Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Healthy side dishes -Kid friendly?

I have switched the entire family to healthier eating, chicken, turkey, fresh veggies, no sugar, etc.

However, my latest issue is side dishes. For example: grilled chicken breast for dinner, what to make with it? One night steamed brocolli (even though 12 yr old daughter doesnt like), finding it difficult to think of side dishes to serve with chicken.

I'm trying to shop mostly on the perimeter of the store, to get fresher, healthier foods. But i grew up in a casserole type family, married into a meat and potato family (1st time), then married a junk food junkie. I don't want to serve potatoes, i dont really care for wild rice so i know there's no way i'm going to be able to get her highness (my daughter)to eat that .

i like grilled chicken and have found that her highness loves it, but what can i serve with it? We've also had grilled turkey burgers and cutlets. Hubby is about as picky has her highness is, so thats why i'm asking for kid friendly suggestions. recipes would be great!

I'd usually include a couple of vegetables, not just one. Broccoli, carrots and cauliflower for example. And a scoop of mashed sweet potato and potato. I dont avoid carbs though.

My kids eat most vegetables because if they didnt, they'd be hungry. So they're used to it. If I've got a bit of leftover risotto or similar I might use that as a side dish with a few different veges also but I dont usually go to so much trouble as to cook risotto just as a side!

How about a nice green salad with some of those baby corn on the cob things. My grandkids love those.

Sweet potato fries?

Why not potatoes? Is it a trigger food for you? It's not a bad food for your kids, when eaten in moderation. Vitamin C & potassium...

Our most common side dishes: (and note I don't always partake in the side dish. I rarely have room to eat anything but my meat & veggie)

1) Brown rice (brown rice and wild rice are two different things: when you say you don't like wild rice, does that include brown?)

2) Whole wheat noodles, sometimes regular Pasta

3) Baked potatoes, or less often, mashed

4) Baked yam or squash

5) Roasted root veggies: parsnips, sweet potato, yukon gold, carrots -- sliced and laid out on a tray, brushed or sprayed with olive oil, sprinkled with salt, and roasted in the oven.

6) A cooked veggie: broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, frozen veggie mix, green peas, green Beans, brussel sprouts, spinach, swiss chard, corn on the cob, summer squash & zucchini, etc.

7) Black Beans or fat-free refried beans from a can

8) Green salad

9) Raw veggie plate (cukes, radishes, carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, red pepper, etc)

10) Corn bread, whole grain bread, or some type of crackers if we're having chili or other Soup for dinner.

We used to have potato or macaroni salad with our summer bbq nights, but they are not all that healthy even when made with low-fat mayo, so we avoid them.

We aren't avoiding carbs, thats why i'm looking for suggestions. Right now, since last wednesday, we've had grilled ckn breasts and steamed brocolli 4-5 times. its gets old.

kinda avoiding potatoes because, hubby doesnt like them baked, her highness prefers them mashed, but then wont eat anything else ( she would live off mashed potatoes if i let her).

i have heard that sweet potato fries are good, i do need to try that. but i am the only one that likes sweet potatoes, this may seem ridiculous but do they have a strong sweet potato taste that way? (you know, like how some fish has a stronger fish flavor than others)

i appreciate the suggestions, some i will try. some wont go over. i like most veggies, but they dont. thats why this is so difficult. hubby loves hamburger helper, gravies, pasta-i'm trying to get away from those heavy foods. her highness is a sugar junkie, today she was home most the day by herself, and ate most of the "sweets" for her lunch (sugar free pudding, apple slices, sugar free popsicles) i'm suprised she had room for dinner.

thanks again for all the ideas, if anyone has more, i'm always open for ideas!

I put shredded cheese or parm on most veggies so my girls will eat them. They are 6 and 3. They love cheese so they eat up the veggies. I also let them dip their veggies in low fat ranch or french dressing. What every gets them to eat veggies works for me! I'm lucky tho because my girls love brocolli, carrots and peas. That really helps even if they only taste a new veggie I know I have a couple other things they will eat.

DH and I also add lots of veggies to hotdish when we make that.

DH likes NO vegtables and I am TRYING at 38 too.

