Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why Why Why??

Why don't people do their research? You have a band or are getting a band and don't know what a fill is? HELLO????? Geez, before I got my band, I read and read and read and found out EVERYTHING I possibly could.

Tolernance, my dear. We are all different. I too did my research before hand but there we still some unexpected moments or terms that popped up.

I thought a fill was something you got after you ate....?

And, there was nothing in the literature that said, "no pizza during mushy stage," specifically.

So...I can eat it, right? :wink2:

I hate that crap SO VERY MUCH. What I don't understand is why someone will ask those types of questions here -AFTER THEY'VE BEEN BANDED -and not ask their doctor. Or better yet - ask before you get surgery.

Oh that's another one:

Is lasagna considered a mushy food?

Honestly, this stupidity is why I hardly read these boards anymore. Because it's the SAME BS over and over and over and over...

Who knows? Sometimes the information you get and the information you read here don't jive. I was told after surgery I could eat anything I wanted and if I got stuck drink something <this information from my doctor> I read here that it wasn't a good idea to eat anything I wanted and HECK NO NEVER DRINK SOMETHING IF YOUR STUCK!!! I took the advise of the board and am very grateful I did. I love my doctor 100% but for information I love this board a whole lot more :wink2:

oh dear. I'm still in the pre surgery satisfying the insurance company stage. I came back here for some inspiration to stick with it. This is the first post I saw. made me a little scared to stay.

Anyone know of a "safer" gastric band forum?

CarolAnne, darlin this is the Rants and Raves section ... this is where you come to rant and rave over the silliest of things or the most serious of things.

The rest of the forum is safe and VERY informative sweetheart.

I totally agree. I did so much research, I was on overload. I Googled gastric bypass and lap band (in the early days I was trying to decide between the two procedures) and read just about every blog and diary out there written by people who had the surgery, I read every doctor's website I could find, I watched the surgery being performed on You Tube, I watched the video diaries of patients on You Tube, I attended support group meetings, and a seminar.

So I sort of reacted the same way when I read some of the questions people ask on this forum. I tried to remind myself that I am by nature very thorough and I don't do anything without researching it. Some people aren't built that way and others simply don't know any better.

But even if the patient herself (or himself) doesn't have the werewithall to do the research on their own, their doctor should have made sure they were making an informed decision about the surgery and that they were committed to making the lifestyle changes that go along with it.

I also lose patience with the ones who whine and moan about the pre-op diet or the post-op diet. Now, I only had the liquid pre-op diet for a week before surgery and I'm only on a liquid diet for one week post-surgery (my surgery was May 15th) and I do sympathize with those who have to be on the liquid diet for longer than that -- it's hard! But I keep telling myself that if I can't get through a few weeks of this, how am I going to get through a lifetime of healthy changes?

CarolAnne - I'm not sure there are safer ones. :wink2: This was the one that I stuck with in Sept because the posts here are REAL.

You won't find too many people candy-coating things, and sometimes it can be taken a bit too harshly - or said a bit too harshly.

But, the over all theme is that you won't be told it's okay when it's not.

And, I've had to be recently reminded of this myself - In the Rants and Raves section, which is where this thread is located, it's all out there, good or bad. So, if you're a bit scared of hearing the bad stuff, then R&R isn't the place to be reading.

And to add to that, I think the main point of this is that if you're doing your research and really listening to your doctor, then you won't be a target.

I get grumpy when people KNOW it's not a mushy and are trying to push it. They stick something in the blendor and think they're outsmarting some-one/thing? I don't know. But, all they're doing is ruining their own weight loss chances.

Thus, the rant and rave regarding those people...

Are you serious, CarolAnne? This forum is very "safe"--if you mean by that what I think you do. You just happen to click on a thread in the "RANT" section -- what you see is what you get here.

I would recommend checking out a different thread--any thread but this one!

katz, there are people who have the band who have no business having the band. They might be better off with the bypass. It's not for us to decide who's "worthy" of it. This is their journey, too...

Funny, I just blogged about Impatience in this one obese person I know, too.

It's frustrating when others don't see the light like some of us have, but again. All in good time. At least the "clueless" ones have a resource like this. At least they're asking!

Why don't people do their research? You have a band or are getting a band and don't know what a fill is? HELLO????? Geez, before I got my band, I read and read and read and found out EVERYTHING I possibly could.

I was under the impression that coming to a support board for some people might very well be PART OF THE RESEARCH PROCESS!?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I am sitting here with a smirk on my face, shaking my head back and forth. This is EXACTLY what I am talking about!!

Yep. :wink2:

I am sitting here with a smirk on my face, shaking my head back and forth. This is EXACTLY what I am talking about!!

please clarify