Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeping quirks

OK - after another night of the 'battle of the bedclothes', I decided to ask this diverse and large (in number, no relation to physical size) group, your opinions on 2 issues: pillow-flipping; and foot breathing.

Taking the first one: I have to have the cool side of the pillow next to my head in order to drift off to sleep. This means that before drifting off, I will 'flip' my pillow several times - apparently disturbing DH (who in my observation is usually fast asleep but likes to have reason to complain). The heat from my head will warm the pillow therefore making it less likely I will relax, as soon as that happens, I must 'flip' it to the cool side.

Foot-breathing: and yes, I know we don't breathe through our feet (well, unless there are aliens among us, and that's another topic). By this I mean that no matter how cool the bedroom is, one foot must be out from under the sheets/duvet exposed to the air. And before you ask, there is no heat on in the bedroom - ever, and frequently the window is open a crack, and yes, I live in a place where there is a real winter with snow. But despite this, one foot must be outside or else I feel like I am suffocating. In the dead of winter and early spring (such as now), when the exposed foot becomes rather chilled, I change position so the other foot can 'breathe', and of course then snuggle into the thermal generating station that is DH placing my foot next to his- sometimes jolting him awake as I am (to him) freezing him!

Both of these are normal, right?

OK - after another night of the 'battle of the bedclothes', I decided to ask this diverse and large (in number, no relation to physical size) group, your opinions on 2 issues: pillow-flipping; and foot breathing.

Taking the first one: I have to have the cool side of the pillow next to my head in order to drift off to sleep. This means that before drifting off, I will 'flip' my pillow several times - apparently disturbing DH (who in my observation is usually fast asleep but likes to have reason to complain). The heat from my head will warm the pillow therefore making it less likely I will relax, as soon as that happens, I must 'flip' it to the cool side.

Foot-breathing: and yes, I know we don't breathe through our feet (well, unless there are aliens among us, and that's another topic). By this I mean that no matter how cool the bedroom is, one foot must be out from under the sheets/duvet exposed to the air. And before you ask, there is no heat on in the bedroom - ever, and frequently the window is open a crack, and yes, I live in a place where there is a real winter with snow. But despite this, one foot must be outside or else I feel like I am suffocating. In the dead of winter and early spring (such as now), when the exposed foot becomes rather chilled, I change position so the other foot can 'breathe', and of course then snuggle into the thermal generating station that is DH placing my foot next to his- sometimes jolting him awake as I am (to him) freezing him!

Both of these are normal, right?

Yep, this sounds normal to me. I sleep with the fan on throughout the year and I always have to have my feet, at least one, protruding. Often I sleep with the duvet covering only one leg. My sensitive mate loves to cuddle up to me, his little "furnace," but I snarl at him to leave me alone, wailing that I am too hot to sleep with him crushing me! The poor guy. I don't cuddle. Too damn hot! And I live in Canada, eh. This means that in the winter I can wake up sweating only to find him and the cats, those heat-seeking missiles, glued to me. Argh!

I too think it's normal! I've always, ever since I was a skinny little girl, slept with one foot or entire leg sticking out, and still do. Also, it drives me crazy to have a warm pillow.

There is a thing called a chillow pillow - it's, from what I hear, supposed to keep the pillow cool. I'm sure if you google it, it'll come up. That might help ya. I have no help or advice on what to do about not sticking your 'freezing' foot on your hubby.

I would just like to thank you for written proof that I am NOT the only one who does that. YAY!!! I plan on showing it to my DH when he gets home.

I've got to agree with the pillow flipping. I have three pillows, and they tend to rotate into use under my head during the night. (Usually one over my head too, since my husband snores horribly. He refuses to do anything about the snoring since it doesn't bother him. He actually doesn't care if I can sleep or not, I guess.)

I'm different about the foot thing though. I need to have my feet under the sheet. I guess I'm afraid the boogieman will eat my toes if they are uncovered. The rest of my body can be completely uncovere, but I can't fall asleep with my toes out.

I cannot sleep, however, if my feet are held prisoner by a tightly tucked in sheet or blanket. They have to be covered, but loosely.

Yep, this sounds normal to me. I sleep with the fan on throughout the year and I always have to have my feet, at least one, protruding. Often I sleep with the duvet covering only one leg. My sensitive mate loves to cuddle up to me, his little "furnace," but I snarl at him to leave me alone, wailing that I am too hot to sleep with him crushing me! The poor guy. I don't cuddle. Too damn hot! And I live in Canada, eh. This means that in the winter I can wake up sweating only to find him and the cats, those heat-seeking missiles, glued to me. Argh!

I frequently sleep without any covers at all, but since diabetes my feet get cold easily so sometimes I will cover just my feet, only to kick it off shortly after.

But I'm like green I ALWAYS Have a fan running even in dead of winter. No open window though since we are in a ground floor apartment. But my BF loves to snuggle also and most of the time I can't take it cause its to darn hot! lol.

