Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frusterated with no restriction

I lost 10 lbs pre-op and was banded on March 26th. I lost 12 more lbs in the first 2 weeks post op then hit a stand still. I stuck with the eating programs for the first 4 weeks then I started eating more as I had no restriction and was hungry. I am still eating significantly less than I was before the surgery but I am mostly maintaining my weight. I think it is due to a couple of things, I have been VERY constipated since surgery despite taking Myralax for the last 2 weeks and I can eat anything without restriction.

I have my first fill tomorrow. Did anyone go from no restriction and a stand still in weight loss back to losing once you got your first fill? I want the band to feel tight, like is did when I was swollen the first couple weeks after surgery.

I am totally bummed out as it seems like so many people are having much better results. I would love to hear if other people are going through the same thing or any insight from people who have had their first fills.

Thanks!

22 pounds is fantastic!!! Most people don't lose a lot of weight until after their first fill. In fact most doctors and patients will tell you that the time between your surgery and your first fill IS NOT ABOUT LOSING WEIGHT! If you do lose...great, but it is about healing. So you are going to be hungry and eating more, because while the band itself does provide some restriction it is not enough for most people. You should feel less hunger and more satiety after your fill. Hang in there...one more day!

Hi Katcap -

I am right there with you. I'm extremely frustrated. I don't regret getting the band, but I'm so ready for restriciton. In my head I knew about the "healing period" but I feel like I'm past that now, and I want this damn thing to work!

Well I have to tell you that if you are wanting the band to do A LOT of the work for you, you are going to have a tough time. I don't want to sound mean but unfortunately that is how it is going to come across because you can't show sympathy and empathy in a stupid post...Need to invent a way to do that! I did 98% of the work on my own and used the band to help me change my behaviors. The band won't let me binge, but it will not change the food that I eat. In fact I think it makes it easier to eat CRAP foods because those always seem to go down easier than Proteins and good carbs. I said this on another thread but often times when we think we need our band tightened we might, but often times we need our minds tightened. This is not an easy journey and I don't think even gastric bypass is EASY. This is hard work. We are changing behaviors that even for those of us that are young have been ingrained in us for several years. Sometimes it feels like you take 3 steps forward and 2 steps back. But as I always tell my students mistakes are meant to happen and they are only bad if you don't learn from them.

22 pounds and 17 pounds respectively are very good. I just want you to know that I have gained more than I have lost in this journey. I have lost 96 pounds but I have gained 154 pounds of ME. I am a stronger, happier, more confident person because I took control of my life. Before we gave up control to food...don't give up control to your band. Your life is more than just food, a number on a scale or the size of your pants...so embrace that and take control of you. Make YOU work for YOU. There is no greater thing to be proud of!

Hi KatCap,

I was banded on April 8th, 2008. Lost 5 pounds pre-op, 8 pounds in the first two weeks post-op and have been stuck ever since.

I have no restriction at all!! I can eat as much as I did before being banded, so it takes all my will to limit my portions (Went to bed hungry last night....wait, that is almost every night). I make healthy food choices counting calories, Protein, fat and carbs. I excercise almost everyday (13 of the 15 days of this month so far).

No matter what I do, I cannot lose 1 more stinking pound!!

I am frustrated to the verge of tears!!!

I have my first fill scheduled for May 24th. Hopefully, that will turn it around for me.

Soooooo-- you are not alone!!

Hang in there. With patience and persistence we can get through this!!:cry_smile:

Lynn

Thanks all for commiseration and the insight. I had the band tightening today and I definatley feel different. I will be on liquids for 48 hours after the fill.

I have also been going to weight watchers. I am hoping the fill and the support from weight watchers will do the trick. I know it is a slow process but like most people I want instant success.

Salsa, your weight loss and thoughts are really inspirational. I was 238 the day of surgery and 155 is my goal so it is great to see someone have your great success!!!

Thanks all for commiseration and the insight. I had the band tightening today and I definatley feel different. I will be on liquids for 48 hours after the fill.

I have also been going to weight watchers. I am hoping the fill and the support from weight watchers will do the trick. I know it is a slow process but like most people I want instant success.

Salsa, your weight loss and thoughts are really inspirational. I was 238 the day of surgery and 155 is my goal so it is great to see someone have your great success!!!

Thank you...I have worked very hard and am a much different person today. My personality is the same and my caring for other people is the same...but my attitude towards me is totally different. I LOVE the new me. I think the fill and weight watchers is a great place to start. Just remember this is about you...you have to do what is best for YOU!

I feel your frustration....I have had one fill since my surgery on March 26th and I can still eat anythng. Bandster hell is nothing to sneeze at....I'm sure we will feel better when we feel restricton again. Waiting is just no fun!!

My doctors group had a pretty firm schedule of surgery then 6 weeks to 1st fill and then 6 weeks now to 2nd fill. Many of us definitely said we needed at least the first fill at 4 weeks and I would have been happy to get my 2nd fill 4 weeks after the first fill. I'll give them that feedback but its still up to the surgeon based on their experience dealing with their patients. I guess they are being conservative trying to make sure we are adapting and really working to make our band work. I'd rather go slow on the way up the fill path than to get too restricted and end up having to go total unfill and then back up again. So, I'm with you, we knew this was a tool that would take patience until we hit our sweet spot but hearing it and saying, Yes, I understand and living with things are two different things. We are living a dream though for me... losing about 33 total pounds since mid-March is more than I had been able to do with WW and my own dedicated food tracking in over 2 years before that. I can't not be happy.

Without restriction I was at a standstill. I am so grateful for my MD's office being aggressive with fills. I was honest about how I was feeling and what I was able to eat in a sitting and after 3 fills (6cc in 10cc band) I know what restriction is and I cannot overeat. In fact I am rarely physically hungry. I still deal with the head hunger, but it's easier to push away. It is true that junk passes through the band faster and easier than the good stuff, but it's easeir for me to choose the good stuff now. Hang in there and be persistant about what you need from your surgeon. I am now losing 1-2 pounds a week which is where my surgeon wants me to be.

I go to NYU which is a center of excellence and the head surgeon is banded himself for 8 yrs. I am 8 weeks out and have had 3 fills.

Christine