Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeping quirks

Hi Tapshoes, I don't flip my pillow (often) but I am with you with the foot out of the bed though. When it gets cold I pull it in then it's back out again. You are not alone.

Saleel22

Well if there not suposed to be any electronics in the bedroom I now know why my BF has really weird dreams! As his computer desk is right beside my bedside table. LOL. Not to mention my CPAP machine, both of our alarm clocks.

My BF is like you Kat he has to have it totally Dark, He keeps a t-shirt over the computer case to block the on/off light. Keeps the alarm clock on the dimist setting ALWAYS makes sure all his keyboard lights (caps lock, scroll etc) are off. And till I come to bed tosses one of my pillows on top of my nightstand cause the CPAP has light up buttons.

He leaves the computer on at night cause he HAS to have his thunderstom/rain sounds going or he can't sleep!!

We tried one of those white noise alarm clocks but the rain/thunderstorm sounded fake. So we just left it in the room for the time. lol. And since we have conflicting routines we typically use all 3 of the alarms. We both tend to stay up all night since he gets home around 11 pm each day. I have to get the kids up at 5am. And I go to bed at 8 am after both are off to school. So one alarm for that on days I *Nap* one alarm for 2-3pm when he gets up for work. then another alarm for the afternoon when I get up when the kids come home.

Myself I either dream very rarely or just don't remember them but my poor BF is often having disturbing dreams/nightmares often. I'm seriously considering looking into more pagan/natural/holistic methods of giving him some relief. Which reminds me I'm gonna put a mirror at the head of the bed tonight and see if it helps him any. Poossibly convince him on his next day off to rerange the bedroom. Turning the bed 90 degrees might help too.

I would think the computer would really heat up your room, I don't think I'd like that. I grew up listening to the sound of the cars/trucks on the beltway about a block from my house as a kid and so I cannot sleep with quiet that's why the fan. As for my CPAP machine, it hums too so that's more noise and I cover the lights with a sock because they're pretty bright! I don't know if feng shui ever took CPAP machines into consideration but a person has to breathe!

Are his dreams about thunderstorms, just curious. Research mirrors and feng shui, they're not always a good idea but you choose your source. Could your BF have sleep apnea also? My one daughter has night terrors, does he talk in his sleep or anything similar to that. Just a thought, I need to go to bed, I have to get up in 4 hours, byes!

The house I grew up in didn't have central air conditioning. We had an attic fan (note to non-south members: Do other people have attic fans, or is this strictly a southern thing?). The sound of the attic fan running in the summertime was extremely addicting. When it got cold enough to retire the attic fan, it would take a few nights to adjust to the quiet.

I would think the computer would really heat up your room, I don't think I'd like that. I grew up listening to the sound of the cars/trucks on the beltway about a block from my house as a kid and so I cannot sleep with quiet that's why the fan. As for my CPAP machine, it hums too so that's more noise and I cover the lights with a sock because they're pretty bright! I don't know if feng shui ever took CPAP machines into consideration but a person has to breathe!

Are his dreams about thunderstorms, just curious. Research mirrors and feng shui, they're not always a good idea but you choose your source. Could your BF have sleep apnea also? My one daughter has night terrors, does he talk in his sleep or anything similar to that. Just a thought, I need to go to bed, I have to get up in 4 hours, byes!

Yep gotta have the CPAP for sure lol.

Nah he has some really off the wall dreams most of the time it seems they aren't good though. He doesn't snore or talk in his sleep I do suspect he might be developing apnea though something I hope he gets tested for soon he isn't having serious symptoms yet.

He has a VERY active imagination. We do some table top roleplaying and he is a fantastic GM. I keep trying to get him to put some of his storylines down in print cause I think he could actually sell books but I can't get him to do it. I can't help but wonder if it might be just him remembering dreams more then then people like myself. It's really RARE that I recall dreaming at all. Some nights for him he can remember 2-3 dreams.

