Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am totally feeling you (OP). To compensate not being able to eat for comfort or boardom, I went back to smoking. Now, I have stopped smoking, and I am just nervous all the time and want to eat!!

It's so interesting to me that I found this thread tonight....I was about the post the same thing! I think my story is so similar. I've kept off 50 of the 100 I need to lose, but I have been banded since October 05! I have had to come to terms with the fact that I have sat in the same 2-3 pound cylce for over a year. I let my long work hours and many responsibilities just take me out of the game.

As far as eating, I have a relatively tight fill, but I manage to eat around it in small amounts, or late at night. I have slowly eaten full size meals until my stomach hurt. It has scared me to think that I could be damaging my body with an addiction to food. How sad it is to realize that I have found a way to "beat" the band...I wish I could try this over again.

So here's what I'm doing to change: I'm hitting the high Protein liquids for a few days. I'm going to check in with my surgeon (it's been a year!), and I'm going to exercise daily again. We have two choices after what feels like a big failure: you can choose to GIVE UP and fail further, or you can stand up and say I AM BETTER THAN THIS! I DESERVE BETTER THAN THIS.

So I guess this is a resart for me. Care to join me? You have another month until it's officially summer. How much can you accomplish for yourself between now and then?!?

Blessings to you this season. Go live victoriously!

-Jon

Before the band I had tried Weigh Down Workshop. I don't know if anyone else here has tried it but it focuses on healing your heart and mind through scripture. The program has changed and it's not as good as it used to be. Gwen Shambling (in my opinion) went off the deep end. Anyway, you would be amazed at how many references to food and eating that are in the Bible. It is good motivation. Did you know that Sodom and Gamora were not destoyed over lust. It was because God said they were "overfed and unconcerned" Well, that describes me pretty well. Yikes!:frown:

It's so interesting to me that I found this thread tonight....I was about the post the same thing! I think my story is so similar. I've kept off 50 of the 100 I need to lose, but I have been banded since October 05! I have had to come to terms with the fact that I have sat in the same 2-3 pound cylce for over a year. I let my long work hours and many responsibilities just take me out of the game.

As far as eating, I have a relatively tight fill, but I manage to eat around it in small amounts, or late at night. I have slowly eaten full size meals until my stomach hurt. It has scared me to think that I could be damaging my body with an addiction to food. How sad it is to realize that I have found a way to "beat" the band...I wish I could try this over again.

So here's what I'm doing to change: I'm hitting the high Protein liquids for a few days. I'm going to check in with my surgeon (it's been a year!), and I'm going to exercise daily again. We have two choices after what feels like a big failure: you can choose to GIVE UP and fail further, or you can stand up and say I AM BETTER THAN THIS! I DESERVE BETTER THAN THIS.

So I guess this is a resart for me. Care to join me? You have another month until it's officially summer. How much can you accomplish for yourself between now and then?!?

Blessings to you this season. Go live victoriously!

-Jon

u r so right......

I think you are right on that I need to figure out WHY??? I have lots to do with my hands but......I guess it just doesn't satisfy whatever needs satisfying!!!

I need to use the band as a tool...I have to put forth more effort.

I think it's important that you deal with the WHY you are doing this as soon as possible.... or try hypnosis to get rid of food addictions.... or eating for emotional health..... when you eat around the band.... the least that can happen is that you don't lose the weight you were hoping to or not at all.... but what is becoming more and more common is that people who eat around the band, end up losing it entirely... the numbers of band issues down the road (like 4 or more years) is increasing because band patients are not having immediate issues when they eat around the band, but it is catching up to them in the long haul. I am not even banded yet for a few more weeks, but I made sure that I was emotionally ready to start a completely new life of eating and exercise before being banded.... I am glad I took this extra time.... so many jump into it, or convince themselves that they are ready or that the band is the CURE.... without the emotional attachment to food (that most of us have, we love food!) under solid control... we can have major issues and will lose our bands. Take care of them, committ to eating healthy for life, don't find ways to cheat or eat or drink around it.... know that today we are ok, but tomorrow or in a few years we may not be and all this will have not made a difference because our love for things like ice cream will win in the end, if we don't committ to being healthy...things like ice cream are some of the most unhealthy foods that you can consume.... that's not to say that on special occassions we should deny ourselves... that would be unfair... but we should also not work hard to find "special occassions" to Celebrate by eating those things..... I don't mean to preach... but this was a serious decision that all of you and I am about to make.... get the help you need to conquer your addictions and emotional issues so the band can be the tool to help you be successful.... PLEASE DON'T LOSE YOUR BAND.... you are so worth it to keep it!

