Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need help. I'm freaking out and worrying waaay to much over this

So, I'm just going to ask it.

I am a CARBAHOLIC ! ! ! WHAT am I going to do after this surgery? I am not a meat eater. I tried to eat some tuna today for lunch and about gagged. I'm that way with most meats, so I get very little Protein in (hence alot of reason I'm here :cry_smile:

Help...I don't want to stop this process but I'm worried I'll only eat carbs and veggies. I do LOVE my veggies too.

There are a LOT of vegetarians out there...so don't think you're alone when you say you don't like meat.

One of the most important things to concentrate on after banding is Protein intake. If you don't like meat, you will just have to find other means of getting your Protein in.

You can get creative! Think of it as a challenge!!! :cry_smile:)

But will Protein shakes and stuff fill me up enough to not be able to want carbs.

I had a can of black eyed peas for lunch today. I just feel doomed. Should I try and incorporate some shakes or something in now....:confused2:

This is definitely a question for the nutritionist. Is there one at your surgeon's office, or one that he/she uses?

How about this--every morning, I drink a Protein shake and have a yogurt. Between the two, it's 23g Protein and 0g carbs. It's yummy, lasts me till lunch, and is a great way to start the day.

That's lots of protein, and very little carbs (only what's in the yogurt). NO MEAT!!!

There are lots of other ways to get your protein in. There's this other stuff that some of my hippie vegetarian friends use called Texturized Vegetable Protein. You can add it to ANYTHING (either by cooking it in or sprinkling it on top) and it doesn't taste. But, there's protein, and again, NO MEAT!

Like I said, you have to GET CREATIVE!!!!!

~breathing more calmly now~

Thanks stranger....I guess when I thought of meat, I thought of steak and chicken and wouldn't let my mind go anywhere else. Great ideas.

i totally understand where you are coming from!! I drank 12-14 cans of cola a day (MAJOR carbs!!!) love breads, Pasta, ect.

I have started drinking a Protein Shake in the morning...Kashi has a great one...and having a carb master yogurt with it. I have another Protein shake (not kashi because it is higher in sugar) and a carb master yogurt...what i have noticed...that after doing this for 3 days my carb craving was almost GONE! Yesterday, I decided to have order lasagna and breadsticks for the kids and i had a slice...guess what...the darn carb cravings started and i wanted everything...chips, bread, cookies...GRRRR! I drank my water...and really worked hard not to binge on the junk....this morning i had my normal protein shake/yogurt and i have been fine...

For dinner, I have been having about a cup of veggies and lean protein....

I don't know if your nutritionist has told you either..you can add 1/3 cup of dry milk to Soups, Protein Shakes, puddings, ect to up the protein...

My nephew uses tofu (silken i believe) and adds that to his smoothies and shakes (he is vegan)

I have a gag reflex and don't like a lot of textures and the kashi has not bothered me at all...

i also make a shake with 8 oz of skim milk, 1/3 cup of dry milk, and 1 sugar free carnation instant breakfast...that gives me 22gms of protein.

my daily requirement is 70-80 gms per day!!!!

:cry_smile:

Tonya, that is great. I wrote all those things down and I'm headed to the grocery store after work..might as well get started now...:cry_smile:

i am not yet banded, but my nutritionist and surgeon both said to start working on drinking my shakes and getting my required protein!

I feel better!! I have more energy, and i have lost a little bit of weight too!!!!

i never thought yesterday to make fake lasagna...ricotta cheese, a bit of sauce, and motz cheese...bake it in the oven for 20 minuets...yum!

How far into the process are you????

Do you have a banding date yet??

I'm still very early in the process. I've got my surgeon appt. on the 22nd. Still waiting for my PCP to order all the pre tests that have to be done. I've got my nutritionists and psychologits appts. set up...

I actually go see my nutritionists on Monday so I'll definitely have a lot of questions to ask her. Are the "hard" Proteins considered actual meat v. shakes and other forms of Protein i.e. yogurt, pb, etc..

Protein is protein, honey!

Sure, Protein is protein. However, "hard" protein sits in your pouch for a longer time giving you that sense of fullness. For me... if I drink a Protein Shake for Breakfast I get hungry a lot sooner then if I eat scrambled egg and turkey bacon. Same goes if I eat Pasta for a meal.... it doesn't keep me satisfied as long as solid protein and a few veggies. I DO enjoy meat though... so your challenge will be finding Proteins that will keep you feeling satisfied so that you wont keep returning to the fridge for more food all day!

that is awesome!! I have just finished up all my requirements and am now waiting for my approval!!!!

Meeting with the nutritionist will be very helpful...let her know that you don't like meat, she will give you lots of suggestions (well mine did anyway!) if you need any support feel free to email me!!

TonyaGarst@comcast.net

it is always good to have someone to sound off with!!!

Lots of carboholics have a more difficult time with the band. Most bandsters have trouble eating breads and things of that nature, but other things like chips, sugery drinks and ice-cream have no problems. It will be wise to try to eliminate these from your diet pre-surgery. Then again, in the liquid diet phase you'll be able to kick those feelings because you will go weeks without eating period.

As far as Protein goes, try not to get TOO obsessed over it. You can get Protein in lots of other ways than just meat. That being said, you should really try to focus on getting your protein in other than liquid forms. Not completely, don't get me wrong, I have a protein shake for breakfast every morning, but I make sure that the majority of my meals are actual food. You don't get hungry as fast.