I know for the most part everyone dreams (As long as they dont have a sleep disorder untreated) that 95% or more of them we don't remember. (So my sleep dr said once). Thats it's a way or our minds taking a break from things. My sleep dr also told me if I really wanted to remember more of them to try relaxation & meditation, and journaling to try and improve what I remembered. But I got enough to worry about at this point my life to do it. Maybe when the kids are all grown. :party:

I always remember at least one dream, frequently several; I always dream in colour. There is frequently music and I have woken previous partners by my humming and singing out loud while sleeping. I frequently wake myself up singing...and yes, I hum and sing all day at home and work (much to the chagrin of those who may be outside my door). In fact, when I was a baby (still in a crib) my father would shut the bedroom door because my laughing and giggling while asleep was annoying to my parents. I still laugh and giggle in my sleep.

No TV no electronics other than a teensy-weensy -tiny alarm clock which never rings...I awake the same time (530) everyday - weekends or post late-night parties or work day -it doesn't matter. It is there for one purpose only - on the rare occasion I need to get up earlier than 530, I set it...but invariably I wake before it rings or buzzes or whatever it does. No alarms, no TV no computer no phone- no no no. Bedrooms are for amorous encounters and sleeping only.

Have sloped low ceilings so no ceiling fans - else one of us wants to be de-capitated. Nothing under the bed but dust critters.

The house I grew up in didn't have central air conditioning. We had an attic fan (note to non-south members: Do other people have attic fans, or is this strictly a southern thing?). The sound of the attic fan running in the summertime was extremely addicting. When it got cold enough to retire the attic fan, it would take a few nights to adjust to the quiet.

We had an attic fan when I was a kid too! Actually, up until the house burned when I was 19 we lived there and NEVER ran a/c at night, only attic fan and (eventually) ceiling fans over each bed. But I live in the south too.:biggrin2: That would explain why I have a hard time sleeping without a fan going though.

I am a (sometime) pillow flipper and if I get hot, leg has to be out. DH gets cold when he sleeps, so even in the heat of a South Carolina summer we have to have a blanket on the bed. As long as he keeps his hot, sweaty body and blanket mostly on his side of the bed, we get along fine. :lol: I get ill when I get hot and am trying to sleep! :rolleyes2:

Is Maryland considered southern? We had an attic fan and the door to the attic was in my closet and instead of opening the door and letting out all the hot air my dad put a little door in the door so that he could switch on the fan when he wanted to. I don't remember hearing the fan though. But I can't sleep without one and we had central AC then too.

LOL @ Maryland being southern. Too funny. :biggrin2:

I cant sleep with clothes on and all parts of my body have to be covered up to my head and even part of it. I have to have a fan on and all I can wear to bed to be comfy is a bra and panties hehe. :crying:

Hey I've been up in NY for over 20 years now and they still say I have an accent, they're not sure what it is though! I think I'm more southern than northern y'all!!!

Hey I've been up in NY for over 20 years now and they still say I have an accent, they're not sure what it is though! I think I'm more southern than northern y'all!!!

Yup, the "y'all" gave you away, BII!!

We had an attic fan when I was a kid too! Actually, up until the house burned when I was 19 we lived there and NEVER ran a/c at night, only attic fan and (eventually) ceiling fans over each bed. But I live in the south too.:biggrin2: That would explain why I have a hard time sleeping without a fan going though.

I am a (sometime) pillow flipper and if I get hot, leg has to be out. DH gets cold when he sleeps, so even in the heat of a South Carolina summer we have to have a blanket on the bed. As long as he keeps his hot, sweaty body and blanket mostly on his side of the bed, we get along fine. :thumbup: I get ill when I get hot and am trying to sleep! :)

kathystrick - I knew you were southern when you said you got "ill." I moved to Atlanta from Memphis and no one down here has heard "ill."

The rest of Y'ALL are cracking me up about sleeping! I hover b/w thinking the boogeyman will get my foot and "I'm hot and have to breathe!"

I start out on my left side but if I can't get to sleep, I go to the tummy. I have an idea that I might be a pillow flipper tho I've never put it into words! My mom irons her pillow cases b/c she likes the way they feel against her face! I prob would too but am too lazy!