Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lovenox anyone have to self inject for 2 weeks ?

Hey everyone its been a while since i've been back on here but yeah im backkkk [=

Oh FYI i was denied then i sent in an appeal and i have been accepted so im very happy my surgery is schedualed for the 27th of May and i have been told that i have to use Lovenox after the surgery for 2weeks;self inject 2 times daily, this really scares me and i havent heard of it before has anyone had to do this? And does anyone have any suggestions for pre-op diet stuff? and what to wear to surgery and has anyone had vivik prachand before how was he? what were his pre-op and post-op requirements? What were ur nutritionists recommendations for how much Protein to intake? I'd greatly appreciate any info given to me (=

thanks loves!!<3

Pre-op work-May 19th

Surgery day- May 27th

Surgeon- Vivik Prachand; University of Chicago

Congratulations on your approval and upcoming surgery. Join all the May bandsters under support groups, it is a great bunch! Lovenox is used to prevent blood clots which is a post surgery complication. I have not heard of any other lap band person have it done but common in other major surgeries. You may call and ask your doctor, it could have to do with prior medical conditions you have. It is just like injecting insulin, you give it in you love handles but it will cause some bruising. If you have any specific questions, please feel free to send me a private message I am an RN and use it all the time. Good Luck!!

I had to do the Lovenox injections after surgery, but only once a day for 2 weeks. It was not too bad. The needles are pretty small and the kit that I got had a booklet and DVD that explained exactly how to use it.

Good luck!

When I was pregnant with my youngest, I developed blood clots in my lungs. So for the rest of the pregnancy ( 6 months) I was on twice a day Lovenox. injections..The only real problem it caused was with nose bleeds...And I ended up with a healthy baby and a clot-free me.

I am glad you posted this question because I have not yet gotten to the bariatric physician assessment to ask about clot prevention but given my history... I am asking to go on Lovenox post op...

Good Luck!!

My surgeon also requires given self-injections to prevent blood clots after surgery. Ours varies from 7 to 14 days depending on the patient. We've been instructed to inject it on either side of our naval. Hope this helps! :thumbup:

Do you have a pre-existing history or medical condition which makes you prone to clots?

I was on the injections for two weeks after my lap band because I have had a clot previously. The needles are tiny and once you get over the initial ick factor it is fine. The nurses should show you how to inject yourself and also watch you do it at least once before you go home.

All the best

I was banded May 7th and my doctor requires 20 days of once daily Lovenox injections. They aren't bad. Better than the risk of a clot.

I too will be taking Lovenox. I goofed up reading the info and started to take them before.. I took two and my surgery is the 19th ..Sure hope I will be ok .. I was so nervous at the pre op and they told me so much and to get my meds ASAO. So I read it wrong.. Sarah will this hurt the surgery ? I have stopped and it will be a week before I have the procedure done ..Oh and the shots don't hurt at all ...

GEEEZZZZ .. I am getting too nervous I think

I had to inject myself with Lovenox for ten days. At first I was a little hesitant, but it needed to be done so I did it. The thought of it actually was worse than the shot itself. The needles are small and fine. Just have to rotate the sites of the injections. I had bruises all over where i shot myself.

I had a pulmonary embolism in November and had to use Lovenox 2 times a day for a couple of months. It really isnt bad. You inject it into your tummy and barely feel it. It does make you bruise a little, but don't worry. I'll be right there with you--probably need to use it after my band next Monday for the same reasons. Good luck with your surgery

AZChick-you will probably be fine (though definitely let your doc know so you can get the ones you used replaced for post op). Blood thickens right back up if you miss shots. I've been on coumadin for 6 months now and if I miss a day, my blood gets thick again. Being a week out, I'm sure you are OK. If it was a day or two out, I wouldn't say the same.