Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! I'm starving and depressed!

I need some answers! I got banded last Monday, April 28th and I am starving and have been since wednesday! I called the nurse and she litterally told me to "suck it up" and I phoned my doctor and he told me I will be hungry for 3 more weeks until my fill I just need to "deal with it". I am completely depressed b/c I have bad headaches from being so hungry and my stomach is twisted from having nothing but liquids. I can't focus, I feel like I paid 17K dollars to be tourtured. I have called 14 people from the support list they gave me and not one of them were hungry after their surgery. I am a day away from eating what ever I can find!!! Help somebody!

I too was banded last Monday and I find that if I look at my Protein shake for my three main meals and everything else as extra it doesn't seem as bad. I use powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chocolate ( I have tried the vanilla but didn't like it as much) and even after a week they are still delish! I go in for my 1st followup visit on Friday and then I think I will move to pureed. Please don't give up, you have a goal in mind and that's what's most important. Feel free to write, maybe between us we can change your thinking to seem full.

Good luck

I'm sorry this is a struggle for you. Your body has been through a lot, with the surgery and the Fluid diet and all.

I think the not eating is also a sort of sensory derprivation. Do you have any sugar free popsicles you could chew on?

Hang in there, just remember we all went through it and that this is a short period of your life (even though it doesn't feel it).

You will do fine.

i got banded on 4/17. after the 3rd day i was STARVING. i got very blue and couldn't see beyond the "torture"

i promise..it gets better. the second you can have mushies you will feel better. you'll then eat mashed potatoes and mashed sweet potatoes and you'll feel a little more normal.

my doc said "oh, you're hungryyyyyyyyyy???" as if i was lying--but i really was. Nothing will make it better until you eat, but i ate a lot of ice pops..and i had some with sugar and some without so i had more energy. i got out of the house a little and walked down the block and back..helped lift my spirits.

honestly, i think many of us just have to 'suck it up' as bad as that is...mushies are coming soon.....MASHED POTATOES..

i'm not hungry that much (sometimes) on the mushies... you can do it!!

Ice pops..ice pops...ice pops try keeping a slew of them on hand and when your hungry grab one and suck on it slowly, takes a while to consume and gives you that hand to mouth motion of eating. Its only been a week wich is far to soon to just eat whatever you desire.

okpunkinpie, Your ok,, I don't know what your Dr instructions were, but for me (banded march 28) after 3 days I could go to mushy food, so I could have pureed broccoli, sweet potatoes, salmon,canned or baked skinless boneless, chopped and minced well, with a little mayo., cottage cheese, yogurt, mashed up strawberries, peaches, scrambled eggs,,creamed Soups, etc. So I hope you can have some of this, If you are still on liguids, go to the cream Soups, I found campbells butternut squash in a box is delicious and filling,,tomatoe basil, some like clam chowder and blend it a little more (I never liked clam chowder), These soups are a little more filling than clear broth. You should be able to have yogurt and Jello, and the popsicles and alternate with hot and cold drinks, and yes if you like them Protein shakes. The only one I like is walmarts whey Protein powder in vanilla mixed with ice, Vitamin Water or some flavored water or juice your allowed just a little though, the ice will do the work, and some fruit in the blender, no need for sugar. If you dont have fruit use yogurt or popsicles. you probably don't have any fill in your band yet, not all dr's put any in in the beginning so your pretty open, still.

Next, do things to take your mind off it,, go for a short walk since your just out of surgery,, go to the nearest flower shp or nursery and just enjoy the smells and flowers, (a park if you live near one), get away from tv and its food ads,, and away from your computer for a while. What do you like to do?

Go to a local pet store and just stroll around if you like animals. Go window shopping. Go to the library and look for a good book to buy off the sale rack. Go to a support meeting in your area that helps a ton.

I know this all sounds maybe a little silly but, part of my weight problem has been because I moved away from my kids and grandkids across country I have little to no outside connection or motivation to get out. When I am back east with them I start loosing weight, I am active, I am happier, but life demands right now i live in texas, I do travel back several times a year but is not enough. So when I decided to take this step I had to make myself look for ways to get out close to everyday as a start in any way I could. It really has helped. Through the support group I have met a few people whom I talk with regularly,, I go to a gym now several times a week, but if I am having a bummer day or feel I am hungry I get up and out the door,, it really has helped me.

I hope some of his helps you.

