Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Filled and eating WAY too Much..

I got my first fill today.

I didnt have any idea what band I had. So he would only put in 1.1cc

He thought maybe I had a vangard?? (its big)

(once home I found out my band holds 4cc)

I went to Denny's resturant about an hour later to 'see what happens'

2pm

I ate this much:

One motzerella stick

half an onion ring

two chicken strips (appetizer size)

3tbs BBQ Sauce

1/2 cup broccolii cream Soup

5 french fries, dips of ketsup

two bites biscuits and gravy

20 ounces milk

half a chocolate dipped cone from MCdonalds

(the whole cone)

Then at home I had

8pm

One mini corn muffin

and almost PB'd on it

Worst feeling I had since I first got home

But it subsided without inncident.

(my family was freaking out..lol)

then I tried some chilli at 9pm and was able to eat like 2 cups of it!

10pm

Then just now I ate 4 nutter butters with like 24 ounces of milk.

THIS IS NOT ENOUGH RESTRICTION OF COURSE.

I cant wait to go to the fill day in MAY!

Nykee,

First off, you need to find out what kind of band you have. I'm sure Dr. Ortiz has that information.

Secondly, did your doctor give you any post fill instructions about eating? After an adjustment, I am on liquids for 3 days. I realize that different doctors have different post fill instructions, but I've never heard of anyone "allowing" someone to eat solid food the same day let alone an hour after an adjustment.

You may not feel restriction after your first adjustment. You may not feel restriction after your second adjustment. You will just have to work with your doctor until you get the restriction level you need.

Did your doctor do your adjustment using Flouro?

Tricia's right, Nykee. Just about all docs I've ever heard of recommend AT LEAST 24 hours of liquids after a fill, waiting until the next day for solid food. Please take it SLOWLY today and stick with soft stuff.

And while it's very true that you might not feel restriction with your first fill, especially if the doctor is being cautious, you may also experience that common phenomenon of having a fill "kick in" after a week or so. So it's always a good idea to be cautious and give it a month or so before running to get more fill.

Nykee,

First off, you need to find out what kind of band you have. I'm sure Dr. Ortiz has that information.

>>>>>>>>>>I found out when I got home. Its a BioEntrics, 9.75/10.00cm band that holds 4cc fill volume.

Secondly, did your doctor give you any post fill instructions about eating?

>>>>>>>>>>>>.NO, no one said a single thing to me about that.

After an adjustment, I am on liquids for 3 days. I realize that different doctors have different post fill instructions, but I've never heard of anyone "allowing" someone to eat solid food the same day let alone an hour after an adjustment.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Like I said, no one said anything. He gave me a galss of Water to drink to make sure I could swallow and sent me on my way.

I guess it makes sense, now that you mention it.

Did your doctor do your adjustment using Flouro

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Yes, and he said he has to every time from now on, because the port id hard to find, deep and it moves..

Today at 11am I tried some grapenuts cerial.

I was only able to get 4 bites before the weird feelings came..

Two days ago I could of ate a cup and a half of them.

So, ITS working!!!

I am very happy.

Tricia's right, Nykee. Just about all docs I've ever heard of recommend AT LEAST 24 hours of liquids after a fill, waiting until the next day for solid food. Please take it SLOWLY today and stick with soft stuff.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>OK.. FROM THIS moment on I WILL!!!!!!!!

I bought pudding and Protein drinks and broth and stuff for this time/.. so I will use it.

Thank you guys..

My fill doc said i needed to go to some info meetings.. I guess I do..

Nykee, when I had my 2nd & last fill (back in Nov) I remember drinking my Water in the office and feeling it gurggle as it made its way down.... this is NOT something I experienced after my first fill.

*Although* both times I gained more restriction about 4-6 weeks later... you may the same!

Have you called your surgeons office to let them know how much you were able to eat?

Hi paula, I didnt feel anything with the Water.....

I think I will get a fill in May (like 1cc) and then wait to see what happens after that. Like you said, it might get tighter in the weeks following.