I don't do the cool pillow thing but he does!! He also has a pair of leather like blinders that are fuzzy on the inside. He wears them inside out cause he likes the COOL feeling of the leather against his skin. And does the cool pillow thing. also or did till recently when we had to replace his poor dead 39+ year old pillow. He complains the new one doesn't get cool feeling like his old one but it had degraded so bad after 30+ years of use it was like sac of potatoes. he also has the one foot out of the covers like 90% of the time too.

LOL - proof that I am not a weirdo!! YAY! One thing I really can't stand is when you stay in a hotel and the beds are made up so tightly. The first thing I have to do is pull out the sheets from the bottom of the bed, so I can stick my feet out at night. In cooler months, I'll allow them to be covered, as I do keep a window open at night, but even then the blankets/sheets/doona have to be LOOSE. I can't stand the feeling of any pressure on my feet and if it's hot, even just the weight of a sheet is too much.

My DH has to fall asleep with a foot out from under the covers, but I notice as he sleeps and it gets chilled it goes under!!!

It used to take us an extra 5 minutes each morning to just untangle and decide who that leg belonged to.....we would weave ourselves through the night. But as we aged, and I got fat, and hot all the time, we took to spacing ourselves some. Now we almost always touch in one way or another, his hand on my hip, or mine on his shoulder....our feet touching. Somewhere-----until one of us is deep enough sleeping we move. Now I wake up all alone, not tangled at all!!

I can go into a total rage though if I try to wear a gown---it tangles and twists, and chokes the life out of me!!!

So I seldom sleep the first night away from home, a strange place, strange bed, and I am wearing clothing. Usually by the 2nd night exhaustion takes over, and I am ok!!!

I too prefer my pillow cool---we use strictly down, and I hate then getting old, where they feel hard and useless!!!

Kat

By profession I work in a sleep lab, where I have seen literally thousands of people sleep. The vast majority of people (probably 80%) poke a leg or foot out from under the covers. I have never seen any "pillow-flipping", LOL. There are a LOT weirder things that people do when they sleep than flip a pillow or de-cover a leg, so I think that Tapshoes' sleeping habit is perfectly normal.

Totally normal, I do those things too. I always flip my pillow and I cannot STAND having my feet all tucked in. I could never ever sleep with blankets and sheets, it has to be a doona, and if I"m in a hotel or something with blankets I have to untuck all my side of the bed. I hate them. I dont necessarily need my feet "out" but i have to have them unrestricted.

Thanks everyone - have a Protein filled smoothie on me!!

DH is going to read this thread tonight...although I can already hear him snorting that I created all of these persona. Such a sore loser he is!

:thumbup:

I can only wear a big sleep shirt or nightgown and the item has to be thin cotton or linen. Silk/synthetics are too hot, lace is scratchy, and pajamas end riding up right into my crotch area. Very uncomfortable and I don't wish to spend my nights pulling clothing out of my privates.

Firstly, you are too funny, the way you wrote it had me laughing out loud, and maybe because I'm kind of like you, I also like the cold side of the pillow and flip often during the night, I think I do it even if I'm sleeping... now the foot thing, I put both feet out for a few minutes, then back under the covers, then out once in a while, because I also like feet breathing! my husband flips his pillow too, so that;s ok, but he has mentioned to me about the feet before and he doesn't get it.... oh well

And I live in Chicago, but I have no heater on in my room either, even when it's extremely cold and the window is cracked too.... gee. I thought I was the only person that did this.... my gas bills in the winter are so minimal....I like that part...:lol:

By profession I work in a sleep lab, where I have seen literally thousands of people sleep. The vast majority of people (probably 80%) poke a leg or foot out from under the covers. I have never seen any "pillow-flipping", LOL. There are a LOT weirder things that people do when they sleep than flip a pillow or de-cover a leg, so I think that Tapshoes' sleeping habit is perfectly normal.

That is so cool! I have horrible insomnia and my dr. always wants me to go to a sleep clinic. I tell him I am not going to pay thousands of $$$

to sleep in a strange place when I can't even sleep in my own bed.

I do all those things too.

If anyone has any good tips to sleep though the night, I would love to hear them. Since menopause, I can't fall asleep and if I do, I wake up in

a couple of hours and can't go back to sleep. I hate it!:confused2:

After thinking about it I guess I do have a couple more *sleeping quirks* This last year I've had to learn to live with diabetic neurapthy(sp?) So while I like to have my sheet I sleep under tucked in it HAS to be lose since my toes already feel so weird as it is I can't handle heavy or tight covers on them.

Also I can't wear pajamas, pants, undies of anytype to bed they get twisted and uncomfortable so I mostly wear long lightweight gowns. I also cannot sleep in the nude lol. I had a rule when my kids were younger of never having a locked/closed bedroom door.

My daughter sleepwalked and my youngest (jay now 13) had major issues sleeping alone, so since me and my ex still lived together but slept seperatly for the last few years of our relationship Jay slept with me till we moved out in 2000.

It was closed and locked while anything was going on but I always got back up and made sure it was unlocked/cracked open afterwards. And the night gown on and BF decent.

Now we just keep doing it because of our cat who will rattle the door all night long if we close it. Or howl. lol