Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Off the wall questions

Guest USMC23

I was curious if anyone would know if blood in the saline solutions inside the band would hurt the band with time? Thanks!

there is no blood in the saline solutions...you need to find a good video on the lapband procedure...its only saline

Guest USMC23

Thanks for your respons actually I should have asked differently, I do my own fills and this last one I got a little blood in the syringe mixed with the saline and I wasnt sure if it would make a difference.

what made you decide to do your own fills? I don't think a little blood would hurt the band but I might just take all the saline out, discard it and start fresh by reinjecting the volume you discard.

Guest USMC23

well it was a combination of things, but mainly I wanted to be able to control how tight i wanted to be. I had surgery feb 23rd 07 and it took me eight fills to get to 8.5 and I liked where I was then. After time passed i decided i wanted to get prego and got a complete unfill but when I asked the doc if he would put me back where I was at 8.5 after it was over he said it would take the same number of times to get back to the 8.5. I just thought that was silly. I understand maybe doing a few cc's at a time but not just one. So I got what I needed and did my own. Everything went just fine and I can control it as I need. I just had gotten a little blood in the saline when I missed the port and tried to draw back, then I hit the port and flushed it and filled but I noticed it was pink from the blood so i was just curious if I did need to refill with new saline.

Oh my. Does your doctor approve of you doing your own fills? Have you been trained? Did your doctor teach you? This is unusual. Have you been following up with him/her? Do you get x-rays from time to time to check the band?

Sorry for all the questions. It's very unusual for someone to do their own. There is a lot of liabilty involved. If anything were to go wrong, would your doctor assume responsibility for that? Have you called your doctor to ask him/her about the blood in the band or saline? (Another good reason to have proper training).

There have been a few threads about this you many want to read.

~C

Guest USMC23

Nope my doctor has no idea and I understand that with insurance and everything that I am taking a huge risk. I just felt I had no choice. My partner is a nurse and she helped coach me when it came to the needles and everything. I also did a lot of research before I made my decision. Did you know there are even you tube videos on fills lol I didn't mean to start a huge up roar i just didn't know if anyone had any idea about the question. I am assuming if there is any problems I can just unfill and refill with pure saline. I don't recommend this to anyone it was definitely a personal choice. Thanks for everyone’s input though :biggrin2:

hey usmc23, I was only curious about why you decided to do your own, I am an N-ICU nurse and had planned to do my own too, figuring that since I was a self pay in mexico, insurance and liability blah blah blah... but then I went for my first fill and the way my port is postioned is slightly angled and my doc ( who has been in bariatrics for 38 or so years) had a bit of a hard time finding where to stick so I have opted to just keep going to him although I would really like to be able to do my own too. Like I said before, just discard the saline and do a complete refill, and it should be fine.

Guest USMC23

First off I just want to say thank you for taking care of those sick little ones, my partner starts in June St louis childrens NICU and and as proud of her as I am I know it is not the easiest work to do. Anyway, I decided to do my own because my port is easy to hit and I have a high tolerance for pain. It really wasn't bad at all and I just feel better knowing that I don't have to go through such a process just to use this tool for weight loss. It took a year for me to get up to the fill amount I needed because of the process the docs have to go through. Now if I need a fill or an unfill it takes me two seconds and I am done. So after a year of shame from not losing any weight I am finally losing and I am happy. I know it is a big risk because of insurance and I know I could have damaged my port by not using the special huber needle, but I am sure everyone will understand how desperate you can get when you face a life of being over weight. There is a point where you take a chance, I mean we all took a chance by getting surgery in the first place. I am not recommending this for others, I did a lot of research and had medically trained people around me to help.

Thanks!

Greetings, interesting topic. My doctor told our group that he didn't want anyone messing with the port, (especiallly the nurses! ha) Of the 500+ LB he has installed, he mentioned that one had to come out later because a nurse was putting in her own fills and got an infection. (I don't know details). Soooo, like others said, withdraw the tainted fill and put in new NS; I think that would be about all you could do. As to the specific question, platelets will clot and whole blood is a medium for bacterial growth, but to clinical relevance, don't know. When I get my LB, I plan on letting them do everything, because I fear that I don't trust myself. That may be the bigger issue. good luck.