Its not my surgeon, just a fill doctor. I dont really wanna call him.

I feel alot more restriction than before, so I know all is well.

I have to take this thing like this:

>>>I will eat what I can eat without a PB or pain.<<<<<<<<

Thats all I can do right now. So fill restriction is important to me.

I wish I could work a program and be all good and such, but I just cant right now nor the 15 years I have been morbidly obsese......

I have been trying. If I had any control what so ever I may not have needed to do this band thing at all.

Nykee,

Please don't take my comments wrong. The reason why you need to be on liquids for a period of time after an adjustment is because there is usually swelling of the stomach after a fill. It's a small version of what you went through right after surgery. So it's a safety and health issue to take it easy after a fill.

I'm a little disappointed that your doctor didn't obtain information about your band before performing your adjustment. I'm very disappointed that he didn't give you any guidance after your adjustment either. You might want to consider calling his office and asking what his recommendations are after a fill.

Since you're feeling restriction now, it sounds like your fill did make a difference. Like Alex said, the band has a mind of it's own. After an adjustment sometimes you won't feel any restriction, then blamo! A few days or weeks later you've got it.

Continued good luck to you!!

Tricia

Please don't take my comments wrong.

>>>>>>>>>> I wont. I know whats up.. I appreciate it!

The reason why you need to be on liquids for a period of time after an adjustment is because there is usually swelling of the stomach after a fill. It's a small version of what you went through right after surgery. So it's a safety and health issue to take it easy after a fill.

>>>>>>>>I am getting that now, i dont know why I didnt think of that yesterday.. I hope its not swelling.. lol, I like the restriction I am feeling.

I have decided to just have soy milk and tomatoe Soup for today..

I'm a little disappointed that your doctor didn't obtain information about your band before performing your adjustment.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Well, I had already showed up, I am sure glad he didnt send me away.. he just did 1.1 cc just in case.. knowinf it was my first fill..

I'm very disappointed that he didn't give you any guidance after your adjustment either. You might want to consider calling his office and asking what his recommendations are after a fill.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Yeah, I think he exspects us to know more.,. I mean for ME to know more.. I am not good at that knowing stuff.

Continued good luck to you!!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>THANKS !!!!!

You look like a fill expert... lol

when i had my first fill (which was today!) i asked my doc if i should go on a liquid diet for a day or so and he said i should just eat normally but chew well. And that is what i have been doing. I can still eat quite a bit - hopefully i will get more restriction in a week or so

2cc fill.

I live in a small town and do not have access to fill doctors so I am afraid to get the lb done anywhere else even though I know it would be cheaper to go elsewhere besides the states to get the surgery done. What about everyone else. Is there anyone else who does not have access to fill doctors? What do you do about it. There is a doctor in he next town that charges a flat fee and that includes anything you need done for 1 year. If you have to pay for blood work and fills do you really save much by going to another country to get the surgery?

Here is my cost.

9,500 lapband in Mexico, hotel, all fees and free fills for the year.

250 air fare

100 misc food, shopping

500 first fill in states

250 second fill in states

250 third fill in states

250 fourth fill in states (assuming I need four fills)

Total: 11,100

OR

9500 lapband in mexico, hotel and fill free

250 air fare

100 misc food, shopping

450 air fair, hotel and shuttle, food and misc to fill in mexico

450 Four fills done in mexico

Total: 11, 650

Sooooooooooo, getting my fills HERE in USA doesnt SAVE me that much money. BUT it saves me from a heck of alot of time and trouble!!

NOW last I heard the lapband cost 18,000 to 25,000$ in the USA.

I for one could get about 12,000$ max, ever in my whole life.

So getting it done here was not an option.

The doc here quoted me a price of all the pre-op stuff, operation and everything for one year for 17,500. I am still trying to decide where to go. I am from a small town and most doc's have an attitude. I am afraid if I go elsewhere he would not put me on his list of priorties. I want to get it done as soon as I can.

My dr is saying $12,500 total. and they are going to let me put it on my credit card - frequent flyer miles. Free fills for 1 year.