DDS at 12 loves veggies, so I buy those frozen veggie combo's that you just cook in a skillet... they have large variety and most have butter, cheese or flavor chips in them.. makes it REALLY easy and most of them I've liked.

Cottage cheese is a good source of Protein and since it's getting to be garden season.... we like to add fresh tomatoes to ours.

A sf Jello based fruity salad

whole dill pickles

I make a very good twice baked cauliflower dish that people love.. it is heavy... it IS LowCARB but NOT lowFat! :lol: it has become my signature dish to bring to family get togethers.......

How about stuffed mushrooms.....

Now I'm hungry...... :frown:

Here are things we eat with chicken:

1. Blackeyed peas (I put salsa over mine as it tastes really good).

2. Hummus with romaine lettuce stalks dipped in it.. i also dip my chicken in the hummus.. makes it go down really nice!

3. Sauteed Mushrooms with a little bit of garlic and butter..

4. Mashed cauliflower with light sourcream and parmesan cheese

5. Sweet Snow peas

here's some sides that i cook on a regular basis:

* TX Caviar - Black Beans / Corn / Rotele / Red Onion / Cilantro

* Grilled Asparagus salad - Wheat Elbow Mac / Lemon / Parmesan cheese / Olive Oil / Basalmic

* Cucumber salad - Cucumber / Grape Tomato / Feta cheese / Red Onion / Olive Oil / Basalmic

* Wild Rice Salad - Shredded Carrots / Wild Rice / Red Grape / Walnuts - Newmans Own Balsamic Dressing

* Chick Pea Salad - Chick Peas / Green Onion / Grape Tomato / Cucumber / Olive Oil / Splash of Italian Dressing

I always keep baby carrots and zucchini on hand. I steam them either separately or together. Add a little margarine...yummm! Or they might like those same veggies raw with a dressing.

I am lucky to have a 2 year old who loves veggies. My husband loves them too. In fact, I was the non veggie eater when we got together! Now I love them too. There are so many things you can do. Here are a few of my families favs.

Sweet Potatoe Fries. Yes they still taste like sweet potatoe but if you bake them in the oven until they are crisp on the outside like an actual french fry and then dip them in ketchup they are so good. I have actually recently tried making Butternut squash fries and they are SO good too!

Smashed cauliflower. Steam your cauliflower until very tender and then smash it with a little sour cream and a little cream cheese, salt and pepper. ( you can use light cream cheese/sour cream or even soy and it is still really good)

Cucumber & tomatoe salad. Make a dressing using sour cream (light or soy is good for this also) red wine vinegar, splenda (or sugar) and pepper. My family eats this up like crazy!

We like to grill veggies and potatoes too. Especially corn on the cob. Pull the husk back and pull out all the silk. Put a little butter, salt and pepper on the corn then pull the husk back around it, wrap in foil and grill. YUM! For potatoes we chop the potatoes into cubes and add an onion, drizzle with a little olive oil and some garlic powder then wrap it in a foil pouch and grill. You could do this in the oven too... but we LOVE to grill! You can just chop up veggies of any kind, broccoli, zucchini, yellow squash, peppers, onions and grill them too. Grilling adds such a different flavor.

Green Beans.... my hubbies favorite is to cook the green Beans and then add a can of cream of mushroom Soup to them and eat them like that. My favorite is to saute some garlic and Tomato (grape tomatoes are best) in a little olive oil then add the green beans to that.

I could go on and on! This is getting long so I will stop for now. HAHA! Obviously some of these are more healthy then others. I usually cook at least 2 veggies with every meal. We try to keep the carbs lower... or at least the healthier carbs.

If at any time my daugther is resistant to eating veggies... adding parmesan cheese or letting her dip them in light ranch or some ketchup usually helps.

Good luck!

delicious ideas! wasn't home most of the weekend, but i did try the sweet potato fries. her highness was impressed by the "huge potato" i found at the store, so i had no trouble getting her to try the fries. both hubby and her liked them. i only got a couple, and i thought they were delish!

i just had a fill on Monday, so won't be able to try anything personally for a while. but do plan on adding more veggies to thier meals. only thing is i like to stock up on groceries and fresh veggies just don't last very long, hate that! i need to learn how to freeze them or something.

i gotta stop thinking about food, been wanting food all day, liquids are no fun!