital. For those having surgery we have a tendency to do a lot of research before surgery, and we expect it to go according to what someone else has posted, but we are each different and it dosent always comare to what someone else might have went through. So for all my future bandsters good luck and Gods speed with your recovery. :biggrin::thumbup:

Hi. I just read your surgery story. I am considering the Lap Band in Tiajuana and I was curious as to how you look back at your experience. Your surgery sounded positive. How is your journey going? Do you have any regrets? DRP

My Lap Band Surgery day was October 8th. I was nervous about the procedure, but was quickly put at ease by some of the most wonderful nurses and staff. I arrived at 10:15am and was taken back as soon as I walked in. I quickly changed into my OR clothing and the IV was started per the anesthesiologist after 2 attempts. The nurse gave me a little Versed IV and I was very calm...lol. I spoke with my surgeon and was taken back to the OR at 11:45. They were still setting up the tables around me as the nurse in Pre-op had broiught me back a little early. I was still very calm. They placed some more meds in my IV and placed the oxygen mask on my face. The next thing I remembered I was in Recovery being told to take in some deep breaths. I was not in pain at this time. :grouphug: It actually took my MD 56 minutes to complete the procedure. I was in and out resting at intervals and and aide tool me down to X-ray to complete the Barium Swallow..not hard to swallow at all. They then took me back to Recovery 2 and I was allowed to see my husband. In some pain but not overwhelming. I was given some Dilaudid IV. I then got up and walked and was able to urinate on my own. Within an hour I had my clothes on and was on my way home. The time I left the hospital was 4:00. I kept asking my husband if I had a Band inside of me..lol The incision sites were painful where the port was placed and the one right next to it. I did have some gas pains in my left shoulder. Walking was the key to getting rid of some of that gas, along with a heating pad on my back and ice on the incisions. This is my 5th day post op and I am trying to stay active but not overdo it. I took 2 weeks off because I had some time to burn but I am going to work a few hours over the next week. Over all I did have more pain that I did with my abdominal hysterectomy, but I would not change a thing. I keep looking outside of the box and into the future. I am learning lessons everyday. I REALLY understand why they say not to drink with a straw...lol. I learned that each patient is different than the other. I learned just how much support this site gives you..:smile:

Thanks,

Jill

HELP......one day post of and my pills are stuck. What can I do in the future to prevent this or help them go down. Some of them are not crushable

I am 5 days post op and I have to say that I can not believe this surgery was performed on an out-patient basis. I had my appendix out last month and the pain and discomfort doesn't even compare to what I have been through these past few days.

My surgery was at 1:30 in the afternoon. 2 seperate nurses tried unsuccessfuully to insert my IV lines. My husband who is a firefighter tells me that it's harder to find veins when patients don't have Fluid in them so I wasn't terribly alarmed.

The Dr. came in...flipped through the chart and then the nurse walked me to the OR. The anesthesiologist immediately gave me a sedative and the last thing I remember is asking him if he already gave me some medication. He answered yes and I woke up in recovery shaking violently and with such extreme pain in my chest and neck that I thought I was having a heart attack. The nurse put a heated blanket over me and told me that the pain was caused from the air that was forced in to the body cavity during the surgery. She told me the only way to get it out was to burp or pass gas. I continued shaking for at least 10 minutes. The nurse gave me diluidad for pain but nothing was helping. I felt as though they were in a hurry to get me out since bed space in the recovery area was limited. Within probably an hour on the dot she was putting my clothes on me and assisting me in to a wheel chair! I was wheeled out the back door to my car and spent an excutiating hour and 1/2 in rush hour traffic trying to get home. I had difficulty breathing because the air in my cavity was pressing against me lungs. Both my husband and I considered just going to an ER to help me breathe. It was by far the worse pain I have ever been in and I felt woefully unprepared for it. The next 3 days were among the worst of my life. I could not even get Water or pain meds in to my system. At my 4th day post op the Dr. took some air out of the band and I was able to drink about 3 oz of water today. Not nearly enough to keep me hydrated. I've had many moments of regret and it is difficult to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

This is not a surgery to be taken lightly.