Newly banded gals and guys, just remember, some dr's put a little fill in the new ap bands but most do not. This means you are still pretty open, it also means you need to be careful not to overit or overfill it thinking it is not full. I found everything was going right down, even my meds without crushing, my nurse advised me to break them down anyway because you dont want meds sitting in the new stomach causing other problems down the line. Right now you are in the healing stage, it takes about 4 weeks for your insides to heal, your port to stabilize where it is positoned etc,, you will probably feel differently each week as you get use to your new band. You are emotionally and mentally healing and adjusting also,, so don't get to frazziled by the hunger pains,, they will work themselves out. Part of it is just your old ways trying to break out. Relax, don't be hard on yourself. As you get fills you will experience different levels of statity really you will. And you will say,, "oh,,,thats it" fantastic,,..

I found that the Glucerna drinks worked really well for me during my liquids phase. They are formulated to keep your blood sugar levels even so you don't get the headaches and shakes. Most drugstores carry them, or something similar.

Even on liquids you should be able to feel like you aren't starving, if you have Protein shakes / smoothies and cream Soups. Try to stay away from sugary stuff.

People have already posted some good strategies: distract yourself, chew on popsicles, get in your Protein, etc.

Here's a couple more:

1) Change your language. Avoid inflammatory words like "starving". Use "hungry" instead, even if you are really really hungry. Remind yourself that you aren't literally starving -- your body has plenty of fuel, which you are hoping to use up and get rid of. "I'm a bit hungry but I'll manage, and in the meantime I'm using my fat stores."

2) Have you experienced anything physically painful in the past, or some sort of chronic pain recently? Like breaking an arm, or having fibromyalgia? For me it's my sinus infections. Remind yourself that on a pain scale of 1 to 10, hunger is a pretty low number. "I can handle worse pain than this. I managed to handle the pain when ____, so I can handle a few days of being hungry, even if it's not comfortable."

You're going to make it! Don't mess up your band by eating solid foods too soon. :thumbup: And congrats on your surgery!

After a few days when I just couldn't eat another sip of broth or Isopure clear, I went to that Campbell's select butternut squash Soup. As somebody else stated, there are other flavors too, but this stuff saved me. I would add some milk to it to make it more runny, but man, this REALLY helped out a lot. Good luck!

Good Luck! Just keep in mind that all this is for a reason. Purchase a magic bullet or one similar to it and make you smoothies when you are hungry, I used fresh fruit, and soymilk for mine along with some Protein Powder. sugar free popsicles where always good too. If all else fails and you absolutely can't take it any more then get you some mushy mushy mushy mashed potatoes and suck on them. I also found the Campbell's Soup at Hand to come in very handy as you can drink them. It does get better. You can do it, just hang in there.

okpunkinpie,

Hang in there kid. I was on nothing but liquids 1 week prior to surgery and had 2 occassions where I had to order pizza for the occasion. When it arrived it smelled so good where I wanted to say the heck with it. I know this sounds kinda silly but at that point I couldn't beleive how much food had control of my life rather than me having control of the food so I went over to the pizza and took a strong wiff and began to chew like I had the pizza in my mouth. At that point I made myself a cup of Tomato Soup (thinned out with skim milk) and got beyond the point of failing. When I was in the hospital they served me creamed Soups which really did help the need for carbs. I would suggest fill up on things like Soups and be sure to be getting your protien.

Remember, it wont be like this once you get your fills and bottom line is the wait and effort will be worth it.

okpunkinpie, I was banded on April 28 also. I'm not real, real hungry but I am completely bored with drinking shakes. I'm so sick of the taste of sweet shakes. I'm on just shakes and Clear Liquids until this Sunday, Mother's Day. Then I get to Celebrate with some kind of flaky fish and mashed potatoes. I'm counting the days. I'm so tempted to start a little early. Are you on any kinds of Soups or just shakes?

If you can have Soups, get the campbell's 'soup at hand' chicken & stars, heat it up and sip the broth out of the top. Is good stuff!

You may be having carb or sugar withdrawl. That can feel like hunger but it is much worse. I was lucky because I had been through carb withdrawl before so I eased off carbs and sugar a few weeks before my surgery so that I wouldn't have the intense withdrawl feellings. Hang in there, in a few days that part will be over. You can do this. Once your body adjusts and you get some restriction you will love the band.

I hear you honey!!! I was banded 4/21/2008 and I am on full liquids and I am really hungry. I was out of work for a week and when I went back to work someone brought a chocolate cake with chocolate icing. I burst into tears when I saw it and cried for an hour. I finally had to admit that food was in control and take some responsibility. I am still hungry between "meals" but I am more able to wait it out. I am making my Soups a little thicker and sipping on those Protein Shakes. I can't wait until the mushies!! I have a week to go! But I broke the 300 pound barrier today and I will stick to it and so will you. Take care and be well.