Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why Why Why??

How do you have a lap band and not know what a fill is?????

I was under the impression that coming to a support board for some people might very well be PART OF THE RESEARCH PROCESS!?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Sorry, I didn't realize you meant those who already have a band.

You MUST excuse me. I killed about a zillion brain cells this past weekend with the Shrinking Violets (April 07 group) and I'm really, really tired. LOL

I agree with Terri. Some of what I learned about the band was here, at this site. Having said that, people ask dumb questions everywhere about everything. Some people don't think before they ask, some people are just plain ignorant, some people have very low education/IQ levels and although things may have been explained once or twice, it may need another explaining. I am not meaning to put people down at all. As a nurse though, I know firsthand how some people just don't "get it" when you try and explain anything medical/illness/injury related.

ah, I see now.

When I logged in this was the first post listed on the home page (I guess because thats the recent posts and this is a popular one) Anyway, I didn't realize which section it was in. My bad. Rant away

Also it is possible that they may have been told by their doc or whomever that they would be getting injections of saline to create restriction. Maybe they just didn't know the term "fill". I'm really not trying to be argumentative and I realize I am in the rants section...I would just hate for anyone to not use this site because they felt dumb.

How do you have a lap band and not know what a fill is?????

Well, not every doctor is a great doctor.

Not every patient is a great patient.

maybe what you're seeing is like "the perfect storm" of mutual cluelessness?? :wink2:

IF you could eat anything you wanted after a band, why have the band?

In orderto loose weight we need to chnage our eating habits and eat healthy....Some doctors make no sence at all...

Part of the research process? The original post was complaining about people ALREADY BANDED who had no idea what a fill is. I think it is the height of idiocy to undergo elective surgery and have no idea what it is about and what it entails.

Yes, come here for research (well, maybe not on this thread), but don't wait until you've already spent thousands of your own or your insurance company's money only to find out you will need to seek follow up care and you still can't eat lasagna and pizza all the time.

Part of the research process? The original post was complaining about people ALREADY BANDED who had no idea what a fill is. I think it is the height of idiocy to undergo elective surgery and have no idea what it is about and what it entails.

Yes, come here for research (well, maybe not on this thread), but don't wait until you've already spent thousands of your own or your insurance company's money only to find out you will need to seek follow up care and you still can't eat lasagna and pizza all the time.

"Height of idiocy" is a tad harsh. Not all people have the same level of education or intelligence but that does not make them an "idiot". Calling anyone an idiot on LBT is against the rules.

Yes, this may be R&R, but all of the rules still apply. Perhaps now would be a good time to review them.

There is no one in particular I am calling an idiot, as this is all about generalities and not specific posts or posters. I do say that anyone who goes through surgery without knowing what it is about, what its results are, and what their requirements will be, is sadly lacking in the knowledge they will need to make it work.

I have been fortunate in that I have had 9 visits with my surgeon and one more to go b/4 my surgery on June 17. The only time the term "fill" has ever come up was at my initial informative seminar back on Oct. 2. "P.B." has never been mentioned.

If not for Lapbandtalk.com I wouldn't have a clue. Don't get me wrong, any questions I have asked my surgeon he has been very patient and taken a lot of time to answer. I trust my surgeon and he has a wonderful track record. I am just not sure why certain complications are not thrown out there for us to digest. I can honestly say that 90% of anything I've learned about banding had come from this wonderful site. I did do research on my own b/4 joining this website but have learned sooooooooooo much from the experience of others....whether good or bad.

There is no one in particular I am calling an idiot, as this is all about generalities and not specific posts or posters.

I understood you to say that anyone who has had elective surgery (such as the band) but has not yet done the proper research is demonstrating the "height of idiocy". So yes, there are particular people you are targeting, although you may not know their names. It is important to remember (even in R&R) that there are many who read our posts that we are unaware of and there is no useful purpose served by being disrespectful.

Thanks for rephrasing your comments.

My doctor refers to fills as "adjustments". So I don't think that is a stupid question at all. Ask away people!!!!

Some people just don't have patience. Some are quick to tell people "....don't read the rants and raves if you don't like our complaining..."

How about "...don't read the questions you consider ignorant if you don't like it...."

I call Bull**it, show me a post from someone who has been banded asking what a fill is. I will admit that I have seen post's from people considering the band that asked what a fill is but I have never seen one from a banded person.

When I first came here 3 years ago I was considering the band and asked questions while doing my research. For example I had no idea what a PB was or what slimeing was so I did a search and found some information. I can honestly say however that I did not truly know what they were until I experienced them first hand.

So show me that post or I say Bull**it

I'm banded of course, but still don't really know what pb or sliming is. I've never had it occur. I read those posts carefully and have asked about them just in case I get in sometime.

Fills--- I don't know when I knew what this was, but my doctor called them adjustments too. Actually, even during the seminar I didn't really get that I would have to have a fill so often! This board is so helpful for people, "stupid" questions and all! I'm certain I've asked my fair share of stupid questions. If you don't want to respond to a redundant question, move on. That's the beauty of a mouse click.