Kammi in Everett, WA

I just don't feel any restriction. Is it posssible that I have stretched out my pouch? I have had three fills. The third went too far and I had to have it taken out. So I don't understand why I'm not feeling the restriction. I have tried to eat things that would get stuck just to see whats going on and nothing EVER gets stuck! I haven't had anything get stuck in over two months. Does anyone know what's going on?:tt1:

I feel restriction, and it hurts when I overeat. Isn't it amazing the power of food addiction that I still will eat too much? Let's try and try and try again!

IMO, because the band is just a TOOL, not a cure, you must still commit to eating very healthy.... sometimes it takes several fills for the sweet spot to be hit.... you may get restriction immediately, but after healing, it's still not where you need it to be.... you still need to self monitor and regulate your food intake.... the band doesn't always do that, at least until you get to the point of proper restriction. Be patient, continue developing good eating habits... don't eat the things that you shouldn't eat or that are predicted to get stuck, maybe you need to get some nutritional counseling... or hypnosis ..... living with and taking care of your band is crucial to lifelong success.... there are more and more bansters out there losing there bands after a few years due to not changing life habits! Eat healthy! You will still need will power and a mental change of attitude to be successful with the band. If you eat all the things that made you obese in the first place, you will be right back to where you started... I wish you good luck. As for Super Daddy.... overeating, especially to the point of pain or discomfort is also eventually going to cause slippage over time as you will stretch your pouch out and your band can and most likely will slip. May take a few years, but it probably willl.... happening more and more with not taking care of our bands and not following aftercare lifestyle completely.

Kammi in Everett, WA

You mentioned people losing their band. How do you lose your band? I think I have stretched my pouch out. The stomach wall is a muscle. Will it shrink back down if I go back to basics? I have started the night before writting down what I will eat the next day and sticking to that. It helps. If I'm left to my own devises I'll end up at KFC. I'm very good at writting a diet out on paper but sticking to it is a problem. I know how to eat healthy. I could teach a class on it if I wanted. My problem is IMPULSE CONTROL. I know the TV is my biggest trigger. If I can just stick to the "no food while watching TV" rule I'd be cruizin.

You guys are so helpful. You're great motivators.:cry_smile:

Canaryqueen,

I have the same problem with eating while I read. I'm trying to switch to drinking Water or Propel while I read - see if I can still have the hand-to-mouth action but with a water bottle instead. Great way to get the liquids in :cry_smile:

Hugs,

Donna

By losing your band I mean exactly that! When you have slippage or erosion due to habits that you have that are against band rules.... after a few years (maybe a bit longer if you are lucky), it catches up with you and you are forced to have it removed... some not even lucky enough to have another one put in.... some choose the gastric bypass after having to have their band removed... it's happening more and more, especially with those that eat around the band and find ways to cheat it..... good luck on your ventures.... I hope you keep your band healthy.

Kammi in Everett, WA

Well, I certainly don't want to lose my band. I went through WAY too much to get it. I didn't realize that would happpen. That is sure motivation to do the right thing. I have been reading up on "slider" foods. I didn't realize that chips and pretzels were sliders. I thought since they were crisp that they would be good, but they dissolve into a slurry that goes right through. I've been eating nothing but slider foods. No wonder I don't feel restriction. Yesterday I stayed with solid Proteins and I certainly felt my restriction.

:woot: I have been banded since March 15, 2007. I have lost over 50lbs. But, I still have the horrible eating habits. I can sit down and eat 1/4 gallon of ice cream with no problem. All the good stuff goes through my band with no problem. What can I do to help this tool help me. Nights are the worst for me. I have lots of things that I can do but I always turn to food. I do exercise. Any suggestions? :confused2:

I found I was craving sweets. Ice cream and Cookies and cake! They all went down easy for me. When getting a fill this week I talked to the p.a. about it. She said I need to make sure I get my Protein in. She told me 60 gms a day! I am now having a Protein shake in the morning and a Protein Bar in the day. The Protein Bar makes a great snack and may satisfy the sweet tooth. I had my band too tight before and ate ice cream because I knew it would go down with no problem. I was hungry and meats, etc were getting stuck so I wasn't getting enough Protein. It does seem to be working better now. Try a protein bar instead of the ice cream. I like the MetRx Peanut Butter chocolate one.

:)